Omnicell

Omnicell Chairman, President, and CEO Randall A. Lipps

Randall A. Lipps

Good people, so-so company

I worked at Omnicell

ProsVery knowledgeable people, enthusiastic about what they do

ConsGreedy company, too much politics

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not say you care and show you do not.

good

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Omnicell

Prosthe work environment is easy to get along with

ConsNot much responsibility is assigned to interns,

Advice to Senior ManagementSome company policies need to be changed with respect to hiring interns.

Full time for less than a year.

Production Floor (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA

I worked at Omnicell full-time for less than a year

ProsSome good people doing the work of many more. Decent amenities: break room, onsite gym and half basketball court for employees. Not much else.

ConsLittle to no professional growth is possible unless you're friends with someone higher up. Unqualified management on many levels due to this stagnant method of promotion. New and current employees are not treated with respect, although this may vary from manager to manager. New employees start temporary and are often told that their services are not needed on a whim. In the length of time I was employed I was told 4 times take time off. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, this company does not value job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be held by qualified personnel. Select managers in this company definitely would not have equivalent positions in any other company.
Even someone at the bottom can see that this company has its priorities backwards. To succeed, a company that produces a product should emphasize quality, innovation, personnel, and sales and marketing; in that order, but here at Omnicell, only sales and marketing seem to be the only thing upper management is interested in.

Too much top-down management.

I worked at Omnicell

ProsInteresting product lines but slower development cycles.

ConsBad management, could be improved by making more flat organization.

Frustrating place

I worked at Omnicell

ProsHealth care, some smart people, generally flexible work environment

ConsHighly political, little appetite for innovation or risk, weak Sr. Executive team

All rewards geared towards the top.

I worked at Omnicell

Proswonderful people to work with at levels below management. people work their hearts out and receive very few rewards for their efforts.

Consbenefits are meager. told we must take all of vacation time accrued within specified time period. this benefit is not a benefit if there is no flexibility as to when it can be used.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't say one thing and do another. told that mandatory use of vacation would prevent future layoffs but the layoffs have never stopped

A lot of internal dysfunction.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Omnicell

ProsThe products play a valuable role in hospital's provision of efficient and quality healthcare. The customers are great to work with.

ConsOrganizations do not work together well. Multiple examples of "us" vs. "them." A lot of distrust between organizations and immature behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more--with entire employee base and cross-functionally at the management level. Set an example in cooperating and supporting each other's organizations and recognize managers and employees who do this too.

workload unmanagleable - Project mgr expect to work 60+ hours

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Omnicell for more than 5 years

ProsJob security. not enough project managers or implementation specialist to handle the demand.

Conslong hours
Project time shorten which is why the long hours.
PMs do everything, test, train, implement, and manage projects. One show pony that does it all. Does the same job as Implementation Specialists but more responsibility.

Research Carefully

Systems Sales Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Omnicell

ProsMiddle management was extremely supportive but not given the latitude to make decisions.

ConsUpper management stiffled creativity and had a sell at all cost mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people and empower them to make decisions. The reason why the Soviet Union fell apart was due to centralized leadership.

Changes

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Omnicell

ProsGreat customer base. Omnicell used to have a great staff and good middle management, unfortuntely most if not all those people have moved on either by their own choice and were forced out.

ConsExtremely poor operations management. Dyfuntional management from company headquarters, company seems to lack any long term vision about it's staff. VP operations lived by this phrase regarding the operations staff. "Hire fast, fire faster." Not a good way to attract people of quality and it shows. I doubt upper management know or cares about how company is run, all they seemed to care about was what The Street thought of the company. Internally employee base ridicules customer base. They do not take customers suggestion seriously and out right ingore operations/install staff.

Sad because years ago when I joined Omnicell it was a great place to work and the best work expereince I had. It ended as one of the worst. I would not go back to work there without a large salary increase and a change in operations management and additude.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to make some whole changes in upper management in the operations division. Spend some time doing some research into field operations and make wholesale changes where needed. That dividion is THE face of your company and right now it's the face of discontent. No one I worked with was happy with the way things were going.

Worked for Omnicell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Omnicell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Omnicell CEO Randall A. Lipps. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Omnicell employees.