On-Ramp Wireless Reviews

14 reviews filtered by
2.5
Kevin Hell

1. Innovative, collaborative and welcoming place to work

I have been working at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

On-Ramp has a wealth of engineering talent whose innovations clearly differentiate the company's technology from its competitors. Collaboration is encouraged and management and peers are great about recognizing accomplishments, and management is good about communication. There are always activities going on and everyone is very welcoming and down to earth. Good environment - professional, yet fun.

Cons

Company is a start-up. Location could be closer to home.

Advice to Management

Continue communication with your employees. It helps to know where we are and where we are headed.

2. I love working at a place where I feel like my co-workers are an extension of my Family.

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Operations is fun and progressive. We bond a little and we have a good team. The free snacks are great and the company events are always an awesome time. This Company is rich in culture and offers new experiences. The best part about this company for me is that, it's so small that everyone's work is vital to the companies success. You feel like you make a difference here and make good things happen in the company.

Cons

As with all companies there is going to be an imbalance of ego and personality traits clash. Don't let that deter you from any comapny because you will have that everywhere. The key is that situations are resolved in a proffesional manner and i believe that is what On-Ramp Wireless does for it's employees.

Advice to Management

Operations management is all i can speak of. We have a successful team of highly motivated employees who work very well together. I have not experienced any mangement concerns nor do i forsee any.

Horrible place to work, stay away.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I worked at On-Ramp Wireless

Pros

Not things to talk about, the technology is OK, but it is proprietary technologies.

Cons

Small start up, politics are do big, high turn over, 3 years working at this place so I know, don't bother to interview, run stay away.

I woke up and realized that working here was a joke!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building, underground parking, great lunches (when they are there)

Cons

The senior executives and management are remarkably incompetent. They hire sales people who have no experience, they laid off (or fired) all the sales people and project engineers that had utility experience. They raise money on false promises (meaning they promise one thing and deliver nothing) One college stated it best " This is a narcissistic company who prides itself" They have 2 products that work and that's all.

Advice to Management

To the Board, replace your senior management and bring in EXPERIENCED utility folks that can help this company move forward and then there is hope that their will be a return from this amazing investment in this company. Focus on delivering products instead of promising them. Treat your employees with respect instead of disdain. One should not go to work everyday with the fear on being laid off or better yet fired.

A long slow slog

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It recently has appeared the company won't fail anytime soon. They got their first small/mid sized contract, so hopefully the investors will continue to put money into the company.

Cons

How do you feel working for a company that has high turnover? Some of it is voluntary, but much of it is constant layoffs followed by hiring new people. About two or three times a year for the last several years they have had company wide layoffs. Each one can be as few as 3 people or as many as 20 (in a company size of 90). They are seemingly semi-random in who they hit and it always happens just before an all hands meeting. The sales group is perpetually a revolving door, but engineering makes up the bulk of the company and therefore the layoffs. If your a sales person considering working for this company I would do some serious research first.

Being a late stage startup (8 yrs old) its chances of being bought (every startups big hope) becomes slimmer every month. If they survive I suspect this company will have to do it the old fashioned way: slowly build up a customer base and wireless infrastructure network over time and slowly become revenue positive. That is not a good outlook for your stock options.

Advice to Management

Reading the reviews here I think its all been said before.

7. Great Technology and Fun Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting and cutting edge technology. Nice offices and fun work environment.

Cons

Need to be more focused on delivering the end product to the customer.

Advice to Management

Leverage the technology, but focus on the product pipeline. Deliver what the customer want.

8. A tragic tale of incompetence, miss-management, & leadership

I have been working at On-Ramp Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technology works, their is a real need for this product in the market, but you must have a solution not a widget.

Cons

inability of Senior Executives to execute a plan. They are very good at raising money and spending it, but cannot deliver on any products! The senior management lacks creditability, have little or no experience in the space they are working in.

Advice to Management

worry less about internal politics, and deliver what the investors want, a viable long term company with solutions that work versus hype.

9. Catty politics; horrible management

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at On-Ramp Wireless as a contractor

Pros

Great for recent grads who cannot obtain any other job. Good location, good snacks, that's about it.

Cons

Horrible, horrible, horrible management. Managers speak down to employees and are completely unprofessional. No constructive criticism here... just criticism.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a real manager. It is not okay to treat your employees like dirt. Productivity is a two way street.

10. It's complicated, but

I have been working at On-Ramp Wireless

Pros

- Somewhat flat company culture. Walking into a VP's office and saying his plan is stupid is encouraged (but best be right).
    - Significant responsibility given to those who prove themselves.
    - Lots of from-scratch work development work and broad variety of tasks.
    - Lots of opportunity to work on things outside your core skillset.
    - Unique wireless technology means lots of weird and interesting problems to solve.
    - Crazy hours are usually not required.

Cons

- Senior management was mostly uncommunicative until recent CEO replacement.
    - Bad combination of no startup vibe but startup miserliness.
    - Company culture expects and rewards completely self-managed engineers who autonomously seek out problems and tasks, but this is frequently not made clear to the employee. If you want to sit at your desk and be fed tasks you will be unhappy here.
    - Despite the work being challenging and satisfying, most people wouldn't describe it as a "fun" place to work.

Advice to Management

Employees are motivated by more than just important business deals.

11. Run, don't bother interview here

I worked at On-Ramp Wireless full-time

Pros

Good product and it works. A lot of engineering talent here for sure.

Cons

Management has been and continues to be in total disarray. Complete lack of focus and direction in the marketplace and there is no teamwork whatsoever. Agree with other assessments that egos get in the way and prohibit the success of the company. Funding is on a total rollercoaster.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with better respect and communicate!