On-Site.com

3.4

Jake Harrington

Unique Experience

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's fun to feel like part of something big. The company keeps growing and adding people and new products all the time. It makes me think this is what facebook or google were like at the beginning. If you can make it through the first 90 days they are flexible on hours. If you have an emergency or you need to pick up your kids during the day the managers are understanding. People sometimes are allowed to work from home. The president and CEO intimidated me until I actually talked to them. They are super smart and helpful and all around nice. They actually like it when you approach them. The open door policy is real, and it makes a huge difference from other places I've worked. I've never felt more welcome or at home at an office as I do here.

Cons

Small nit to pick. Sometimes you need to work around certain people to get stuff done. Don't get me wrong. I love my coworkers. It's just I think there needs to be more accountability with some folks.

Hire a few male supervisors (it's 100% women right now) and invest more in management training. Create a real manager in training program and I bet the complaints about inexperienced managers will go away. I see it happening, just not fast enough

I liked working here.

I worked at On-Site.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked closely with both Engineering and the CEO, and sometimes with the support team also. I liked everyone I worked with very much. It was fun, at least for me. It is true there are managers who are inexperienced. This is the flip side of promoting from within, which how these managers became managers.

The CEO can appear to be unapproachable, but I always found that if I jumped in the office with a problem, he listened, was receptive and helpful, and addressed it. I think several remarks made in other reviews are very unjust. I really liked the CEO and all of the management. I enjoyed working for them.

At the time I was working here, I was paid in the top range of my field at the time. My reviews were regular and helpful, and raises were generous.

Cons

The business operates similarly to a start-up, though they are now established in their market. Everyone works hard. Comp time was frowned on, but when I asked for it, I always got it.

When I was there, Engineering development happened without anything I would now consider to be minimal QA.

Leadership didn't communicate well with each other or to the team as a whole. This really hurt the business, both in terms of morale, and in leading to decisions that were bad for the team, product and brand.

Most of the executive team became the executive team while they were at this company. They have not taken management classes, or worked in other companies where they would learn management norms or how good and bad management looks to an employee. However, they are good people who are interested in running a good business - ultimately are succeeding in running a good business. So if you're interested in being a part of that, this will be a good place for you.

(Thumbs up for the perks!)

Weekly or every-other-weekly meetings, even just a stand-up, with the entire team to let them know how the business is doing and whatever is going on week to week would really have helped during the time I was there. When people don't know why any decision has been made, the decision looks random. Decisions that seem random always seem bad. So when you don't communicate, it seems to your team that you are making random, bad decisions. That ultimately erodes trust and satisfaction for your team.

Don't focus exclusively on feature development, and start streamlining the product and code base. Some recent products out there that have fewer features work a lot better.

A real QA team that can set up and maintain automated testing is way overdue, if one hasn't been established.

Mostly happy here

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Killer product used by customers that love it. Engineers are always building new stuff, though it is sometimes painful to service the legacy systems that customers want it integrated with. Nice perks, management is friendly. Open environment, no cubicles (even the CEO has no office). Lots of promotions from within.

Cons

Vending machines were replaced with all healthy food and drinks. Now I need to go across the street to the deli for soda and candy. LOL. My stand-up desk broke and management didn't notice till I brought it to their attention.

More free food trucks. Free flu shot earlier in the season. Better beer variety and wines at company events. I mean Napa Valley isn't that far away!

Good Company, Great Perks... for Most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time

Pros

I work in the company's Washington satellite office. It's a beautiful building and the location is good for my commute. I've worked at On-Site for several years, and when I started, I was doing customer service. Since I've been here, I've been pushed to take on new roles and it's really allowed me to learn. My coworkers and my manager are good friends.

Cons

My only gripe is that while we did start getting free fruit each week, our office is small and doesn't get the same perks as the silicon valley headquarters. Such as free gym memberships, yoga, shuttle service to work, free food trucks on Fridays, a professional massage guy who comes around each week, a shoeshine guy, free lunches for people who work weekends and overtime, free dry cleaning and childcare, multiple snack bars, special work and anniversary prizes, and a pet friendly office.

Don't forget about us up north!

This is where my soul died.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Campbell, CA

I worked at On-Site.com full-time

Pros

The reviews for On-Site seem like they were written by management, because they describe a company that is nothing like the one I worked for. On the positive side the product On-Site makes is probably the best in the business. Their website helps landlords manage their apartments and it works wonders. It's cool to interact with them and make their lives easier.

A food truck comes in once a month and the break rooms have coffee, tea and fruit. There is a holiday party and a summer party where everyone gets to cut loose and have a few drinks. The main office is located in downtown Campbell and there's lots of lunch options in the area.

Cons

Morale at On-Site is low. Like real low. And management is either ignorant about this or they just don't care. For me at least, the problem had to do with a lack of strong management, awful hiring practices and poor training.

There is no middle management here. Things are left in the hands of an incompetent few with no education and no experience running a call center. Meanwhile senior leadership is off counting their dollars. This company makes money hand over fist and none of that appears to be going back to the employees.

The call center is filled with old people. I appreciate the fact that On-Site is an equal opportunity employer, but when you are young you'd probably like to work with people whose main topic of conversation isn't about their age related health problems. Hiring seems to be based on who comes off as the least threatening. Anyone with talent and career aspirations gets the boot.

Training practices seemed to be improving, but while I was there only a few key call center reps had any clue what they were doing and we were always left holding the bag. The rest of the poorly trained or simply unintelligent reps played pass the call all day or did bad work that had to be fixed later.

Few perks. You get an okay wage and health benefits that are constantly being changed. That's about it. Seemed like I had a new health plan shoved in my face every six months.

Weekends and overtime are expected, especially during the busy summer months. Great if you like work. Bad if you work here.

Bring in a real management team to run your call center. Try and offer more perks like catered lunches. Talk to your employees and listen to their concerns once in awhile. As it stands you all come off as unapproachable.

Brilliant business concept but wasn't my favorite place to work.

I worked at On-Site.com

Pros

-Great business concept
    -Opportunities to learn
    -Decent pay, great benefits.
    -Monthly department meetings at first, not sure why they stopped doing these. They were beneficial.
    -Monthly lunch parties

Cons

-Lack of communication
    -Negative work environment
    -Used fear of losing your job as a motivator (awful tactic!) rather than promoting hard work through encouragement, optimism and a lead by example approach.
    -Too many bugs in the system and technical problems to even count.
    -Poor leadership, inexperienced managers.
    -Unkept promises of reviews and raises.
    -WAY Understaffed
    -No Human resources or recruiting department (this allowed for a lot of incompetent candidates being hired and bringing down the entire team.)
    -Change in ownership was far from fluid and nobody really knew what was going on most of the time.
    -Managers were often too busy to help when a situation called for it, yet found time to micromanage. (Lack of experience and being unsure how to positively encourage and motivate employees sometimes leads to micromanaging) Remember, we're all adults.
    -Was "asked" to (expected to) do overtime on a DAILY basis, leaving employees with no energy or time for a work/life balance.
    -Review process was nearly non-existent. B level employees weren't informed of their shortcomings or how they could improve. Therefore A level employees had to pick up the slack for those who weren't pulling their weight without being recognized or compensated for this.

A lot of work with sub-par training and support

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Campbell, CA

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some people are easy to get along with

Cons

-low pay increases
    -Uneducated mid-level managers
    -unprofessional management
    -CEO is unapproachable
    -keep their employees in constant fear to produce results
    -unstructured
    -poor training
    -site is constantly going down
    -allow customers to treat their staff poorly with no follow up
    -too many internal relationships that negatively affect the business

Get to know your people and focus on builidng a "people first" organization

Rewarding culture and great customers

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our managers work as hard or harder than they ask of us, which is motivating (and rare to find). Family-oriented culture in a fast-moving environment. The tech team seems to have new products all the time.

Cons

Business picks up a lot in the summer, so we seem to get slammed with customer calls and staffing hasn't always kept up.

Thank you for the opportunity, especially the recent health care benefits plan.

An amazing experience of growth, learning, teamwork, and impact

Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Campbell, CA

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment is high-energy with lots of young, fun people. You will experience very few restrictions if you want to take on a project and run with it

Cons

A lot of things are happening at On-Site, and the company's growth can make it difficult to keep up with it all. And if you can't keep up, you risk getting lost in the shuffle. Still, management recognizes and promotes the people who own their jobs and show an ability to follow through.

Think about adopting a policy of shedding the bottom 20% performers every year.

Friendly management, growing company

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at On-Site.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The organization is very flat, so upper management is very accessible and personable. For instance, I'm a client services rep and there is exactly one level between me and the president of the company. We seem to be growing like crazy, and I feel like the whole open door culture helps feed into it.

Cons

Most of the middle managers in customer service are pretty green, and can sometimes be a little paranoid that other managers are gunning for their jobs. Still, their insecurity is pretty easy to navigate. Also, the flat structure can limit your opportunities to rise up into management, but if you put in at least a year, they are very open to letting you explore other roles within the company.

I think it's pretty obvious that as the business grows and changes, we've all got to grow and change along with it. I can see that a few people here are having a hard time with that, and management should address their sense of entitlement before it becomes a problem.