On Target Jobs

Add Photos

Michael Tansey

Ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team work good managers lots of flexible hours discounted merchandise friendly patrons clean store fairness to workers

Consnot ht best starting pay rates very close to min wage and hourly employees takes a long time for pay hikes

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay

It's a good thing this company was acquired.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsActually the best reason to work here was flexibility. However, I do believe that you could read flexible as no one really caring.

ConsThe management and specifically HR is horrible. Collectively they have zero people skills, there is no company culture except hurry up and wait for the next shoe to drop. If you are not young, pretty, dumb and amiable, don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to run a people oriented business, like this one, I would suggest hiring people that actually cared about other people. It starts internally, and if management and HR collectively do not care about their employees, how do they expect their employees to go out and connect with clients and build a successful business?

Sinking ship, do not get on board.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsMoney used to be great, now it's okay.
    Good place to start at the entry level and get your first promotion.
    Fun sales people

Cons"Do more, take less" was managements mantra each and every time commission goals and pay structure were rolled out. To a degree that's what you expect anywhere you go, but it got really extreme.

If you expect to be treated fairly, or have the same level of opportunities as the other people with your exact same title, prepare to be disappointed. The way it works there is that they decide who they like, and they set those people up for success, and they decide who they don't like and set those people up for failure. How they decide who they do and do not like is a mystery, and it certainly doesn't have to do with sales ability. So some people do no real work and get great paychecks, and some people bust their asses and have nothing to show for it.

Advice to Senior Management1. Product issues are not solved with better selling.
    2. The production of a top seller is not as easily replaced as you must think (even though that's what your bottom line clearly says, clearly it's not a message that has gotten through)
    3. Either stop having sales meetings, or listen to your sales people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm so glad I didn't read GlassDoor before I took this job.

Pros* Amazing People - both in management and in the trenches
    * Great Environment - the offices are super nice, big desks, newly updated technology
    * Interesting Work - there's social good in helping people find jobs
    * Best-of-Breed Architecture - new code uses DDD, CQRS, and other solid patterns
    * Transparency - publish a lot of internal metrics and publishing more all the time
    * Fun Activities - pot lucks, softball, volleyball, Wii Bowling league, MarioKart tournaments, quarterly hackathons, happy hours, the list goes on...

I'm so glad I didn't read GlassDoor before I took this job. Apparently OTJ under previous management didn't have the best reputation and some of the other reviews on here show it. That said, I have enjoyed working here immensely, getting to know the crew, and helping to build best-of-breed job boards.

Cons* Not a lot of innovation time outside of the quarterly hackathons
    * Only a few cross-department activities (softball, vollyball, potlucks) which makes it more difficult to get to know people outside of your quadrant of the office
    * Parking is available in the tower, but most people have to park at the top of the tower, even though the covered parking levels are mostly empty

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the increasing transparency and increase investment in new technologies. Develop new ways to encourage cross-department cooperation that doesn't have to go through the mid-level managers.

Revolving Door

Denver, CO

ProsFree drinks at company events

ConsBad performance reviews, STAR Awards are a popularity contest nominated by peers instead of management, executive team likes to stroll the office towards the end of the day to make sure you are at your desk working, most of the executive team flies into Denver on a weekly basis while people are being laid off great way to spend money!!!!, no chance for advancement, no on-going training, no collaboration across the organization, marketing department is a revolving door, sales department is unhappy and no one seems to notice, too much turn over in IT and I don't know the name of anyone in accounting.

I've seen some of the reviews on here that are decent rating and I feel like it's someone in HR doing it so the company doesn't look bad. Too Late!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring from outside the company as there are plenty of qualified people under your nose. Too much of a "good old boys club" that you cannot get into (unless you are married to a member).

I also feel like management would not be able to do my job, I would love to see someone on the executive/management team sell a package to an employer, handle payment issues or try to fix someone's email issues.

Chop shop

Sales (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsWas the best company in the world before it was sold.

ConsWas the face of a VC who liked to buy out niche job boards enticing company recruiters to post their jobs on a more "industry-specific" site in hopes of finding more fitting, qualified, "passive" job seekers than the usual suspects on the general sites (IE CBuilder, Monster, etc...) could have been a great concept but no effort, money, strategizing, or personnel standards were even attempted. The "plans for restructure" and using our new investors' money to gain exposure and improve product management were nil. Instead they focused more on cutting the fat, setting people up with sales territories doomed to fail while others basked in commission, and sales plummeted. Job posting packages were being made up on the spot for the sake of making the sale. One example- usual cost to post one job was $400. It was common practice to throw free postings (one contract was for 10,000 postings at $1499/Month) because the postings produced no hires or qualified applicants to ANY clients. In fact most postings received an average of 3 views and .2 applies (educated and in no way sarcastic guess). The The niche boards were spread out all over the country and even though EACH one of them was provided a complete C and VP Level Staff brought in by the VC, the CEO's just shrugged until most of the boards ran themselves into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are in middle management, you will be the last to be told and the most affected. Do research on repercussions if your company is acquired and what to look out for when the new suits start making changes.

An excellent learning opportunity at best

Englewood, CO

ProsThere are many talented people there and the company has so much potential. An exciting place to work.

ConsThe whole adds up to less than the parts. Distracted senior management consistently unable to match message with action.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your product, too many people with multiple titles and responsibilities. How about adding an operating officer?

Great place, great people

Englewood, CO

ProsPositive working environment, great culture. They are very flexible and provide good benefits. Multiple company outings supported by management. Office is pretty neat as well.

ConsNoting worth complaining about. The people are good, competent, and seem to care about what they are doing. It would be awesome to have more career advancement chances, but it is a growing company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to make the products better, make sure morale stays high, keep hiring good people. It would be nice if technology was more responsive, but I think they are doing the best they can.

OnTargetjobs

Programmer (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood space in theory; job boards are fun!

ConsManagement would close doors and scream at employees; they fired people while on vacation just because they got upset they were gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself.

Too many chiefs

Englewood, CO

ProsIt's an okay company. No clear direction of where they're going. Too much conflict between IT and leadership slowed progress and kept us way below the technologies of our competition.

ConsDisappointed that I wasn't aware of the changes of going to an "enterprise" structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a VP for every 3-5 people really isn't necessary.

Worked for On Target Jobs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at On Target Jobs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for On Target Jobs CEO Michael Tansey . All 20 reviews posted anonymously by On Target Jobs employees.