OnDeck Reviews

Reset
4.4
OnDeck CEO Noah Breslow
Noah Breslow

Pros
  • Mission to actually change the world for small business owners (in 7 reviews)

• I've been consistently impressed by the strategy, communication, and execution of the management team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no "cons" working at OnDeck (in 2 reviews)

• A considerable amount of fraudulent activity goes on within the sales team (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great in all aspects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't believe how much I love working at OnDeck. It sounds cliche and I saw it below but it's a strange feeling waking up and actually looking forward to going to the office. Every employee is top notch, and there is a great work hard play hard mentality. There aren't many slackers because everyone feeds off of each others' energy but everyone also understands the importance of a balance between work and having some fun. Even on days that aren't going my way I still say I love OnDeck. What this company is doing is amazing and this is only the beginning. Also just want to throw in there that you can approach literally anyone in the company with even the most basic of questions and they will stop what they're doing to help you out. That alone is more than most companies can say.

Cons

Honestly none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. Rewarding but challenging

Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been there a couple of months, and everyone respects your opinion from the get go. I'm constantly challenged and expected to perform at a very high level. Everyone is really smart and motivated. Upper management is very dedicated to the company vision and open culture.

Cons

Growing pains There is a lot of legacy crap that they are working hard to overhaul

Advice to Management

Fix the UX/website

A company with great potential, but is losing focus and innovative touch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck (Less than a year)

Pros

The work schedule here is not too hectic. Teams have the freedom to choose the technology stack they feel comfortable using. The company is focused on increasing efficiency and agility. A very customer centric company.

Cons

It's very difficult to see how one can climb the corporate ladder. Seems like good oratory skills are rewarded more than actual contributions to the company. Lot's of decisions are made by people are not close to front lines of engineering. As a result a lot of odd and awkward decisions are made which result in waste. Many times projects were launched only to be shutdown so that a shortcut could be taken instead. After IPO, a lot of effort is spent on becoming compliant, so it feels like we are quickly losing ground to our competitors on the innovation front. Space is a constant issue for the company. It's an old problem, which seems will never be resolved. The company is not performing as well as it used to. Despite this fact, the executives continue to collect hefty bonuses and stock option compensation while everyone else has their bonuses cut. Unfortunately, it's a problem that endemic to most corporations, sadly this place is not much different.

5. Decent, But Stressful

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has all the perks - lots of catered lunches, happy hours, video games. Unlimited overtime, lots of rewards for top performers. Genuinely liked the CEO and some others at the top of the chain. Young and energetic employees in the sales roles. A good company to work for if you're young, single, and don't have a lot of responsibilities outside of work. They will hire almost anyone who commits to working 60 hour weeks and making 300 calls daily, education and experience aside.

Cons

Selling for OnDeck is a huge commitment. Sales is heavily encouraged to work as much as possible - those who need to balance their lives with work are shunned if they don't devote themselves completely to working as much as possible. Quota constantly rose in anticipation of better marketing, but the results were always short of the projections. Commission scale would reduce take home pay almost every single quarter. Hiring practices shifted away from experience and education to young and money hungry. A "what have you done for me today" mentality. Missing quota one month can get you demoted or fired.

Advice to Management

There once was a good thing going at OnDeck. Yes, you have a big budget for providing perks; but that doesn't translate to genuinely caring about your subordinates. The majority of sales reps have to sacrifice happiness to have job security - not a great long term plan.

Good Experience

I worked at OnDeck full-time

Pros

Learned a lot about the industry as a whole. Decent commission structure if it didn't change all the time while they "perfected" it. Good employee culture.

Cons

Constantly changing commission structure. Selling high interest loans. Ideas are heard, but either ignored or never pushed forward.

Brainwashing at it's Best

Pros

Free food Nice laptops Some nice swag occasionally

Cons

Close to zero mobility. You are just a cog in the machine. Provide your function, and go home. It's like working at a big bank, only you get to wear jeans and a T-Shirt, and you don't have to work 100 hour weeks. But you have about the same level of autonomy and influence in the company as a rank and file employee at JP Morgan or Citi. Everyone is expected to go above and beyond when it comes to work, but when the time comes for reward the regular workers, they get what is "inline with the market", while the people at the top take a big piece of the cake. So much for, "everyone feeling like they own the company". No surprise people jump to new companies 6 months into the job.

Half of these "5 star" reviews are from HR (Keep it up, Keep going, Keep doing what you're doing...)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, Not much else.

Cons

No advancement potential. Company is a sinking ship since the IPO management overhaul. Very non-competitive salary for most departments. HR is a mess. Political nightmare like a previous reviewer stated. Cronyism at it's finest for upper level positions. Company-wide lack of communication across all teams/offices.

Advice to Management

Advice to HR - Come up with better fake reviews. How many reviews can you possibly write telling management to keep it up, keep doing what you're doing and keep going??? Readers aren't as naive as you might think they are - Neither are your employees. Spend less time monitoring your reviews on Glassdoor and more time listening to your employees and you would not be in the current HR nightmare that you are in with dozens of employees leaving each month.

A Wonderful Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was here for 3 years and loved every minute of it. The entire team was a joy to work with. We pushed each other to be better and to bring our "A" game every day. Despite being on the sales side of the business, I was fortunate to interact with most of the other departments - marketing, bd, legal, operations, peopleops, product, and web. The thing that always struck me was how well we all got along. OnDeck always felt like a team trying to help the "little guy" (small businesses) out. It's plausible I'll never work in a better environment again.

Cons

Though it was being corrected before I moved West, I would have appreciated a clearer picture into how my career could evolve. The company grew quickly so each person's growth was difficult to map, but I'm happy to hear this has gotten better.

Advice to Management

This place is great. Keep producing leaders.

Been here 5+ years and still loving it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

People live the values of the company. Great socially-minded mission (supporting small businesses) with lots of career development potential. Culture really feels like a family. It's very exciting and rewarding to be a part of this high growth company!

Cons

Pace of hiring can seem excessive at times. But company does a great job training and integrating new employees.

Advice to Management

This company is very well run. We just need to stick to what's made us successful in the past - being 100% focused on small businesses, disciplined with respect to growth/credit management, and laser focused on execution.

Political Nightmare

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at OnDeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Snacks in the kitchen. I don't really have much to say here. Nice views of the city. Some people are actually nice

Cons

This place is a toxic environment. Senior Management Cares more about their title and turf vs making this place grow. The amount of office gossip and maneuvering is disgusting. You can't trust anyone. They don't promote within except if you we're employed very very early on. Even some of the early employed people have had marginal career growth. HR Team is incompetent and completely worthless Bad Office Culture! I hated coming to work every day. So Happy to move on.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring big corporate executives that care more about themselves then the overall growth of the business.

RSS Feed </> Embed