OnDeck Reviews

54 reviews filtered by
4.7
OnDeck CEO Noah Breslow
Noah Breslow

Pros
  • Mission to actually change the world for small business owners (in 7 reviews)

• Innovative product, great culture, top-notch management team, happy employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • because we are growing so fast, there are growing pains (in 2 reviews)

• There are no "cons" working at OnDeck (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great in all aspects

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't believe how much I love working at OnDeck. It sounds cliche and I saw it below but it's a strange feeling waking up and actually looking forward to going to the office.

Every employee is top notch, and there is a great work hard play hard mentality. There aren't many slackers because everyone feeds off of each others' energy but everyone also understands the importance of a balance between work and having some fun.

Even on days that aren't going my way I still say I love OnDeck. What this company is doing is amazing and this is only the beginning. Also just want to throw in there that you can approach literally anyone in the company with even the most basic of questions and they will stop what they're doing to help you out. That alone is more than most companies can say.

Cons

Honestly none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. Incredible!

I have been working at OnDeck full-time

Pros

OnDeck, a Google venture company is doing the tech scene right! Everyone is approachable and employees get this done! 100% work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

As cliche as it sounds, I don't have any cons. Maybe lack of office space starting to become an issue due to growth?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we're doing. Keep hiring talented employees who actually care of getting things done, have great personalities, and reinvent the tech scene!

3. Loan Operations Manager

Current Employee - Loan Operations Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Operations Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at OnDeck

Pros

- OnDeck is the leading company in the Small Business Lending Industry. The company had an IPO in December of 2014, which was a huge achievement and a milestone. We are constantly thriving, innovating and bringing in new talents.
    - There is a strong and experienced management team that always supports, develops and coaches the team and sets clear expectations.
    - Our offices are located in New York-NY, Arlington-VA, and Denver-CO.
    - There are lots of job opportunities in Operations, Technology, Analytics, and Sales.
    - Company offers competitive compensation and benefits package.
    - Fun, smart and diverse team. We work hard and play hard. The offices are equipped with game machines and Ping Pong tables. There are weekly happy hours and quarterly team outings.
    - The OnDeck Cafe is always stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits.

Cons

- Not flexible hours if you are a daytime student.
    - Possibility of overtime at will.

Honestly I don't see more cons. I enjoy working at OnDeck.

5. Amazing culture, passionate people, great product!

Current Employee - People Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - People Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is really focused on creating a great culture for it's employees with lots of perks. There is a passion and an energy in the office that makes coming to work every day fun. You are rewarded and recognized for working hard. After working at companies with horrible culture, OnDeck has opened my eyes to a world where you actually enjoy going to work and you're compensated for your talents!

Cons

OnDeck is still a start-up so we deal with start-up issues. We are growing quickly but trying to do it in the right way.

Supportive, Collaborative, Innovative Environment

I have been working at OnDeck full-time

Pros

OnDeck supports a culture of innovation and collaboration. You won't find anyone keeping their knowledge under lock and key or adding bureaucratic stumbling blocks. Everyone wants to pull their weight, wants to collaborate, is open and accessible - including management. This type of openness is the #1 thing I love about working at OnDeck.

Cons

We are (and have been) a growing company, so we are continually experiencing new growing pains hurdles. e.g. having to rearrange our seating locations frequently to accommodate new hires, spending non-trivial amounts of time interviewing candidates, constantly re-evaluating our communications/meetings/processes so that they can accomodate larger teams, etc. There is always some new management/administrative challenge in this regard, not to even mention the business challenges that we need to focus on to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep in touch with your employees so that you know how to keep them happy in their career path and that they know what they need to do to grow with OnDeck.

extremely open work environment!

I have been working at OnDeck

Pros

Awesome company culture, everyone is open and collaborative. There's a lot of opportunity to make a direct impact on the company in any field especially with how quickly we are growing. The product and service we offer is genuinely revolutionizing the small business lending space so everyone here is extremely passionate about what we're doing. Its truly a great place to work!

Cons

I wouldn't say there's any singular cons to working at OnDeck more like a con that's attached to any rapidly growing company. We're expanding really quickly and so there's certain pressures that arise with that and expectations to work harder longer hours. Its well worth the hard work though, everyone finds the work fulfilling!

Best decision I ever made

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Rapidly growing company
    -Access to senior management
    -Incredibly space - love small businesses
    -No two days are the same
    -Like to promote from within
    -Very flexible with vacation time
    -An HR Team that actually cares about you, answers your questions, etc.

Cons

-A lot is expected of you - not for the faint of heart or people who aren't willing to give it their all, sometimes fail, and learn a lot
    -You will be challenged. Every. Single. Day.
    -Working cross functionally can be tough.

9. Fast paced but balanced, a place you can make a difference

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that you can make a difference. New ideas are encouraged. People work together to get stuff done. Not everything is exciting to work on but a lot of it is. Basically everyone loves working here. Most people have a personal connection to small businesses (their uncle runs a dry cleaner or their cousin has a coffee shop) so people can really connect with the people we're trying to help. It makes you feel good at the end of the day.

Cons

You probably won't be the smartest person in the room so check your ego and be willing to learn from others. Not everyone can deal with that, so I'd say its not for everyone.

Advice to Management

We're 500 and still feel like a small company, let's try to keep it that way. Also some temp/hotel spaces for people who like the quiet might be nice.

10. Work Hard Play Hard Environment

Current Employee - Renewals Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Renewals Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at OnDeck

Pros

Excellent culture, great rewards for your hard work, although we are growing you still get individual recognition, public company!

Cons

We are growing quickly which makes it hard to get to know everyone. I am starting to see faces in the kitchen that I don't recognize.

11. Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Senior Loan Adviser, Direct Channel in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Adviser, Direct Channel in New York, NY

I have been working at OnDeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm in sales. For anyone who has been part of a sales team before, you know that the environment nearly as important as the compensation. There are companies that can be cut-throat, and then there can be companies that offer little motivation to succeed. This company is neither. It's the most fair, friendly-competitive atmosphere I've ever worked in. I truly feel part of a team. At the same time, we work hard, but you are fully compensated for your efforts. Quotas are reasonable, and each person can be equally as successful as the next. There are no ceilings to commissions. The company also values social interaction and creating a true culture - we have at least four social events per month.

Cons

The only con is really the work day. It can be long (minimum 8:30ish AM to 6:30 PM), but it's like you're coming to work with friends. If you want to work with a great group of people, make a difference on a daily basis with businesses, and be compensated well for it, then the time you dedicate is well worth it.