OnLive Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Charlie Jablonski

Great co workers, not so great upper management

I have been working at OnLive

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, great folks to work with. There was an abundance of knowledge to be had. I came in worked for a year and left. This was probably the greatest work experience I've ever had.

Cons

Mark Jung, We did we hire this guy?

2. Awesome people

I worked at OnLive

Pros

Everyone at the company was really talented and kind. Couldn't have asked for a better place to work.

Cons

Direction wasn't fully there, but that wasn't really an issue with the engineering side...

Advice to Management

Would have been wise to ask the company itself for ideas/opinions on things.

3. Good while it lasted

I worked at OnLive full-time

Pros

Great place to work with a ton of smart people.

Cons

No longer a place you can work.

5. Great and fun experience at first, then just nightmarish toward the end..

Former Employee - Front End C++ Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Front End C++ Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge tech, great project, great dev and ops teams, some great people. Great marketing and PM people at some which is so rare.

Cons

Sociopathic megalomaniac CEO, petty and retaliatory middle management, inexistent CTO, general mercenary vibe. One thing I learned for sure is to never work for Steve Perlman ever again, or believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Advice to Management

It's too late now I guess. I hope we all learned from this fiasco.

6. Nobody at the wheel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product and technology and mostly smart people to work with.

Cons

No upper management deserving of that position, zero communication with the employees, poor business decisions, no direction.

Advice to Management

Take some management courses.

7. Great people, but technology ahead of its time.

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the technical infrastructure is really awesome, the streaming technology is the best out there.

Cons

Direction has always been problematic, formulating the right service offerings and getting the right business strategy. Eventually streaming games will be commonplace, taking their part in the overall landscape of computer gaming, and quite probably a large chunk. Cracking that nut at this time has been really, really hard. Having the company die briefly on the operating table once didn't help marketing -- as much as zombies are the hot thing these days, folks don't care for resurrected companies, especially in a market that hasn't been proven and has the public mistrust. And the megalomaniacal former CEO, also responsible for the egregiously poor and scattered direction early on, burned too many bridges to allow for OL2 to exit well. Instead it turned into cheap damaged goods sale to Sony. It's as if someone invented and built a Portal gun, demoed it in a China shop with much crashing of goods; gnashing of teeth; and loss of limb, ran out its power, someone else bought it for cheap, powered it up again, and the public, understandably, kept their distance.

The technology has very wide application, and the focus on gaming was, I believe, thought to be a good, possibly profitable, proof-of-concept. Well, the tech works, but failing to coherently explore other applications was a huge mistake.

Another con: tech too magical to be taken seriously by the public. I guess you would call that "incredible technology". It's damned good for sure, but it ain't magic.

Advice to Management

Don't regret what you've done. Hindsight's 20/20, and it's hard seeing the right path when you're trailblazing.

CEO, you could have been more active. I don't mean just present. Actual participation in business development instead of occasional advising could have made a huge difference. I didn't have much visibility into what you were doing, but this is the impression I get.

Investor -- I believe you were right to buy the company. Great technology (great game service infrastructure), great team. Tons of potential. Quite the tricky situation, though, with the smoldering legacy of opinions both of the public and business suitors, the timing (v. consumer bandwidth and sentiment, e.g.), subtle possibilities of application, and finding the right strategy to navigate all that. It could have been seriously game-changing, and all the team are grateful for the second chance at making it go. Not just to have jobs for a couple years more, but because the technology and service were built with conviction and we wanted it to have the best chance at succeeding.

8. Great people, not the greatest company direction.

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people, catered lunches, weekly grog hour (beer, finger foods, and socialization time), good health benefits (medical, dental, and vision benefits).

Cons

The market seems to not be ready for OnLive. After the bankruptcy in 2012, the future is unclear.

Advice to Management

Would have been nice if the original CEO didn't make poor business decisions and effectively ruin the company as well as the public's opinions of it.

9. Cool tech, smart people, too early at the time and now too late

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Streaming video games across all your screens is a damn hard problem to solve well. There were lots of really smart people who really wanted to solve the problem and create great consumer experiences.

Cons

At the time, the market was just not ready. Now with more powerful mobile devices and digital strategies from the game publishers, it's unclear what the future of OnLive is.

10. great environment but the company has little direction

I have been working at OnLive

Pros

Awesome perks, time off policies

Cons

leadership, management, executives are useless

11. Fun while it lasted

I have been working at OnLive full-time

Pros

Nice people and good work environment before the bankruptcy. It was very fun and it was going to change the world...

Cons

no clear direction, unengaged customers, not solving problems that people currently have, game selection just didn't bring people in

RSS Feed </> Embed