Once Upon A Child

onceuponachild.com

Once Upon A Child Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Once Upon A Child – Novi – “The owner and her husband at the Novi store that…”

Positive place to work.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsGood people to work with. A good first job for many. Flexible schedule

ConsLow pay and a lot of work.

Once Upon a...Nightmare?

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Gambrills, MD

ProsFlexible hours
    Fairly friendly staff
    Convenient location

ConsQuality of leadership: poor NOTE: For most of the time I worked at this store, there were no managers on staff. When the owners were on the premises, they were wishy-washy about enforcing rules and often gave into customer demands. This set a bad precedent and made the employees look incompetent.

Work environment: neutral NOTE: The store was pretty clean and organized. Many of the customers, however, behaved horrendously. They seemed to think that when we rejected items they were trying to sell, we were also rejecting their tastes in apparel/accessories, their children, and their lives in general.

Pay: poor NOTE: My hourly wage rose about 50 cents the entire duration of my employment.

Benefits: poor NOTE: I don't think the store owners were interested in offering any health benefits, which probably explains why most (if not all) employees worked part-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owners should hire managers who are poised and professional. This means that they will need to offer higher starting salaries/hourly wages and be willing to let them do what they've been hired to do (i.e. manage). Additionally, the owners should take a few classes that will provide them with the skills necessary to function within business setting.

Decent place

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsEasy work. Pretty Good boss. Good pay and hours for the most part although weekends are necessary. Fast paced work environment. Sort through clothing. Hanging and Tagging. Rack Maintenance.

ConsGot sick all the time from the germs on the products. Catty employees. Long hours on your feet although you can wear gym shoes which make it more comfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there should be more incentives for picking certain items that are in high demand. In this store, the customer ISNT always right and we shouldn't accept their items just to make them happy. I saw that happen on more than one occasion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Little things would help

Sales Associate/Buyer (Current Employee) Mishawaka, IN

ProsCo-Workers,great first job, Scheduling is really helpful

ConsToo much work for the little pay, No one listens to others, disorganized and no trust

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the workers

Great if you have children...not so much if you just want to pay the bills.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsSteady paycheck, there is always a lot of work to do. Never really a slow period as people are always having babies and are in need of money for their used equipment and clothing. Easy to move up to assistant manager or find another management opportunity at another location. Meet some wonderful people who you can connect with and learn some retail experience. Great discounts as well, I know many people that hold this job for the small paycheck but mostly for the discount of baby/children clothing, equipment, toys, book etc.

ConsEach store is owned by different people so it depends on who owns that specific store. There is no where to go but to be promoted to management level and even then your only paid very low hourly rate. You start off at minimum wage and don't go up very much from there. Customers can be extremely nasty to you so either have a tough skin or get out because there will be days when you may not want to go in. Its usually an all-female environment and that can lead to drama but again this can vary greatly by location as not ALL women are drama queens. This job is good for entry level customer service experience but no long term potential for career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency from one store to the next. Rules, regulations etc. depend on who the owner is. Pay your employees appropriately. I only made $9 as an assistant manager and I was doing way more than was asked of me when I took that position. I was on call all the time and would have to run to the store for emergencies quite often. No benefits what so ever just the discount.

Demanding, Unrewarding Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFriendly coworkers, 20% discount, exposure to new and changing styles

ConsLong hours well past scheduled time, low pay, unfair and impossible goals, inconsiderate at times, and employees often sacrifice personal life for employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisplay leadership in a more inviting way, understand and accept employees' concerns, raise compensation and regulate hours.

DISORGANIZED!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere is room for advancement, good deals on children clothes and items.

ConsTotally disorganized and the behind the counter space is so small. everything is cluttered and hard to work around people. The management was really unprofessional as well.

The concept of the store is great but the Once Upon A Child in Savannah is Horrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

Prosvery cheap clothing for your children, great selection of brands and styles of clothing for your children, the 20% discount also helps out allot

Consthe management at the Savannah store is horrible the owner won't stand up for her employees that are good for her store she always sticks up for the bad ones who treat everyone like they are worthless. the employees there most of them are always up to no good backstabbing girls like in high school.

Advice to Senior Managementstart standing up for the good employees who keep trying to tell you the same things over and over and you never listen to them.

It's always messy and the customers are unpredictable

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers are often friendly. It also gives a fantastic discount on already cheap items if you have children.

ConsThe environment is hectic, unorganized, and rather unclean. Also, it was rather discriminatory at most locations.

Little fixes could make things so much better

Buyer (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO

ProsPeople you will meet, Flexible Scheduling, Discount on already cheap clothing, Closeness to the people you work with. Wage increases frequent if you work hard.

ConsLow wages, Disorganized workplace, Lack of attention to needs of the employees and store supplies in general. Very shortly staffed almost year round causing a very stressful work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees and the turn over rate my not be so high. Maybe like a few paid days off, or some kind of benefits, like taking the employees out for meal or something. My particular location seemed to lack employee appreciation. Overworked and Underpaid

Worked for Once Upon A Child? Contribute to the Community!