Once Upon A Child Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
CEO

Pros
  • 30% discount, friendly employees, fairly flexible schedule (in 6 reviews)

• Co-Workers,great first job, Scheduling is really helpful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of costomers unhappy and low pay (in 5 reviews)

• Keyholder and was paid minimum wage and asked manager about it only to receive a text message rude response (in 4 reviews)

1. Lots of training must multi task !!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Once Upon A Child full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount .. Understanding and dedicated owners Room for advancing but raises are small . $0.10-$0.25 sometimes !

Cons

Always busy , it's a very fast paced environment but on both sides .. Buying and selling . there's a lot to learn . It's hard to train employees .. Takes forever before they are experienced and efficient . You put alot of time into training employees that may not stick around long . It's NOT normal retail !! Even when no customers are around there is a lot to do !! This is not a job for someone unable to multi task , slow learners , quiet or timid . Customers are often rude because we can't accept their clothes with holes and large stains . Computer system needs updating ! It prices all clothing based on brand and style . A really cute justice tank top only prices for $2.50 used( pays customer $0.65) but retails for $17 in justice !! But a first impressions infant 1 piece prices at $12 used ( pays customer $4.80) but they currently retail brand new at Macy's for $5.99!!!! It's crazy ! Lots of stuff goes to clearance and we lose money due to computer pricing .

Advice to Management

Extensive training before putting employee on the sales floor . Higher starting pay so we can get harder working employees . High schoolers really aren't cut out for Ouac . More frequent raises for management with vacation days ! Firner with employees , if they don't meet dependability and efficiency needs terminate right away . Too much time in training an employee who is slow and doesn't get it for us to eventually terminate for the same reason months later .

2. Great Job

Current Employee - Team Member in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Once Upon A Child part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my work team. I'm very happy about how flexible the scheduling is too and it's very easy to get hours.

Cons

The customers can be very rude and refuse to understand that you're trying your best but that's everywhere. Its also hard listening to coworkers complaining about everything. As an optimistic person, it doesn't help me.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is on the same page everyday.

Grunt work

Former Employee - Associate in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Reynoldsburg, OH

I worked at Once Upon A Child (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Employee discount. Mostly nice people. Good first job or for the part timer. Closed on holidays, which is a bonus for retail.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Employees do what they want. Very unorganized. Low pay. Dirty work with risk of bed bugs.

Advice to Management

Step it up a notch and organize your people.

Assistant manager

I have been working at Once Upon A Child full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holidays off Discount I don't have any other pros.

Cons

Unorganized Dirty Nothing is held accountable. Thrown into learning new programs without meetings on what the new program even entitles. Pay

Advice to Management

More time spent in the stores to actually see what the needs of the employees are or issues we may be having. - instead of getting unanswered emails. Being consistent. Value the employees.

6. It's an OK job.

I have been working at Once Upon A Child part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, family owned, hours are there if you need them.

Cons

drama, mostly all female staff, unorganized, shift leads are not all informed with the same information so you will get about 5 different answers or simply a "i dont know" from people who are supposed to be your leader.

Advice to Management

Everyone should be on the same page. I know things change within the store, but EVERYONE needs to know about it through some kind of communication log that is better then something just written on a piece of paper in the back of a book or told to 2 people and except it to get around.

7. ouac

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Once Upon A Child (Less than a year)

Pros

fast paced, easy, great discount

Cons

lack of team work, management acted like bullies

8. sales associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Once Upon A Child part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a great store to work at , great enviroment. The management is great and understanding. They have flexible hours which is great if your a student. There is also opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

The downside is it can be a hectic environment at times but its a great way to learn how to multitask. As well as sometimes you do have to deal with unhappy customers but it's a great way to practise customer skills.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be maybe having more team meetings just to make sure everyone is on the same page on certain policies. Other than that they are doing great .

9. Disgusting

Current Employee - Certified Buyer
    Current Employee - Certified Buyer

I have been working at Once Upon A Child part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, discount on clothing if you have kids

Cons

Bad managers/ owners, catty staff, drama, low pay, technology never works, no room for growth. IT IS A GROSS JOB. People bring in their nasty stuff from their nasty kids with (NOT KIDDING) puke, poo, spit up, food, and pee still crusted on it. Then get angry when you have to pass on their items. My manager told me I had to go through a bag that was soaked with cat pee because it was my job. Actually it isn't.

Advice to Management

Y'all should just shut down

Slavery

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Once Upon A Child full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The one and only thing before it goes out on can say I enjoy about this job is that I get to see the product before it goes out on the floor so I get first pick of anything sold to us.

Cons

The 'company policy" that you WONT SIGN ANYTHING ABOUT is that if youre closing, you have to stay until everyone is done with their tasks, even if youre clocked out and finished everyithing and its 9pm. They lock the doors and wont let you leave. I get home at 10:30 sometimes. Its basically kidnapping. Holding me against my will, then having me stay clocked out and do other peoples work. Even tho its a revolving door of stocking and tagging theres no reason why we can leave 1 stack for tomorrow but not another. YOu get 1 15 min break during your 8 hr shift and you have to pee, drink, eat, make your phone calls during that time. and make sure your phone doesn't die because you aren't allowed to charge it at work so while youre supposed to be off at 9 and youre still there at 10, you cant use your phone to tell your spouse youre not dead on the side of the road somewhere. No sitting allowed. You have to ask to pee and even if youre 7 months pregnant, no food or drink breaks not even allowed to keep a bottled water on you unless you drink it during your 15 min break

Advice to Management

stop taking your 9.00hr position so seriously. Understand we are people not machines. the work will get done with or without your whip

11. Great for college students

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I worked at Once Upon A Child (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun, worked around school schedule

Cons

Pay rate, management and rude customers

RSS Feed </> Embed