Oncor Electric Delivery

3.8

Bob Shapard

Friendly

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

They are very open to different backgrounds to come in and learn a difficult system that some have never touched before, rather than just searching for a degree title or past experience. They have great values and are not a cheap company. Great relocation package.

Cons

A little late in the game on training younger employees with a lot of older employees getting ready to retire. Sometimes the training programs can be a little too relaxed and time consuming. I am not a fan of their health insurance options and salary could be a little better.

Not the same company - it's worse

Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who keeps the lights on, do a great job. Dedicated operations staff and field personnel. Decent benefits.

Cons

Those who are supposed to implement the strategic vision of the company does a poor job executing. Managers and Directors do not follow rules.

Conduct exit interviews. There are reasons your company loses talent. Conduct 360 reviews and strengthen your HR department.

Best place to work!!!

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

Have completely enjoyed working for Oncor!!! They take great care of their employees and is the only place I've heard of that retains it's employees for 45 years!!

Cons

Wish I could find a permanent job within the company

Horrid treatment of IT Security staff

Former Employee - IT Security in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Security in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice facilities, nice location, free soda. Some employees are shining examples of truly great leadership. Decent cafe on location.

**Edit** - After spending the weekend thinking about this review it occurs to me that I should take time to specifically identify those individuals who deserve a great deal of respect and attention for their leadership and continued effort to go above and beyond. With that said, I wouldn't want to make anyone guilty by association, even if that association was positive. Also, anything close to identifying an individual is not allowed on this site. It can safely be said that all issues and concerns are a direct result of accountability - and as in any organization I looked to my management when trying to address my concerns.

Cons

Expected to work 12 hr shifts with no break if forced to work alone (probably against a few labor laws), have an emergency and need to go home...too bad!! Timesheets changed without permission, shady termination practices, poor communication to management past immediate supervisor, complete inability to define roles or responsibilities so management can always conveniently say that everything is a part of your job. etc.. I could probably go on for 5 pages. I've worked at several Fortune 50 companies and never have I seen such appalling, juvenile, and amateur behavior out of management before. This is a warning to anyone thinking of accepting a position at this location....you will find yourself regretting your decision so keep your resume posted on Monster.

Conduct exit interviews. The only truly honest feedback you will ever get from an employee is from someone who is no longer an employee. Create proper documentation that protects both you the employer and me the employee. If you have 50% turnover in your staff in 4 months, perhaps VP's should start asking for justification. If you've had over100% turnover in a year, its probably safe to say that management is lacking. If you've had 25% of your staff leave in the same work week...how can you in good faith offer someone a job without taking steps to address whats wrong before hand? Peoples lives are impacted by poor decisions, and it seems like Oncor Management hasn't figured out yet that they are a very poor decision in this isolated area of the company. Every other part of the organization may be fantastic, but its hard to judge when you work in a secured room 12 hours a day. Some of the best people I have worked with accomplished nothing more than wasting their time attempting to succeed in this organization.

**Edit** - Another point I want to emphasize... The purpose of this post is not to ruin a career. Its to act as a warning to anyone who might be thinking of relocating their family, or quitting their job to accept an offer. When an employer hires someone, they are just as accountable as the employee to living up to standards of what is to be expected. The difference here is that a company like Oncor will go on...with or without any one employee, but without a paycheck...no employee will be able to provide for themselves or their family. So to turn in notice...or to be terminated...not through any real fault of your own, but because your management looks at contractors and direct reports as second class citizens, that creates anger. And that in turn creates no stronger desire than to protect and warn the digital community of job seekers. I'm sure stuff like this was able to pass as standard in the 80's... but in 2014 employers will come to realize that sites like glass door are here to make everyones voice louder... whether that voice is a sincere thank you - or an angrly growl.

Good company, benefits and insurance.

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time

Pros

Depending on where you work, the experience changes. Dallas, West Texas seem to be best locations. Smaller service centers not so much.

Cons

Rotating management. System changes. Storm-work (24/7, on call, etc.)

Make sure supervisors get the training they need and have the experience managing people before moving or promoting them. If they do a poor job remove them from that position as you would a regular employee.

Great career company, friendly coworkers and most important, safety focused.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for doing a good job. Implementing technology for a safer, more reliable, customer focused, electric delivery system.

Cons

Still have some work groups that need staffing to handle workload properly.

Continue to improve training opportunities of all types.

Good company to work for

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Stable company, many tenured employees, local company limits the amount of work that must be done outside of standard work hours

Cons

Slow moving, limited career growth opportunities, not flexible schedule

was fired because of nervous break down no company supportr

Former Employee - Troubleshooter in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Troubleshooter in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i was a troubleshooter for fifteen of my twenty five years it made you feel good to fix a problem of an eighty yr old couple on fixed income

Cons

just trying to stay employed with them they ere always looking for someone to fire they are very hard to work for

more support to your employees just because you think they do one thing wrong take notice to the 1000 things they did for the good

Appreciation of employees and co-workers are engaged.

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Safety. The company makes safety it's first priority. The benefits are above average versus most other industries. Upper Management, for the size of the company, is approachable. Co-workers and management seem to understand work-life balance.

Cons

Position dependent - long hours possible based on weather events, emergencies, and/or special projects. Company culture has to be learned and is varied across the company's service area. Mergers, over 100 years, has brought many companies into Oncor. Some of the mindset still remains from these previous companies and aren't completed unified as one. The company structure makes it a little more difficult to "move up the ladder".

Keep moving in the direction that the company's course seems directed.

Good for contract work

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

nine to five job
    laid back culture

Cons

Backwoods mentality
    Heavily outsourced technological team and non-tech managers

None