Oncor Electric Delivery

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
3.6

Bob Shapard

Great company to work for

Former Intern - Transmission Line Design in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Intern - Transmission Line Design in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Oncor was my first internship as a student and they welcomed me with open arms. Everyone who I had the chance to work with followed the called "Oncor culture" and it made me feel comfortable to ask questions and learn from them. As interns, Oncor made sure we were being exposed to all the fields the company had to offer as well as various intern activities so we could have a fun summer and get to know each other. They also gave interns real projects which made me feel like my time there mattered. I learned a lot and I really enjoyed spending my summer at Oncor.

Cons

As a Civil Engineer I saw little chance of growth in an electrical company. Even though I learned a lot in the field of Electrical Engineering, I didn't find the chance to learn very much on my field.

Tight Knit community

Current Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

The work-life balance is okay. The reason I say this is because many of the people who work here are older and have families while I have nothing to do after work ends. However, benefits are great and office culture is very nice.

Cons

Like I said above, the age differences are noticeable. Other than that, there was nothing bad about the company. It is a great place to work if you are looking into the power/energy industry.

You must be working there for a long time.

Laid back, great family-man job

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

Slow pace, everyone is very friendly. Fantastic learning environment, everyone is always willing to answer questions or show you something you don't know. Employees are always taken care of. As long as you are getting your work done and on time, you're not really bothered. They help pay for masters or MBA.

Cons

Slow pace means not very challenging in some jobs. Jobs can become boring if in certain parts of the company. Not incredibly technically challenging, more about following regulations than creative thinking.

Doing well

Safety, diversity and executive pay are top priorities

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really good people that work here. Something must be good since ALOT have 30+ years with one of the prior company names. Small perks like free beverages.

Cons

No real opportunities for personal growth. No training - here's your job, now do it. Tel-commuting is completely forbidden. Low salaries with miniscule annual increases. Diversity rules over all else!

Egos are too big to listen to any advice.

Friendly

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

They are very open to different backgrounds to come in and learn a difficult system that some have never touched before, rather than just searching for a degree title or past experience. They have great values and are not a cheap company. Great relocation package.

Cons

A little late in the game on training younger employees with a lot of older employees getting ready to retire. Sometimes the training programs can be a little too relaxed and time consuming. I am not a fan of their health insurance options and salary could be a little better.

Not the same company - it's worse

Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who keeps the lights on, do a great job. Dedicated operations staff and field personnel. Decent benefits.

Cons

Those who are supposed to implement the strategic vision of the company does a poor job executing. Managers and Directors do not follow rules.

Conduct exit interviews. There are reasons your company loses talent. Conduct 360 reviews and strengthen your HR department.

Best place to work!!!

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery

Pros

Have completely enjoyed working for Oncor!!! They take great care of their employees and is the only place I've heard of that retains it's employees for 45 years!!

Cons

Wish I could find a permanent job within the company

Horrid treatment of IT Security staff

Former Contractor - IT Security in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Security in Dallas, TX

I worked at Oncor Electric Delivery as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, nice location, free soda. Some employees are shining examples of truly great leadership. Decent cafe on location.

**Edit** - After spending the weekend thinking about this review it occurs to me that I should take time to specifically identify those individuals who deserve a great deal of respect and attention for their leadership and continued effort to go above and beyond. With that said, I wouldn't want to make anyone guilty by association, even if that association was positive. Also, anything close to identifying an individual is not allowed on this site. It can safely be said that all issues and concerns are a direct result of accountability - and as in any organization I looked to my management when trying to address my concerns.

Cons

Expected to work 12 hr shifts with no break if forced to work alone (probably against a few labor laws), have an emergency and need to go home...too bad!! Timesheets changed without permission, shady termination practices, poor communication to management past immediate supervisor, complete inability to define roles or responsibilities so management can always conveniently say that everything is a part of your job. etc.. I could probably go on for 5 pages. I've worked at several Fortune 50 companies and never have I seen such appalling, juvenile, and amateur behavior out of management before. This is a warning to anyone thinking of accepting a position at this location....you will find yourself regretting your decision so keep your resume posted on Monster.

Conduct exit interviews. The only truly honest feedback you will ever get from an employee is from someone who is no longer an employee. Create proper documentation that protects both you the employer and me the employee. If you have 50% turnover in your staff in 4 months, perhaps VP's should start asking for justification. If you've had over100% turnover in a year, its probably safe to say that management is lacking. If you've had 25% of your staff leave in the same work week...how can you in good faith offer someone a job without taking steps to address whats wrong before hand? Peoples lives are impacted by poor decisions, and it seems like Oncor Management hasn't figured out yet that they are a very poor decision in this isolated area of the company. Every other part of the organization may be fantastic, but its hard to judge when you work in a secured room 12 hours a day. Some of the best people I have worked with accomplished nothing more than wasting their time attempting to succeed in this organization.

**Edit** - Another point I want to emphasize... The purpose of this post is not to ruin a career. Its to act as a warning to anyone who might be thinking of relocating their family, or quitting their job to accept an offer. When an employer hires someone, they are just as accountable as the employee to living up to standards of what is to be expected. The difference here is that a company like Oncor will go on...with or without any one employee, but without a paycheck...no employee will be able to provide for themselves or their family. So to turn in notice...or to be terminated...not through any real fault of your own, but because your management looks at contractors and direct reports as second class citizens, that creates anger. And that in turn creates no stronger desire than to protect and warn the digital community of job seekers. I'm sure stuff like this was able to pass as standard in the 80's... but in 2014 employers will come to realize that sites like glass door are here to make everyones voice louder... whether that voice is a sincere thank you - or an angrly growl.

Good company, benefits and insurance.

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time

Pros

Depending on where you work, the experience changes. Dallas, West Texas seem to be best locations. Smaller service centers not so much.

Cons

Rotating management. System changes. Storm-work (24/7, on call, etc.)

Make sure supervisors get the training they need and have the experience managing people before moving or promoting them. If they do a poor job remove them from that position as you would a regular employee.

Great career company, friendly coworkers and most important, safety focused.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Oncor Electric Delivery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for doing a good job. Implementing technology for a safer, more reliable, customer focused, electric delivery system.

Cons

Still have some work groups that need staffing to handle workload properly.

Continue to improve training opportunities of all types.