One Kings Lane

Updated February 26, 2015
3.1

One Kings Lane CEO Dinesh Lathi
Dinesh Lathi

Pros
  • OKL appreciates dogs, so mine is able to come to work with me occasionally (in 5 reviews)

• From Happy Hours to Giant games to organized charity events it makes for a great work experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, poor pay for extremely long hours (in 5 reviews)

• there's so much fun going on during the day that it's hard to work (normal hours) which while being a great problem cuts into work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging & Rewarding - I personally love it here!

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The people here care about one another, and have a shared belief that we're building something meaningful.
    - The engineering leadership is finally in place for the company, and making a huge difference!
    - It's pretty clear that our customers are crazy about our brand, and the vendors we work with love us too.
    - Everyone seems to genuinely like each other, which isn't always the case in companies

Cons

- The pace is pretty relentless so you have to be committed to staying plugged in a lot
    - Some of our engineers (not the majority) have a sense of entitlement that can be annoying
    - There are not a ton of lunch options nearby

- Keep up the regular and open communication that Dinesh (CEO) has been fostering
    - Provide managers with more training so we can help our employees be more effective
    - Celebrate our successes more!

Anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people! During my time at OKL, I formed lasting relationships with people across different departments at various levels. You will not find a more welcoming or genuine bunch! I also really love the mix of people that are hired - you end up with an eclectic mix where everyone has someone different and unique to offer. I will always treasure the friendships I made at the company

Cons

For me, the reason I left was lack of professional growth. I felt that I was outgrowing my role and there was nowhere for me to go. I don't believe this to be true of most departments at the company but it was sadly my case. I wish that I had explored opportunities outside my department before deciding to leave.

I know you are doing a lot behind the scenes for the employees and it is very much appreciated. I'm excited for my friends that are still working there to get to experience all you are planning! I would encourage more town halls/company-wide stand ups.

It's been great for me in Engineering

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was quickly recognized and promoted for my abilities. If you do your job well, you will be rewarded. This might not be the same for all teams, but it was definitely the case for me.

The people here are awesome! Everyone is super friendly and supportive. Plus our new management in Engineering is great.

The company is finally being fiscally responsible. Maybe the current CEO isn't as personable as the previous one, but he has the company headed on the path to profitability.

Cons

The layoff in June 2014 sucked. I think that a lot of the negative reviews here come from that. The good news is that the company is still around and will be for a long time because of the layoffs. They still sucked hard though.

Keep learning and growing. I don't expect you to be perfect, but I do expect you to learn from your mistakes.

Enjoyable work helping people fill their home with what they love

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane (more than 3 years)

Pros

Women founded this company. They promote from within. Management is open to conversations about improvement.

Cons

Employees need opportunities to be challenged and grow. Outsourcing work denies employees that opportunity.

Every employee should get leadership training, not just the mid-level managers and C-level executives. Everyone working at the company should be considered a stakeholder. Trust your employees are capable of doing excellent work and they will trust that you have their best interests at heart.

Nightmare in Disguise

Former Employee - Category Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Category Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch Wednesdays
    Some great, friendly people
    Beautiful, modern office
    Company discount
    Stylish product
    Doug Mack (former CEO)

Cons

Horrible management hierarchy
    Low pay
    Long hours
    Dinesh Lathi (current CEO)

When I began, it was rainbows and butterflies and by the end, people were dropping like flies.

Sadly, this company used to be a fantastic and fulfilling company to work for. Fortunately, the company still has strong brand recognition and looks great on a resume. On the other hand, so do many other companies (i.e Fortune 500)

My advice to upper management?

Choose people that are actually capable of being managers. If they have no experience as a manager, it might be a good idea to put them through intensive managerial training sessions so they are properly suited for a managerial role. Just a thought.

Listen to the concerns of your employees. Don’t brush them off.

Don’t expect people to remain happy or motivated after they’re constantly told to “flex their agility muscles” and not reward them accordingly. You can only be loyal for so long until you realize it’s a one-way street….

Poor Management, No Recognition

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are fun to work with, there are lots of fun events happening all the time

Cons

poor management, poor communication, constant leadership changes, instability, poor outlook on future of company

You say you are transparent but that couldn't be further from the truth. Biggest advice is learning how to recognize your top contributors and rewarding them.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch on Wednesdays
    Discounts on Furniture
    Some really great folks

Cons

Internal politicking
    Culture of scapegoating and ego driven hubris
    Some really horrible folks

One Kings Lane (OKL) was once the internet darling that emerged in the midst of the financial crisis. It rode the rapid growth of "deal" sites that offered products at a discount. The same phenomenon that propelled sites like Group On, and Gilt was the rocket booster that ascended OKL as well.

When I started working there, OKL offered the best things you heard about startups. Comredarie, passion, risk-taking, no bureaucracy/red tape. It was agile, exciting, and challenged you daily.

The company drew some of the best talents due to the rocky economy offering few attractive companies - this fact created synergies from the early success and created high moral. I felt, as well as my peers that management and your co-workers really 'cared' about you and that you were part of something special.

In the Summer of 2013, however, that all changed. As the economy starting improving, and excess inventory dried up. Customer fatigue started settling in, and revenues stopped growing as fast as projections.

Key executive staff was mis-hired, and fiscal discipline thrown out the window to ensure growth. Doug Mack, the CEO; should get an A+ for being cheerleader in chief. The spending was an accepted liability as long as we were growing - once growth slowed, the writing was painfully on the wall and he jumped ship as quickly as the company rose to stardom.

Once the CEO left as well as several other key executives, it was clear that the company was in deep trouble. Many of the most talented people suffered from internal politicking and were smart enough to know the long term career prospects were no longer compelling.

A lot of people felt disenfranchised as the rapid growth created silos and barriers associated with corporate America and gutted the intimate efficiency of a start-up. Petty politics and a focus on subjective egos started taking center stage over actual performance or results. Pragmatic decisions gave way to rewarding your clique. Scapegoating and hubris became the common refrain.

Compensation was stuck in 2007-2009 when the economy was in tatters - the company was very slow to realize that the Bay Area had largely rebounded and were offering pay/equity as record levels. Executive staff willfully kept incompetent (either professionally or personal management) persons in key leadership roles that furthered degradation. A 'good old boys/gals' club further cemented nepotism and friendship above actual performance or long-term viability of ego driven talent.

Today, One Kings Lane is a sad shell of its one-time glory. It is a victim of its hubris and the failure to adapt to the rapidly changed macroeconomic environment doomed it to simply trying to tread water.

Owners are more interested in raising their own profile

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane

Pros

free lunch available on Wednesdays

Cons

The company seems focused on their PR efforts.
    From the Co-founder's appearances' at confrneces,, television and media interviews, appearances at The Academy Awards, It seems they are more concerned about building their own personal profile, than that of the company.

Be humble. It is not about your great lifestyle and exotic trip's that this fame has brought you. There are families and careers here, be=sides yours.

Changing goals

Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good food nearby and free snack food in-house. Great people in the trenches. Building is cool. Initially there is a great energy, you feel like you will make a big difference to them.

Cons

You just never get to realize your full potential due to the shifting management directions. There his alot of rhetoric from managers that do to much what is going on in real time. and the talent heads for the exits.

sell the place already.

What a change a few years makes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up, if you work hard.
    DTO for the tech org.
    Fun office - happy hours, catered lunch on weds, relaxed dress.

Cons

Poor Communication - between management & coworkers. Dictatorship.

Engineers: Good bye personal time.
    Project Managers: entitled dictators.
    Customer Service & Vendor Management: Stressful roles, they're always miserable.
    Middle management: leeches on skin the CEO.

TRANSPARENCY!
    Hire Managers with high emotional intelligence.
    Invest in the skills of your staff to retain talent.