One Kings Lane Reviews

84 reviews filtered by
3.2
One Kings Lane CEO Dinesh Lathi
Dinesh Lathi

Pros
  • OKL appreciates dogs, so mine is able to come to work with me occasionally (in 5 reviews)

• From Happy Hours to Giant games to organized charity events it makes for a great work experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, poor pay for extremely long hours (in 5 reviews)

• there's so much fun going on during the day that it's hard to work (normal hours) which while being a great problem cuts into work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane

Pros

one kings lane has a great culture and lots of smart people and is a terrific place to work.I would recommend

Cons

I can't really think of many. There are periods where the business is busy and we end up working late hours.

Advice to Management

Management is very strong and leading the company in a good direction. They could be more transparent,

Too many Chiefs, Not enough Indians

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Kings Lane

Pros

Free Lunch on Wednesdays
    Meeting great people
    Relaxed work environment
    Lots of Happy Hours

Cons

Be prepared to reach the glass ceiling and have no room for growth.
    Depending on who you align yourself with, you can go far, but do you compromise your ethics to move ahead
    They love to use big words "transparency" but cant seem to figure out the Webster's Dictionary meaning of the word.
    Can be at times very frustrating to accomplish anything since most people want to continue the party atmosphere

Advice to Management

Get rid of the brown nosed people and their cohorts and maybe the company can become the critical darling it once was.

Great education in the start up world

Current Employee - Enterprise Solutions in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Solutions in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very caring environment that cultivates the learning and development of employees. Very friendly colleagues that are eager to make themselves available. Managers are very personable and employees are open to speak freely and honestly.

Cons

Does not compete with other company's salaries given the expensive San Francisco market. Not a lot of room for upward mobility; they would prefer bringing on external candidates and pay them a much higher salary than an internal candidate eager to move up.

Advice to Management

Provide better opportunities for those looking to grow. Recognize and reward employees

Great company, going through some growing pains

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Dedicated team
    -Amazing place to work, you get to look at great merchandise all day and work with a very collaborative and motivated team
    -Smart, passionate individuals
    -Wednesday lunch
    -DTO
    -Amazing offices
    -Co-founders are incredible, sweet and warm to everyone that works at the company. They truly go above and beyond to make you feel like family.
    -It being a start-up you can definitely learn a lot and get your hands into multiple roles and projects.
    -If you work hard, you will be recognized for your efforts.

Cons

-Leadership team has gone through some changes, has had a trickle down effect on company as a whole.
    -There have been some significant growing pains (with any start-up), close of a sister site and office last year.
    -Engineering team isn't always able to prioritize asks as quickly as you need them too due to lack of bandwidth.
    -CEO has made some serious decisions that have had a lasting effect on company.
    -Does not have the true start-up feel it once has, more corporate.
    -Lack of communication

Advice to Management

Keep treating your key players well, its hard to find those dedicated, hard working individuals.

Whoa! The SF Office is Incredible!!!

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane

Pros

I wrote a review here in the last couple months, but I had to write again about the, very recent, corporate office move in SF. Many of us were a bit skeptical about management moving the office to SOMA. All of us here in SF came to the new office yesterday morning, and it's incredible - really incredible! I'm so proud to be working in a place that reflects who we are on the outside, and brings the beauty and style to the inside - for the employees to enjoy. And, they upgraded all our conference rooms to have cool AV and scheduling capabilities. The commute is easier, and finally - tons of lunch options!!! I really appreciate how much they put into making our work-space cool.

Cons

Since this post is all about the new space - the AC needs to be cranked up a bit. The only good part about our old space was that the bathrooms were huge... no waiting. These could be just a bit bigger, but its not terrible.

Advice to Management

Take what you did in our SF office, and do the same thing in our NYC offices. Not saying they need to be moved, but a makeover would be great for the people there, especially since that's our buying and creative teams.

Your brand is more important then your output at this entitled company.

Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One pro is that I quit in the last few months. Another is that it still has a little panache for the resume. Some people are nice. The offices (I had visited all three) were nice. They just moved in SF though so not sure on that. Lunch once a week was about 1/5th as good at most companies where lunch is free each day. They are finally gaining focus around becoming profitable. The new CEO has had to make some *hard* decisions but honestly it was the only thing that cold be done, else that company would be the next fab. Its also a great place for people who love to back stab each-other, belittle each other and in general build empires. So if you fit in that toxic mold it might be right up there for you! They still have a good brand. If you join tech probably pull in 200+ a year since nobody wants to work here. The burn rate has dropped nearly 70% or so with new CEO.

Cons

There are so many cons its hard where to start. I had been at okl for a few years and saw a ton of drama, bad hires etc. The tech team was pretty terrible to be honest. One of the worst I had seen. Not really a fault of the developers (many of them are weak) but overall shifting. The original site was built with a small tech team of about 10 people. But since then the tech org has had more leaders, heads, and vp's then you can shake a stick out. Tons of engineers as well. Some who have quit after 3-4 month stints. Product has been similar but the new CPO they brought in about 1.5 years back has added a lot of value. Last year the CEO and some other C-Level execs left at the same time. Some people did not know what we would do without our cheerleader in place (old CEO). They are confused b/c we could have gone bankrupt with the way the spending was going. Sadly the new CEO is in a tough spot as he inherited a total mess and is making tough hard financial decision to keep the company alive. So there have been needed layoffs etc. However with that mean that some of the worst employees are still around. Also this company has a lot of rich entitled men and women working for it as well which really does not make people 'hungry' for success. It just makes it a job to show off your D&G glasses or whatever expensive shoes you have. Also, it would be really nice if the founders actually came to work?!?!

Advice to Management

Overall the new CEO is making hard decisions and needed to keep doing them to get this ship afloat. But it can be hard to motivate people. Still try to cut some more of the fat. Waste even less money and make the company cash flow positive. Let people grow and also be more transparent about things like sales, money etc.

Overall not the worst experience, but I'd never recommend it.

I worked at One Kings Lane

Pros

-free lunch on Wednesday
    -lots of free snacks
    -flexible hours and personal days
    -Mac's instead of PC's
    -occasional free samples
    -beautiful offices/ work space
    -lots of young talent

Cons

-an unprofessional HR team
    -low pay
    -staff is almost completely comprised of women

Advice to Management

Honestly, my experience was soured by HR who did not treat me with much respect. The company is very small and there is an emphasis on nurturing great relationships with vendors and other employees, unfortunately HR did not follow this trend. I was often ignored and when my temp position was not renewed they emailed my temp agency but did not have the decency to reach out to me directly.

My overall advice to the company is to recognize that you are a new brand and you need to give people a reason to become loyal. There were some really great people at OKL who were passionate and talented but often I found that they were dismissive of others around them.

From great to regrettable

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I joined, this was a company of promise, excitement and growth. All was great until I realized that all was hype.

Cons

After an exhilarating first year, when all seemed possible, reality (and a lot of awful changes and hires) set in. At this point all was lost. The creative and sales teams were led by novice managers who were elevated to VP status without any experience or merit whatsoever. This company was a pact with the devil. Back-stabbing is par for the course. After two years, I am still leery of any company I approach. Stay away at all costs. This was a devastating experience. Employees, innovation, and truth are not valued. And do not make the mistake of buying company stock.

Advice to Management

Sell.

10. Have been here more than 4 years - feel like a lifer.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment where the people take their work seriously. Constant change which makes things feel new and exciting - always something different and interesting to work on if you show that you're hungry and care (and - good at your job). I never get bored here, which has been hard for me in the past. I'd never worked anywhere more than 3 years before I got to OKL. Management is solid - smart, hardworking people who are also human beings. Sensible policies like discretionary time off, flexibility with working from home, taxis home and dinner if you're working late, etc. Makes people want to go above and beyond, work weekends when needed, etc.

Cons

Comp is slightly lower than it would be elsewhere because we're still somewhat in "start up" mode. The other perks of working here more than make up for that.

Advice to Management

More communication is always a good thing.

It's been great for me in Engineering

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at One Kings Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was quickly recognized and promoted for my abilities. If you do your job well, you will be rewarded. This might not be the same for all teams, but it was definitely the case for me.

The people here are awesome! Everyone is super friendly and supportive. Plus our new management in Engineering is great.

The company is finally being fiscally responsible. Maybe the current CEO isn't as personable as the previous one, but he has the company headed on the path to profitability.

Cons

The layoff in June 2014 sucked. I think that a lot of the negative reviews here come from that. The good news is that the company is still around and will be for a long time because of the layoffs. They still sucked hard though.

Advice to Management

Keep learning and growing. I don't expect you to be perfect, but I do expect you to learn from your mistakes.