One Medical Group Reviews

3.6
Tom X. Lee

1. Reinventing Primary Care & Healthcare

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

Awesome people and awesome technology

Cons

Like any startup, growing pains, but with such a solid foundation, momentum will take care of things

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. Great People, Fun Environment

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

Co-Workers are always upbeat and positive. Upward mobility.

Cons

The hourly rate for administration is low

3. No Where Is Perfect, But This Is Pretty Close

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at One Medical Group

Pros

The joy of working for One Medical Group is threefold. 1. A stated mission to revolutionize primary care - you don't come to work trying to figure out how to increase sales a fraction of a percent; you come to work trying to figure out how to fix a broken system, how to serve the patient in front of you, how to support your teammate in that goal. 2. Constantly being challenged to be your best - there is no rule book on how to change something as massive as American Primary Care - that means we all have to thoughtfully, deliberately make it up as we go, keeping an eye on the mission and pushing each other, and ourselves, to succeed. 3. Being surrounded by a dedicated, hardworking, and genuinely interesting team. Swimming

Cons

1. The pay is less than similar positions, though I've always figured I'm getting paid in the pros I list above. 2. While not a start up any longer, we are still a young company and so there are many parts off the organization that are less than streamlined/thoughtfully designed.

Advice to Management

Changing healthcare is hard, and there will be many opportunities to misstep because a certain course is "easier" - let's not fall into that trap!

5. Don't believe the hype-

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

Great people. Get to feel like you are helping people. company is growing. good benefits.

Cons

Company is making a lot of money but sharing very little with employees. Their turn over is so hight. They don't do anything to make sure people stay because they feel all employees are replaceable. They don't care about employee's mental health and waste money on parties instead of offering a decent wage.

Advice to Management

Give employees a decent wage.

Administrative Assistant

I have been working at One Medical Group

Pros

Wonderful people; all very self-motivated and driven to further their careers

Cons

Very little pay; no performance based bonus for admins

Great place to explore career options!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to take on new roles and responsibilities. There are even ways to grow within the admin role and work on special projects. Love the team/culture dynamic. Full benefits!

Cons

Same-day appointments can be difficult to come by which is frustrating for both admins and patients. Be ready to get creative in your solutions with patients. Starting salary could be higher for workload.

Advice to Management

Keep working on career development transparency. Consider restructuring comp to increase starting base pay.

Great company over all. Needs a few thoughtful adjustments.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

For Administrative Assistants -Good entry level job / company. It is a great company to have on your resume because it does have significant name recognition. -You are put in an environment that can lead to a lot of valuable connections for your future career. -Perfect for people who are considering medical / nursing school. -The benefits are better than most. (100% employee health care, commuter benefits, 401k matching now!) -The admin job has a ton of moving parts, and you are able to get involved with all sorts of projects. -Great opportunity to try out different departments and really figure out where you want to go with your career. -Your week can be very strictly 35-40 hours of work, which is really nice. You can also work over time without it being a bad thing. For everyone: -The culture of the company is fantastic. I love my co-workers! - In DC the district / office management is very accessible, working hard to be transparent, and supportive. -The company operates out of a lot cities in the US, with pretty strong possibility of moving with the company if you chose to move to another big city. -They do the majority of their mid-level hiring internally. -You work with smart, pro-active, solution-oriented people across the entire company. Which is very motivating, empowering and fun!

Cons

-The starting pay is laughably low compared to the performance expectations placed on the administrative staff. You are often asked to take on way larger responsibilities, with no adjustment to pay. -For a healthcare company with a lot of young women, the lack of structured maternity leave is absolutely shameful. The company needs to make it a priority to have a cross-company, unified maternity & paternity leave policy. -The company can at times feel very stuck on the idea that everything should "start in San Francisco" before it can be tried in other areas of the company. Everything from marketing materials, to extended hours, to specialty services has to start there, and it takes months, sometimes years for it to move to other areas of the company. -The management team had a very hard time keeping up with / anticipating the hiring needs across departments. -The EMR needs some serious product development TLC. -Higher level management seems very out of touch with daily office operations.

Advice to Management

Stop saying "we're a start-up." We operate out of 30+ offices in 6 major cities, with hundreds of employees, and tens of thousands of patients. We need to get out of "start-up" mode, and stop using it as an excuse when things go wrong. It often feels like corporate + higher level people are SUPER out of touch with day to day office operations, and how much their providers, admins, office managers and phlebs contribute beyond the "on paper" description of their job. When those people travel to our office, they spend all of their time behind their laptop screens, when they should take at least some time to spend with the various departments, seeing what our daily jobs are like. Why bother traveling if you just stay in a conference room all day?

Frequent thoughts of leaving

I have been working at One Medical Group

Pros

great people. really, really wonderful people. our business will thrive, we basically would have to try very hard to fail at this because our service fills a great gaping chasm in the industry.

Cons

pathological choice to operate just under the level of staffing and pay that would keep operations running smoothly and turnover at a minimum. turnover is very high. overwork is a constant, although much lipservice paid to work life balance. hurdling forward without taking time to plan and lay solid foundation.

Advice to Management

i have been trying not to write this review for months, but i feel it would be remiss not to voice. these are real problems. please take them seriously. wages are too low for the amount of work done and for the great people you find wanting to work for you. work load would not be so bad if there was investment in the base and we know we are growing forward instaead of dog-paddling forever.

Company headed in a great direction.

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High quality people, great place to grow and develop as a young professional. This is a young company stepping up to play in the big leagues. Major kudos to how employee centered they are--significant resources are put into learning, development, and relationships. There's a big emphasis on work-life balance and fun around the office. Great culture, feels like a family. Also, since an HR overhaul last year, people resources have improved significantly. Full health benefits, 401k matching, disability leave, holiday PTO--can't be beat.

Cons

One Medical is still maturing and building its foundations that will allow it to be a big company. There's some folks who have been around since One Medical's inception that are resistant to the change that must happen as this company grows. It's not a start-up anymore and we can't keep acting like it is. In addition, because One Medical is so people centered, some departments put up with some pretty significant shenanigans instead of letting people go.

Advice to Management

Keep asking the laggards if they truly want to be part of such an innovative, fast paced company. I would hate to see this small population slow the company down or impede forward progress. Keep developing your rockstars and stay true to the mission!

Going through adolescent growth pains right now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

There are a lot of really smart, fun people at One Medical. The mission is great!

Cons

In certain groups at One Medical, there are really young, inexperienced people running the show who do not know what they are doing. I don't know if it's because there isn't enough money to hire people that know what they are doing or what the story is. Management is really poor, particularly in Operations and Marketing right now. There is extreme pressure to get stuff done, and a fear that you will be fired if you don't or if you speak up about problems. There does not seem to be a lot of employee loyalty or an "all in this together" culture.

Advice to Management

Get some new leaders in departments where leadership and emotional intelligence is lacking.

RSS Feed </> Embed