One Medical Group

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

Tom X. Lee

Great company over all. Needs a few thoughtful adjustments.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

For Administrative Assistants
    -Good entry level job / company. It is a great company to have on your resume because it does have significant name recognition.
    -You are put in an environment that can lead to a lot of valuable connections for your future career.
    -Perfect for people who are considering medical / nursing school.
    -The benefits are better than most. (100% employee health care, commuter benefits, 401k matching now!)
    -The admin job has a ton of moving parts, and you are able to get involved with all sorts of projects.
    -Great opportunity to try out different departments and really figure out where you want to go with your career.
    -Your week can be very strictly 35-40 hours of work, which is really nice. You can also work over time without it being a bad thing.

For everyone:
    -The culture of the company is fantastic. I love my co-workers!
    - In DC the district / office management is very accessible, working hard to be transparent, and supportive.
    -The company operates out of a lot cities in the US, with pretty strong possibility of moving with the company if you chose to move to another big city.
    -They do the majority of their mid-level hiring internally.
    -You work with smart, pro-active, solution-oriented people across the entire company. Which is very motivating, empowering and fun!

Cons

-The starting pay is laughably low compared to the performance expectations placed on the administrative staff. You are often asked to take on way larger responsibilities, with no adjustment to pay.

-For a healthcare company with a lot of young women, the lack of structured maternity leave is absolutely shameful. The company needs to make it a priority to have a cross-company, unified maternity & paternity leave policy.

-The company can at times feel very stuck on the idea that everything should "start in San Francisco" before it can be tried in other areas of the company. Everything from marketing materials, to extended hours, to specialty services has to start there, and it takes months, sometimes years for it to move to other areas of the company.

-The management team had a very hard time keeping up with / anticipating the hiring needs across departments.

-The EMR needs some serious product development TLC.

-Higher level management seems very out of touch with daily office operations.

Stop saying "we're a start-up." We operate out of 30+ offices in 6 major cities, with hundreds of employees, and tens of thousands of patients. We need to get out of "start-up" mode, and stop using it as an excuse when things go wrong.

It often feels like corporate + higher level people are SUPER out of touch with day to day office operations, and how much their providers, admins, office managers and phlebs contribute beyond the "on paper" description of their job. When those people travel to our office, they spend all of their time behind their laptop screens, when they should take at least some time to spend with the various departments, seeing what our daily jobs are like. Why bother traveling if you just stay in a conference room all day?

Company headed in a great direction.

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High quality people, great place to grow and develop as a young professional. This is a young company stepping up to play in the big leagues. Major kudos to how employee centered they are--significant resources are put into learning, development, and relationships. There's a big emphasis on work-life balance and fun around the office. Great culture, feels like a family. Also, since an HR overhaul last year, people resources have improved significantly. Full health benefits, 401k matching, disability leave, holiday PTO--can't be beat.

Cons

One Medical is still maturing and building its foundations that will allow it to be a big company. There's some folks who have been around since One Medical's inception that are resistant to the change that must happen as this company grows. It's not a start-up anymore and we can't keep acting like it is. In addition, because One Medical is so people centered, some departments put up with some pretty significant shenanigans instead of letting people go.

Keep asking the laggards if they truly want to be part of such an innovative, fast paced company. I would hate to see this small population slow the company down or impede forward progress. Keep developing your rockstars and stay true to the mission!

Going through adolescent growth pains right now

I worked at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

There are a lot of really smart, fun people at One Medical. The mission is great!

Cons

In certain groups at One Medical, there are really young, inexperienced people running the show who do not know what they are doing. I don't know if it's because there isn't enough money to hire people that know what they are doing or what the story is. Management is really poor, particularly in Operations and Marketing right now. There is extreme pressure to get stuff done, and a fear that you will be fired if you don't or if you speak up about problems. There does not seem to be a lot of employee loyalty or an "all in this together" culture.

Get some new leaders in departments where leadership and emotional intelligence is lacking.

Great mission and focus on innovation

I worked at One Medical Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing and eclectic, benefits are solid and it's a great place to enter into healthcare. The company is growing at such an incredible rate so it's constantly adapting and changing. They also have great company events.

Cons

Lack of connection between offices and those in the corporate office, compensation is below market value and little focus on employee development (especially those that are ready for the next step).

Non-startup in startup mode

I worked at One Medical Group full-time

Pros

Lots of talent and not a lot of arrogance, great people to work with.

Cons

Growing pains are a constant excuse for lack of communication and process, despite the constant statement that "we are not in startup mode anymore." People are encouraged and expected to debate in an aggressive fashion, encouraging arrogance in people that don't have much. Very big skew with the ratio of Project/Product managers to product engineers.

The meeting rooms are not "The Crucible" and this aggressive attitude leaves important information in the dust in favor of the guy who can argue the best. This would probably be a good idea for lawyers, but you should understand the general personality traits of your staff.

Great overall mission but needs to focus on having a firmer foundation before expanding.

I worked at One Medical Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people they hire are awesome and was one of the reasons why I wanted to join. It is a great place to enter into healthcare if you're interested. The company is developing some great technologies and innovations and the benefits are good as well except don't expect to have great 401k benefits.

Cons

If you like consistency and stability then this place is not for you! Since this is a start-up the workload is up and down. You're expected to do a lot more than your work description for the same pay and there is little support for when you actually need it. Communication and transparency is not the best here either and if you're looking for a particular answer to a problem or an issue you have expect to jump through a lot of hoops.

Listen to your people! Alot of people are unhappy due to the fact that there is no job growth or training. You hired a lot of smart people who are not arrogant, use them and their talents before they are lost to you and move on to a better career.

Going down hill

I worked at One Medical Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are great, smart people who work here. I've made some friends for life! The offices are nice and everyone is hard working. There is a good work life balance, but fast paced environment (if you're into that!)

Cons

Crap pay, patient dissatisfaction, very high turnover rate, no growth from entry level position, rude CEO

Pay the administrative staff better, this could help with the high turnover rate. At times it felt like the lower level staff were not respected - find a way to mitigate that.

Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated team that is loaded with smart passionate employees willing to give their best. Fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Winning culture.

Cons

There are growing pains which is to be expected with such rapid growth. It's a fast-paced, high-growth company, so not everything has a process or policy.

Keep hiring smart, driven employees that understand the mission. My experience thus far at this company outshines my other employers by light years!

Extremely talented team of people that care about the state of our nation's health care with a thoughtful approach.

Current Employee - Growth
    Current Employee - Growth

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, adaptable, and friendly environment for driven people to excel in. One Medical is a place for people who want to change the world. That's great with many companies, but not many of them have the resources to accomplish their goals. One Medical does. The company also takes GREAT care of its employees with pay, company get togethers, and check-ins from the CEO.

Cons

If you don't like a start-up environment, then OM is not for you. I love it.

No advice to give, doing a great job!

A company that has its heart in the right place.

I have been working at One Medical Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The mission, the transparency of said mission, company culture and attitude. This place is about the big picture, across the board. The work we do is innovative, and being a part of it is exciting and motivating.

Cons

Being about the bigger picture can take away from some of the details. Certain departments get lost in the fray, and new-hire on-boarding/training isn't as organized as it could be.

We might be doing some groundbreaking work, but we aren't exactly a start-up any longer. Let's make sure our training and work templates continue to evolve, while staying true to core values.