One Technologies Reviews

Mark Henry

1. Featured Review

Excellent Culture and Organization

I have been working at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Culture, Freedom, Company pays for all benefits, company trips

Cons

Challenges associated with rapid growth

2. Manager

I have been working at One Technologies full-time

Pros

OT is one of the best companies that I have worked for in my carrier thus far. The culture here is colorful, fun and truly cares about the people overall well-being. I look forward to many more fruitful and growing years to come.

Cons

The company offers a host of tasty treats which creates an issue with me enjoying it and gaining to much extra weight because of it. LOL

Advice to Management

None.

3. Great place to work.

I have been working at One Technologies full-time

Pros

Great culture, lots of freedom, benefits are good for a small company. they truly believe in work life balance. most companies talk about it but OT really lives it. i seldom work late or at home and it isn't frowned upon.

Cons

trying to get out of the way of company growth. they will either push through or have to get back down to a size where senior leadership can still be involved in the day-to-day. the open environment can be a positive and a negative.

5. Company is changing - hopefully its for the better

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, descent compensation package, free medical/dental insurance, 401k match 100% dollar-for-dollar up to 6%, vacation + off from December 24 - Jan 1.

Cons

We have some very intelligent people, but due to the conditioning that has occurred here, employees have "forgotten" the skills and experiences that made them successful at other locations. No one in the organization even likes our product, so how can we sell something we ourselves are not proud of. Definite favoritism from senior leadership for their "star" employees on the team, which doesn't make for good team/organizational dynamics. Analytics is also not the end all, be all of how this company should be run. Even best practices have to be tested into vs just implemented because its the right way of doing things. The fact that we have shifting priorities is a major concern. Change is fine, as long as its justified as to why we need to do it.

Advice to Management

Senior managmement is out of touch and have hit a plateau because they do not understand how to grow a company. There is new blood so I'm hopeful of change, but we shall see.

Summary of my satisfaction

Current Employee - Database Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, seemingly the only CEO in the world who treats employees as peers worthy of respect. This is a company where hard working, collaborative, innovative people can succeed. I have seen the typical corporate archetypes come through here, and I have seen many of them leave. Most of the "tactics" that people use to mask liabilities don't work here, and will be seen through. You can pander to upper-level management and hope to get by on personal relationships. You can't horde knowledge because you are afraid of losing your job. You have to show what you can do by your skill, your ability to work with others, and your ability to navigate problems. If you want a company that will challenge you and expects hard work, this is the place for you. If you are a ladder-climber who will crush co-workers without mercy, a glory hound, or an information horder, you should move along. You won't be happy here.

Cons

Development is very detached from the reporting\analytics side of the business, which is a head-scratcher for a 200 person business with 30 analysts. The good news is that steps are being taken to fix this problem. We've also had a lot of turnover in the last year. This is good when it is people who add to the business (see pros above), and it's bittersweet when it's folks moving onto the next step in their careers. I expect the first type of turnover to diminish this year, but the second one will probably stay the same. So many smart young people here are just waiting to be snapped up as managers\directors\VPs...what can you do?

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Seriously. I have 100% faith in all of you.

Developer Friendly

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at One Technologies

Pros

- Use of new technology - Wide array of technologies to experience and learn - Highly intelligent peers - Company relies on objective measurements to make important decisions - Company provides training (pluralsight), paid trips overseas and nice Christmas gifts - Flexible schedules - Reasonable pressure to accomplish goals - Fun people/culture - Reasonable ability to adapt to change

Cons

No job is perfect. Politics exist to some degree. In order of increasing pain: 1. Legacy systems of poor quality 2. Lack of automated testing 3. Lacking useful documentation 4. Loose cooperation between individuals and teams leads to redundancy and waste 5. High turnover

Advice to Management

Overall management is smart and handles problems well. Dedicate resources to improving the legacy software. While the benefits may not be obvious, technical debt is an investment that pays off in time.

Great company with great benefits

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay Company trips Laid back atmosphere CEO cares for his people

Cons

Miserable bosses No growth Micro management Customer Care is treated differently than the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, get rid of the mangers that are hard to work with mainly in the customer care department. Upper management needs to take a closer look at this department they act as if everything is together but they have a lot of problems. No growth available here.

Lack of innovation with very little expansion on core product

Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at One Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is a snap to achieve. Holiday presents and company trips are a nice perk, but a bonus would be preferred. The open office concept is nice and not overly noisy. They offer free breakfast on Mondays and periodic company happy hours either on site or off site. They recently began a regular performance review process.

Cons

Too much pride in being analytics driven, when the overall business model is quite simplistic. There is no regular raise or bonus cycle. Employees are expected to request a salary increase. There is high turnover among most departments. This is not a great place to learn new skills or new technologies that translate well to other jobs. Women are unlikely to ever advance to senior executive level positions.

Advice to Management

Don't pat yourself on the back for stellar performance and analysis tools when the product offering is limited and lacks innovation. Be more forthcoming on business issues and commit to a solid business plan. Stop trying to poorly reinvent the wheel with proprietary technology solutions when off the shelf solutions are available. This is a distraction and waste of resources.

10. Great people and exciting, challenging environment

I worked at One Technologies

Pros

People, skill sets of people, challenging work

Cons

High growth so projects come and go. Still organizing management team to focus on business objectives

Advice to Management

Help build team members so they have a career path

Good company, but future is uncertain

I have been working at One Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great worklife balance, work with the best and brightest, CEO truly cares about company culture and people as an asset

Cons

pay is just ok. company provides benefits like free health insurance, trips to exotic destinations like Aruba and St. Kitts. However I would much rather get an annual performance review and raise.

Advice to Management

senior management can be out of touch with rest of department and employees. structured in silos and not very much cross training.

RSS Feed </> Embed