OneAmerica

OneAmerica Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Extremely challenging, amazing opportunities for learning and career development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsAmazing opportunities for growth and training. They have hundreds of e-learning classes / programs open to all employees. HR career development is easy to access and work with. Opportunities for a self-starter. WONDERFUL PEOPLE. Everyone is very friendly! I am VERY optimistic of future growth for the company as a whole, and my specific department. Improvements are being made, just slow as with all corporate structures.

ConsOffice culture is changing, but collaboration and communication between teams / departments is choppy. Processes in this particular department are too manual and need massive improvement. Stress is very high. More communication from management about upcoming projects, even if it's to say it's far in the future. Applications in dire need of upgrading.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish open flow of communication between teams, and not just notes, actually going over and talking to one-another. Performance bonus is very small. Maybe it should be supplemented for the highest performers. Reduce the number of applications used, and places information is stored to reduce risk or redundancy. Central database needed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

RUN from corporate office

ProsThe company is financially stable and has decent market presence. Benefits are competitive with market for professional level positions. Great place for a first position or breaking into a new field.

ConsInfrastructure weak. Politics rule too many decisions. Many talented people have their hands tied unless they conform to the status quo. This limits company innovation and personal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rely on those climbing on backs of others to solve your problems. Get the advice professionals or unbiased individuals. Limit power of HR department to areas within their core knowledge.

With few exceptions, many in the HR department operate as one of the most negatively aggressive I've seen and they are commonly referred to by others outside the department as the "Snake Pit".

Great people, mission focused, lives it's values

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsOneAmerica doesn't have shareholders so it's focus is on serving families by supporting their financial needs when they need us most. I am proud of what we do and our values. We are working hard to modernize our technology and work environment. We are winning in the market and are one of the best growth stories in insurance and retirement.

ConsWith growth cones growing pains. We have a huge change agenda as we modernize all we do. Great opportunities and exciting but a lot of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to Stay true to our values. Serve our customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amiable culture, but not good for people who want to innovate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFamilial culture, reasonably stable, benefits on par with peer companies, most supervisors seem flexible when employees need to tend to family or personal issues.

ConsZero career planning. Compensation does not reflect contributions. Culture from top down is highly entrenched in decades-old manual processes and technologies, and any attempt to innovate or to bring new technology into the environment meets immediate resistance. There is zero ownership of processes and applications and virtually no governance in place. Only company I have worked at where many employees bring their own computers and mobile devices in order to get basic work done, and management seems supportive of employees paying for software and equipment out of their own pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecades old entrenchment has to end before any substantial change or innovation can occur. For a company with ~1500 employees, there is a disproportionate amount of bureaucracy. Your business models are built on boutique offerings, yet you want to grow your business substantially and compete for higher tier customers. Being everything to every customer is not a scalable model. You must mature your processes and make them repeatable, and you must implement top down ownership and governance across the enterprise.

Good company to work for.

ProsFree parking in downtown Indy, management shows real concern for employees, strong focus on employee engagement and growth.

ConsCompany is slow to change, seriously needs to update technology.

OneAmerica strives to be a "Top Employer", but ignores the basics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsDefined benefit pension plan and 401(k), free parking garage, good people, on-site clinic and fitness center

ConsTrending away from work/life balance, inadequate resource availability to meet the size and quantity of projects undertaken, lack of upper management support and trust in employees, divisive merit system discourages team building

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in an appropriately sized work force needed to complete desired projects. Mandating an on-going 60+ hour work week, as is currently done in the web support area, is not conducive to quality work, employee retention, or morale. It does not align with a stated objective to value employees. Implement a merit system that is based on performance relative to the job's expectations rather than other team members. Currently high performers on a uniformly strong team may be left with no merit increase while a mediocre performer on a lesser team way receive one.

Innovative and Solid Products

Financial Professional (Current Employee)

ProsMany great incentives and bonuses. The products are great and the company has some of the strongest ratings in the industry. When company events are held out of town they help hotel cost and sometimes pay the whole thing. A lot of freedom to truly build your own practice. You can great money if you are willing to work hard and PROSPECT! That is the key to any sales job or business.

ConsThis can be seen as a pro by many people. It's ran on a General Agent system which means most of your interaction with management is with a GA who owns his own agency. They have a lot of pull but when a regular agent calls in you are less likely to get up the chain. They just refer you to the GA. Also, even though OneAmerica owns multiple subsidiaries the bread and butter is whole life insurance and is the sole focus of their solutions. At least from this perspective. All incentives are built around selling life products.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better service environment toward all agents. Maybe create a channel that teaches people how to be true financial advisors/planners not just insurance sales with some "investment advice" on the side. That just creates problems and the reps only know thing. The market is much broader. At least for those who want to pursue that type of a practice.

Just okay

ProsThey still have a traditional pension plan that is very hard to come by in corporate America today

ConsProgress is slow on some things and way too fast on others resulting in a lot of problems that we have to address reactively

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek input from those who do the work every day and issues will be minimized

Horrible leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is comparable for the area. Good friendships are made. On site health care and nice community involvement.

ConsSales driven and uses employees against each other and disguise it as friendly competition. No true path, just whatever goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around,all of your talent is walking out of the door.

Overall, a great place to work.

Management (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsSmart, dedicated people. Financially sound company, good products, and sound business strategy.

ConsToo many active projects, difficult for staff to stay focused. IT department has many projects to undertake to modernize systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on efforts that will have the greatest impact to the company. Don't launch too many efforts at one time without adding needed staff to support.

Worked for OneAmerica? Contribute to the Community!