OneBeacon Reviews

1. Senior Claims Adjuster

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Westwood, CA

I worked at OneBeacon full-time

Pros

Flexible working schedule, remote working from home, and great hardware.

Cons

Need a software upgrade and to expand of support staff.

Advice to Management

Great idea's, good concepts, loosen the purse strings on benefits, but all the vacation you want as long as you get your job done with no accumulation of vacation time. What if there's a layoff? A lot of people look at accumulated vacation as financial security.

2. Great flexibility great package

I have been working at OneBeacon

Pros

Flexibility pay benefits good free gym

Cons

Limited space to grow in Stallone offices

Advice to Management

Move back to boston

3. Used to Be Great, Needs Development.

Current Employee - Business Development/Marketing
    Current Employee - Business Development/Marketing

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees have significant experience in insurance! Unlimited PTO with restrictions. Some flexible working arrangements if you're willing to tell your managers exactly where you are going and with whom. If you're lucky you will get a remote working agreement. Managers have great gigs, travel, all-expenses paid...etc.

Cons

Too much micromanagement. Managers are quick to proclaim "I don't micromanage" but are secretly tracking what time you enter and leave the office. They also will watch your internet/computer activity while you a logged on to the network. You will have to work weekends and jump when "managers" who lack management skills say jump. No room for personal growth and development as they often don't promote from within. You are here to sell the insurance products no matter your job function.

Advice to Management

Pay all of your employees a fair wage. Figure out your business strategy because not all of the business units are productive. Engage your employees to address the current turnover rates.

5. Predictive Modeling Associate

I have been working at OneBeacon

Pros

Professional manager, good location and diverse projects

Cons

Small team, temperary office and low salary

6. Specialty company with calm, conservative financial outlook

Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Kansas City, KS

I worked at OneBeacon

Pros

Good bonus and ESOP bonuses, even in mediocre years. Ok to underwrite some crazy things.

Cons

Understaffed.
    Not spending enough on image control or relationships.
    Underperforming companies get axed. Are you next?
    Medical is only ok.
    hiring is too conservative.
    disorganized claims and understaffed centralized processes.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And to keep talent.

7. It was a great company to work for. Everyone is very friendly but it is a much more senior environment.

Former Contractor - Associate Recruiter in Canton, MA
    Former Contractor - Associate Recruiter in Canton, MA

I worked at OneBeacon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The headquarters was once in that office so you get to work in a huge building, with amazing food served for lunch along with a state of the art gym.

Cons

The headquarters moved to Minnetonka so the work environment is left with very few of the employees. It feels pretty empty in such a huge building.

8. Claims Adjuster

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everybody knew what they were doing and were highly competent. I received a lot of useful experience. Managers were highly skilled and mostly supportive.

Cons

High stress, rigid, sometimes awkward environment. They used a lot of temps because the claims department was never adequately staffed. Lots of turnover and management would cut to keep the department bare bones. I once received over 10 slip/fall cases on a single day during winter season when we had a lot of snow/ice cases. Management was aware of the backlog and that we couldn't evaluate the rest of our cases properly, but the management reviews in the files and audits did not reflect the situation we were in as they still wanted 100% compliance even though that would have meant we'd have to stay late every day. I'm not one to complain, because any examiner knows that there are peaks and valleys in claims handling, but there was never a "slow period" at this company to catch up on because the department was never staffed enough and they'd simply let the temps go when they weren't needed. A claims job for a general liability company that requires thorough contact and policy analysis can't work if the examiner is always backed up and has to cringe every time the phone rings when someone wants to know the status of their cases and you can't simply tell claimants and insureds that I didn't get to their claim yet because "I'm busy."

Advice to Management

They cut my line about 6 mos after I left the company so who cares.

9. Massive bureaucracy, little work

Former Contractor - Technical Consultant in Canton, MA
    Former Contractor - Technical Consultant in Canton, MA

I worked at OneBeacon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Long deadlines, light work load, old code base. Not technologically demanding. Easy hours (bankers).

Cons

Basic wall cube farm, very little oversight, work can get boring. Office culture is that of any typical large insurance company. Hard to get any new work done, or change any existing systems. They are still using dBase, FoxPro, and SQL2000. Um, it's 2014, might be time to upgrade. Product team seems to be moving in 100 directions at once, which has the effect of leading the developers down a trail and then having to change course in the middle.

Advice to Management

Massive infrastructure and code upgrades needed. Talent is stale and there is massive technical debt as more complex projects are applied to the obsolete codebase. Root out and destroy the bureaucratic management and product team which is severely impacting quality of work.

Loved it for many years, but the last 3 were miserable

I worked at OneBeacon

Pros

During the last 3 years, the benefits to working at OneBeacon was a fair salary and an easy commute.

Cons

There were a number of layoffs during the recession, which I understood, but I feel that the layoffs went too far. Several people who had unique skill sets & knowledge that was still needed were let go, which left many people doing work that was above their job level, experience & qualifications. The people that were retained had to take on not just more work, but more difficult work, resulting in poor performance. People weren't allowed to work overtime to catch up, so a lot of things just simply didn't get done.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people, not machines. Treat them as such.

11. Worst experience of my life

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good, knowledgeable people here.

Cons

Horrible HR practices. I was accused of something I didn't do. Proper investigation would have proven that. I was advised that it was too costly and time consuming to do so. I was not terminated but they "put a note in my file" and somehow this confidential matter leaked out of HR, became common knowledge and I became a pariah.

Advice to Management

Send your HR folks to classes on compliance, confidentiality, and proper investigation.