OneBeacon

Be The First To
Add Photos

OneBeacon President, CEO, and Director Mike Miller

Mike Miller

Lack of direction and focus

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time

ProsThe pay is good, however that is how employees are lured in

ConsManagement and leadership is constantly turning over so the direction and vision are always changing. It feels like non-leaders are put in leadership positions so that executive management is not challenged. The front line staff is overall bitter and disengaged. There are constant layoffs that deeply affect morale. Employees are lured in with amazing promises which are immediately broken once a contract is signed.

Forced to work one 40 hours a work week or lose your job!

Will Not Disclose (Current Employee)

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVacation, pay, and that is about it

ConsIf you're a hard worker then you get rewarded with more work then told over and over that it is not a 40 hour a week job and you are given hints that if you don't work over 40 hours then you may keep your job. They overload you with the work of two people but expect you to continue to provide superior customer service which is impossible with the work load. A home life balance is some kind of foreign word to this company. Simply they just don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the work load reasonable, the job is stressful enough without telling us over and over this is not a 40 hour a week job and make us feel that if we don't work over 40 hours we will be on warning and potentially lose our job, there are labor laws ------one of these days it will take one brave person to put a stop to this behavior.

Not Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OneBeacon

ProsNice People. That's really all i have to say about it. Oh, probably one of the nicer cafeteria's i've seen.

ConsSalary blew, no room for advancement, layoffs, etc. Most prominent was the complete lack of leadership. My bosses would habitually "work from home", ie. taking a day off without having to use one of your vacation tdays.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not fulfilling

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Canton, MA

I have been working at OneBeacon

ProsAbility to work remotly.
Benefits are good

ConsThe cloud of Lay offs is always hanging above your head

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your emplyees with respec

There are better places out there.

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OneBeacon

ProsFlextime available and benefits are good.

ConsMiddle management is almost all non-degreed. Their knowledge is limited to what they have learned on the job and there seems to be contempt for those with higher learning or professional designations in their field.

Upper management seems to have the intellect needed however they seem to be unable to exert order. Middle and upper management seem to be at odds with each other.

Opportunities for advancement are based on tenure not on merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don’t know where to start with this one. Middle management is a big part of the problem.

Being let go after 20+ years of devoted service

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAllows some telecommuting depending upon location

ConsWas a good company until they changed direction and decided to outsource a lot of IT functionality to the Phillipines. They are letting go a lot of experienced people that they could spend a few dollars to retrain. Not good for America.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't have to follow the pack. Do what's right for American workers.

Lacking our direction

Underwriter (Former Employee)
Farmington, CT

I worked at OneBeacon full-time

ProsSmall company that can change direction quickly, some good specialty people. Several units are doing well.

ConsLots of politics for a small company. Management is sheltered from the front lines and any criticism. Random firings and hirings are a hit to morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are a small company, fire middle management and open up direct lines of communication. Use your small size to your advantage.

Annual Bonus? Sure, it's called Christmas Time Layoffs

I have been working at OneBeacon

ProsGenerous PTO Time, Nice group of co-workers.

ConsOneBeacon has had layoffs for 4 or 5 years running now typically around December of each year. No one feels as if the company has a future including management. CEO is about as bad as they get at inspiring confidence and has little credibility. Highly likely the company will continue to shed jobs in the coming years. Look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on honesty and integrity. Example: When you increase the average work week and don't pay employees any additional money, you get zero extra productivity and zero loyalty. (Reap what you sow.)

Not the worst place to work, but could do a lot better

I have been working at OneBeacon

ProsIt's not the same company year to year. The one thing constant is change in direction, change in management, etc. The company is very much like New England, if you don't like it wait a quarter and things will change.

ConsLot's of office politics. If you are in, you're in like flynn, but there are some egos who sometimes refuse to acknowledge those who are several levels below them as important contributors. Benefits have gotten worse and cheaper, not better and less expensive over the years. Kind of an insult to those of us who have been with the company a long time and made it what it is today. Salaries are also very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the people who work for you. It doesn't take much, but means a lot to a lot of people and you'll learn much more about the way the company is really running.

OB is OK

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Canton, MA

I worked at OneBeacon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe finance department has some pleasant people to work with. Management appears to care about helping you develop professionally and be healthy.

ConsThe company was going through a lot of changes when I worked there. The pay is low and since they went public they were doing everything possible to bring down their expense ratio, aka laying off a lot of people and taking away a lot of employee benefits. The finance department doesn't have much room for growth. It also had a very political feel to it.

Worked for OneBeacon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OneBeacon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OneBeacon CEO Mike Miller. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by OneBeacon employees.