OneLogin

4.3

Thomas Pedersen

A Typical Startup on the Positive Side

I have been working at OneLogin full-time

Pros

OneLogin is a SF tech startup success story in the making. Has great culture, excellent work-life balance. Easy to take time off. Free lunches. Reasonably stocked kitchen. Unlimited PTO. Engineering has excellent leadership.

New services are being developed using modern technology stacks and best software practices. Good opportunities to break apart a monolithic application into a service-oriented architecture (SOA). Opportunity to gain lots of technical knowledge and learn new skills.

There is no policy or expectations for pay raises and career growth (i.e. no "salary review every year"). This leaves it in your hands to influence your career path and pay; it's up to you to make it happen.

Paid benefits (i.e. health insurance) are undoubtedly good.

I would consider OneLogin's quality inside the standard deviation of most other SF startups, but on the positive side.

Cons

Core application is very difficult to work with, runs on old technology stack and has significant technical debt (though this isn't atypical of most places). Can be frustrating if you're stuck working on core application.

Very little mentorship. A very poor place to work if you're a junior rails developer; core application is too complicated for junior people.

Promises to work on a SOA have been delayed or unfulfilled for many developers. Easy to get stuck working on old codebase.

No 401K matching.

There is no policy or expectations for pay raises and career growth (i.e. no "salary review every year"). Nobody will go out of their way to give you a raise or promote you if you don't say anything. Difficult to know if it is appropriate to discuss these matters, but management is very helpful if you do.

The town hall meetings are excellent for company visibility. Would like to have clear expectations about career growth, salary reviews.

Single Sign On and Identity Management - OneLogin is at the heart of Enterprise Identity and the upside is undeniable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is always something to do and I always feel productive. My team and I are excited about work and about the improvements that are constantly appearing in our product. Our customer list gets more impressive every single day.

Cons

OneLogin needs to consider promoting from within. Upper management does not relay pertinent team information (like new managers being hired) to the team until it happens.

Identify your dedicated, hard working employees and reward them - or they will leave.
    The 401K should match employee contribution. We're at the size where we need it to be competitive with other companies in the area.
    Be more open and honest with employees.

Guaranteed to be successful in some facet. Awesome culture and leadership.

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Leadership: CEO, CTO, VP of Product and VP of Engineering are awesome people and have a real vision. I've learned a lot of non-technical things while working with them that I find extremely valuable.

Engineering: People that definitely care about the product and are excited to be here.

Compensation: Very competitive, even with fully matured companies.

Cons

None, really. Some initial growing pains that every start-up has, but is maturing into a really nice company.

Great People Great Product

I have been working at OneLogin full-time

Pros

I genuinely enjoy working at OneLogin. There are three things I look for when choosing employment: the people, the problem, the technology.

The OneLogin team is full of people who not only care about each other, they care about their work. It's energizing to work alongside teammates who you look forward to seeing!

The OneLogin product is solving a problem almost every company is faced with today, and it's creating solutions that win customers. It's exciting to be part of a team that is continually responding to market demands!

OneLogin is paving the way in the IAM space. Although some of us may have to work with older technologies, we have the opportunity of transitioning our product forward. This is a very interesting problem to be solving!

The OneLogin culture is one that I'm glad to be a part of. If you've ever worked somewhere you'd rather not talk about, know that this is not that place.

Cons

Some days can be extremely stressful when you're trying to find that show stopping bug. Enjoying the results of working under pressure will undoubtedly make this less of an issue.

The fast pace and rapid growth can often lead to work that isn't fully planned out. If you like taking charge and responding to feedback (both internal and external) this can be a good thing.

All those free snacks and lunches can give you a food coma, and sometimes you might have to wait for a turn on the foosball table.

Hire people you trust, and trust them to do a good job. As we grow, let's begin to give people more power to take chances on their own ideas.

Growing, learning, evolving, bring energy and a positive attitude

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Environment is dynamic with great access to many different kinds of partners, interesting technologies, complex use cases and great people.

Cons

Good is the bad, it can be challenging to keep up with the growth. There are opportunities to increase niceties like a proper on-boarding process (underway), and effective cross departmental communication could improve.

Find those last missing pieces to the management team and then hold on. The market is exploding and opportunities abound for growth.

OneLogin = Stimulation!!!!

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant, fast-paced, successful startup culture that allows you to grow professionally and achieve what you thought was impossible. OneLogin provides an autonomous work environment that provides confident, highly energetic and self-motivated employees to exceed their professional and financial aspirations. If you are confident, coachable and love having full control of your career track, then OneLogin is your home.

Cons

Absolutely NONE! Our leaders have the playbook. Join the team, follow the playbook and add to it.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great product, compelling problems to solve, awesome people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

#1 pro for me: the people. I know it's a cliche, but I legitimately like nearly everyone I work with, across departments as well as hierarchy, which is hugely important for me as my role calls for collaboration across multiple functions.

We are fairly chill here for the most part, but it's frightening how focused we can get when it comes time to ship new features or solve issues for our customers.

Speaking of customers, we absolutely love ours. We work with some of the most succesful, coolest, smartest companies out there. We consider them our partners and are consistently inspired by them.

Benefits are great: unlimited vacay, daily catered lunch, stacked snack room, Foosball and Pool table, awesome office with one of the best views in SF, whatever equipment you need to do your job, etc etc.

Executive team and management in general are open and available. They will help you work through problems as opposed to just expecting you to deal with it yourself. I can't speak for everyone but my experience is that they genuinely care about your health/sanity and overall happiness, on both a professional and personal level.

Work/life balance is well-respected on most of the teams here. You are not expected to work 18 hour days and sleep under your desk to get stuff done. Quality of work is respected more than butts in seats. Plenty of people here have families, kids, projects outside of work, etc.

Cons

If you need a ton of structure and predictibility, you might not be the happiest camper here. Taking the initiative to figure things out yourself when the path forward isn't explicitly defined for you is a HIGHLY valued and appreciated trait here.

Processes change semi-frequently here (in the spirit of optimization and iteration), which might frustrate some people.

Career progression/goals aren't always clearly defined.

Electric skateboards aren't given to every new employee.

You have an awesome vision for the future of this company and this space. Maintain that to the best of your abilities and try not to be too deterred by competitor activity.

Continue caring about your employees. This will be very difficult as we scale, but it's hugely important and builds real loyalty. Ditto for our customers.

Exciting place to work with awesome people

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

OneLogin is a fast-paced workplace, but even so the work-life balance is great. I've always been able to take time off when needed, whether it's for a dentist appointment or a vacation.

Because the company is growing so rapidly, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact and move up or move within the company. I've always been encouraged to take on more leadership and I've been empowered to make decisions.

If you want to work in an environment where excellence and teamwork is celebrated, this is the place!

Cons

There are definitely some growing pains that come with such rapid growth, but for me it's been an exciting challenge. I'm surprised to read any really negative comments on here, especially by current employees, when I know just how much the company does (and everyone on the team does) to take care of every employee.

Keep the strong focus on culture as we grow

Exciting & Growing

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Identity Access Management (IAM) and Single Sign-On (SSO) is the gateway to launching your Cloud Apps.

The "cloud" has been talked about for year but true mass adoption is just starting to happen within corporate & enterprise IT.

OneLogin is a leader within this space and 2015 and 2016 are going to be an explosive time to be part of this transformation. The time to join OneLogin is now!

Also great work/life balance.

Cons

Not many, you just need startup mindset in order to excel. Rapidly moving and changing.

Stay focused on Customers, Partners and corporate culture as we rapidly grow in 2015 and beyond.

Startup with high growth capability

I have been working at OneLogin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, good salary, a few startup perks, excellent work/life balance, and located in a nice spot in the City. As a startup, you get the opportunity to help shape the company and "wins" are more frequent than at a larger company. The company has a bright future ahead of it due to the demand in this space, so it's not riding any kind of bubble.

Cons

If you crave a lot of structure (including in-depth training), this is not the place for you. If you want to help create structure then this is the place for you. As a startup, there are limited opportunities for career progression in the short term, but if you are in for the long haul, you will see this improve in proportion to the company's success.

Consistency is key to creating a positive work environment and removing some of the chaos inherent to a less structured org.