OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial)
www.onemainfinancial.com Baltimore, MD 150 to 499 Employees

OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) President and CEO Mary McDowell

Mary McDowell

Pros:
  • "Good benefits- that's pretty much the only reason why I'm staying with the company"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Great benefits (medical) and good "line" folks"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work can get very repetitive and upper management can be pesky"
    in 12 reviews
  • "No room for growth, products are ridiculous, and pay is inadequete for the amount of service provided on each account"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

overall good..

Branch Account Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for less than a year

Prostime off /// hour lunch /// not treated like a child like alot of other companies

Conssome employees there are not good with customer and dont know anything about customer service.. too much competition not in a good way.. selfish people.

Keep looking...

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary isn't terrible. Coworkers are aligned as a team usually. Lots of challenges to keep you engaged (if you enjoy that). You do have flexibility in your day (you control your own success for the most part). It's a satisfying job when you are doing well.

ConsSalary needs to be higher for ALL of what is required of you. It's nice to have a lot of control of your abilities and handle underwriting, loan apps, collections, account management, etc...(see what I mean?) but, honestly, other companies divide our tasks into different departments. What's the best thing about this company is they haven't given merit increases (except to the top 5% only) since 2008....despite record-breaking profits the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about offering measly merit increases to the people that stick it out with your company and stop guilt-tripping everyone that if they didn't get one they didn't "earn" it.

A good company gone bad

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Greenville, SC

I worked at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay
Good benefits
Good bonus structure

ConsThis company used to be the top of the heap, but now that they're on the market to the highest bidder it's every man for himself. The middle management is worried about their numbers looking good for whoever their new bosses may be that the work environment has gone from first class to hostile. Suddenly previously valued employees are being whipped like slaves and many are jumping ship at the first reasonable offer. So sad to see a company like this on its knees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell quickly before all of the capable employees are gone.

Limited opportunities

Baltimore, MD

ProsGood benefits and work life balance

Consno ability to increase skills or upward mobility

Sinking Ship

Branch Account Manager (Former Employee)
Aurora, CO

I worked at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are good. You will get a paycheck.

ConsManage doesn't care about their employees or customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Not what I thought...

Branch Account Executive II (Current Employee)
Pottsville, PA

ProsGood benefits- that's pretty much the only reason why I'm staying with the company

ConsExtremely low pay- when I was first hired, the HR specialist was so excited to advise me they offer "excellent monthly and quarterly bonuses!!!". Well...monthly goals are set so high that it's nearly impossible to reach them. Even after I met them, my bonus came to be $14 after taxes!

Very repetitive- each day can be the same routine again and again. Every day, first thing you hear is "make sure you get on those calls!" I don't know about you, but if I was a customer, I wouldn't want to get a call at 8:30 in the morning asking if I need more money.

No focus on "what's best for the customer". It's just "upsell them & get those insurances!"

Management lacks leadership skills and changes their ideas/standards a lot. One month you'll have to keep a list of past due accounts you've collected. After month's end, they decided they "didn't need it". Well, thanks for wasting my time. Next month, we'll have to try something else that isn't going to work.

Poor training- 2 weeks of training in a different office, watching what they do, and reading the online manual just doesn't cut it.

Too much pressure to sell the insurances. It's not that I don't have "enough experience" in sales (after working over 7 years in it), it's the fact that the insurances can add up to $90 on your monthly payment, so if I was the customer, I wouldn't take them either.

Very few opportunities for advancement.

Service Processor II in the Payment Processing center.

Service Processor II (Former Employee)
Fort Mill, SC

I worked at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than a year

ProsThe payment processing center was a back office position with a casual environment. The pay level was appropriate for the position. The monthly bonus program was a good incentive. Lots of opportunity to learn a variety of tasks and help other teams. Depending on your manager they were easy to talk to. College reimbursement program was a good as well. Management seemed to take input well on how to improve processes. Encourage a team environment and monthly paid team building events.

ConsLimited room for advancement and opportunities did not come up very often. No flexibility in shifts. Month end could create for a very long day. No established in house training process to prepare employees to advance to higher positions.

Morally Hard

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunities for growth and development

ConsDOES not pay employees for what they are worth

OneMain is going through a transition with limited job growth.

I have been working at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time

ProsOneMain has good experienced people.

ConsSmall company with limited job growth at present.

AVP

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWeekends off mostly, good benefits

ConsVery low wages, very cut throat cannot trust most people

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease wages

Worked for OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) CEO Mary McDowell. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by OneMain Financial (formerly CitiFinancial) employees.