OneNeck Reviews

Reset
2.2
Phil LaForge

1. Featured Review

Good company to work for

I have been working at OneNeck full-time

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Great people to work with. Good flexibility for work and home balance.

Cons

There are a lot of changes in management and organizational structure being implemented but most of them sound very positive.

The grass is greener on the other side..

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Insurance premiums are ridiculously low and they are pretty open to wfh more often than not, albeit not on a permanent basis.

Cons

Could go on repeating the same thing everyone else is, or just confirm yes management has now turned this into an IT sweat shop, created a tiered support structure and had effectively pulled the plug on raises (hint at 90k salary, I received a 1.2% raise, compared to pre-new-management was 3.7% the year before). Bonus wasn't much better 4%, still lousy, for an engineer, whose primary role was leading income generating projects pre operations. Piece of advice, if you're new to IT field this is your best bet, on the flip side keep looking. Just saying.

Advice to Management

Hahahaha, they don't listen anyhow. I'm serious!

3. Just For You

Former Employee - Administrator III in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrator III in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at OneNeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can just hope one day company goes with the Name One Neck.

Cons

From raging, whisper of corporate, from lecture to ride for picking my car, pick up truck showing ohm from flying plane in my apartment backyard. so many things not sure what wrong i do .... but office has to stay in office.. didn't like if you bring that to my apartment. I learnt .things which i was NOT ready to ... or didn't even expected that.

Advice to Management

Hope when you acquire the company dirty tactics of eyeing of employee are not being done. Its the worst way of gaining the faith. Hopefully the Minneapolis (Partner in Crime EMC) DC would have migrated by now. Host based or array based migration. Fool me.

The new owners have moved in

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous exposure to several unique customer IT environments. Numerous opportunities to learn and grow your technical skills if you take it upon yourself to learn as they don't offer any real training. This is a perfect opportunity for junior and mid-level IT professionals to gain critical experience in mission critical IT environments. Benefits such as insurance are pretty solid as well. Pay scales are somewhat close to market rate for mid-level IT pros. The people in the trenches doing the work are some really great co-workers and the team atmosphere is excellent.

Cons

TDS is moving the company from a customer intimacy IT specialist model to a SKU based commodity IT service model. In this process they have devalued industry standard job titles such as Windows Administrator or Oracle Database Administrator to “Service Administrator” regardless of your specialty. Clint Harder, the CTO, is aggressively moving to shed high salary employees from the legacy organizations and is dead-set against providing any sort of severance. Instead he has fostered a culture of “performance them out”. This has already ripped through the service delivery manager group and created nervous employees and a toxic work environment. Many see this practice as shady and unprofessional. OneNeck is composed of several TDS acquisitions and merging them has been a difficult struggle at times. There is certainly contention between the companies on management styles and company- wide standards. The fledging project management office has encountered tremendous resistance from the operations team in service transition projects. I’ve heard project managers refer to the org as “dysfunctional” as operations would rather flex its muscles and push back over some minor detail instead of providing excellent customer service. Many top talented IT professionals began to leave the company during the recent operations restructure. These employees were not back filled due to cost and as a result has put tremendous pressure on the remaining employees to provide service to the many challenging customer environments. This has certainly caused quality to slip and work-life balance to slide. OneNeck no longer offers competitive salaries for top talent professionals and as a result most new workers are mediocre at best. Their junior IT training program is a joke as most people skate through it well ahead of time and unprepared to deal with difficult issues. To new or existing customers: prepare for a significant degradation of service as OneNeck is replacing its once expert IT staff with inexperienced personnel. If you want something more robust than basic administration i.e. (user mgmt, backups) then look elsewhere, hire a 3rd party consultant, or have your own in house expert staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on customer expectations as the IT service moves from specialized to commodity. Structure customer contracts in a way that better prevents service abuse when the customer attempts to order off the menu items. Hire more technical resources to provide some relief. The current operations middle management layer is delusional and in need of a fresh start with some real leadership.

Changes for the worst

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work atmosphere Decent benefits, including vacation time

Cons

Stagnate pay, and low starting pay rates; Poor management, may as well put any suggestions in the trash for the good it will do; Incredibly high turnover rates, you will never work with the same people longer then a year; Constant environment changes, not improvements on existing technology, just relearning slight variations on previous ones; Do to the low staff numbers, hours are long, overtime is expected, and being on-call is constant. Taking advantage of your vacation hours often means you just forced a fellow employee to work double shifts.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth and they won't leave after a year.

Bad people

Former Employee - Ops Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Ops Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at OneNeck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An overall rotten group of management I cannot say anything good about.

Cons

No way can I list everything bad about this company it's already been said.

Advice to Management

none

Damage control?

Former Employee - AX Dynamica in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - AX Dynamica in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at OneNeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. The people are very nice that work there but they don't get a chance to stay around long enough to make a difference.

Cons

I guess glass door is succumbing to some kind of legal pressure from One Neck on reviews since the negatives keep disappearing like the employees do. It does not matter when you average 1 employee getting fired or quitting every 1.5 days the word gets out. They deserve every customer lost and every employee loss. Worst company to work for.

Advice to Management

go away.

Good question. They keep changing them.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

used to be a fantastic company to work for. Still a good company to work for. Most of the good engineers and techs are leaving or have left due to new management, mainly the CEO Clint Harder and even worse is Phil LaForge. TDS corporate!! Open your eyes!

Cons

Clint Harder has said multiple times that they expect you to be available to work 24/7/365 regardless of whether or not you are the on call engineer. They have effectively stopped giving any kind of raises and just closed an entire office and laid them all off because they didn't meet the companies "expected growth". They only see $$ now that we are owned by a publicly traded parent company. I used to enjoy coming to work, now I dread it. Our customers have noticed the shift in legal and management and are opting out of renewing contracts and are pulling their servers and services back in house. Once the brand of OneNeck has been sucked dry by lousy management (CEO down to director level) then they will probably sell us to recoupe the profit we used to make before they changed everything. We went from a highly profitable company with some of the smartest IT and engineers to just another IT shop with crappy managenent.

Advice to Management

Honestly, if you care about the company... Step down. Promote from within from the few that still care and know how we should run. You have smart people and some are even almost PHD. Just quit already.

General impression

Current Employee - Service Technician and NOC Monitor in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Service Technician and NOC Monitor in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, nice people, fairly decent work environment,eventhough it is a touch stuffy.

Cons

Poor company organization, and that is a BIG one. Poor pay. The jobs themselves aren't too prestigious. You kind of feel like another minion in the machine, even if it is a smaller company (for now). It seems like management has no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Get your organization down. If you have heard "It's like one hand isnt talking to the other" it is very similar as to what is going on here, except this company is a damn octopus, so the communication is an even bigger issue.

Been with company for nearly 3 years

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OneNeck is a fast paced, exciting place to work. Great co-workers and leadership.

Cons

I wouldn't say its a con, but as the company is growing there are many growing pains. But it is all for the better.

Advice to Management

Continue being leaders!

RSS Feed </> Embed