OneNeck

Updated February 10, 2015
Updated February 10, 2015
2.6

Charles A. Vermillion

Getting better after a rough 2014. Finally starting to operate as one company, not a bunch of acquisitions.

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Vast majority of people are good people you like to work with.
    -Really smart and talented engineers.
    -Cool product offerings in a growing industry, lots of opportunity to get bigger.
    -New operational leaders that seem to know how to run/fix operations.
    -Overall company integrity.
    -Good salary and benefits including time off for volunteering

Cons

-Still weeding out toxic employees who are only in it for themselves and put more of a burden on people doing their job like they are supposed to.
    -Need to get systems in place so there is not so much "fire fighting" and things get fixed before it gets that bad.
    -Took too long to integrate acquisitions so people stayed in their silos and resisted any changes; hopefully past that now.
    -Parent company (TDS) policies can get in the way, but I guess that happens in a lot of big, public companies.
    -Corporate buzzwords everywhere!

Get rid of the rest of the whiners because it drags down everyone else. Improve communications across groups so they can really work together. Make sure internal stuff does not impact customers.

Wporse place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Customer Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money is about it they pay well. I can't really think of anything nice else to say about this company.
    Any postive review posted on this sit is ether by a few dumb managers or Theresa Snyder the marketing VP.

Cons

1. No quality of life, chew you up sot you out and if you don't drink the cool-aid its you not them
    2. Don't care about their people just profits.
    3. You can't be sick, You can't go on vacation , you get no holidays -- if you do use them don't worry it's the same as being at work.
    4. People are jumping ship in droves lucky them.
    5. Cling Harder is the CTO but is really running the company the other guy no one even knows who he is.
    6. They are trying to repackage this company to be sold again.
    7. Don't work here you will regret it everyday.

None it won't help this good ol boy network.

I was a member of an acquired organization. The new corp structure is built for growth and execution.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company that has a strong go to market strategy. Opportunities to advance are ripe for the picking. Good compensation.

Cons

Need more operations engineering staff to scale and maintain high customer sat rates. New mgmt structure will align resources and maybe provide more synergies.

Keep up the great work. You are laying the groundwork for a billion dollar growth story.

Don't waste your time working there.

I worked at OneNeck

Pros

Used to be a nice place to work. Not perfect but nice.

Cons

Since they were bought out, things are steadily going down hill. All they care about is revenue, they no longer care about their customers and they certainly do not care about their employees.

None, it's too late to turn things around, unless you replace everyone in management.

Run don't walk away

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck

Pros

Flexible and OK salary most of the teams are nice.

Cons

Lots but all orgs seem to be on different pages and different agendas, no team work, it's not my job, speak customer service and do poorly at it. Cannot get an answer from anyone. Management is clueless although nice. This is the newest Phoenix IT sweatshop, will never be on a list of best places to work. Lots of buck passing.

None sell the company again. Staff up and make people accountable.

Exciting times for a growing organization!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Resource in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time

Pros

-significant efforts underway to streamline tech environment management (job efficiency increase)
    -new solutions and technologies being introduced builds engineers resume as well as increases market competitiveness (on job training)
    -those that take risks and show their value through successes are well compensated (opportunities for increased responsibility and associated compensation perks)
    -management has an open door policy at every level; never been turned away from suggestion to request (value and respect employee's opinion)

Cons

-clearer vision for company with recent acquisitions
    -more transparency on organizational hierarchy changes to come
    -clearer resource requisition process (possibly tied to new business or qty of managed elements)

Great team, doing a bang-up job. However, don't forget to place your self in the shoes of a frontline resource, and provide more transparency to help paint a clearer picture. As visible in some vocal negative resources, minds will wander and assumptions will be made with lack of communication.

OneNeck is a great place to work

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow from a low level position, if you have the motivation, drive and wherewithal to ask for it.

Cons

There is some level of disorganization. My department does not seem to have this issue, but I've seen and heard a lot of other people from different teams upset about work load and lack of direction.

My Manager is pretty awesome. Keep doin what you're doin!

I made a mistake when I took the offer.

Current Employee - Ops Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, decent Salary, OK benefits

Cons

Seems to me there is something dysfunctional here, a lot of p contests between departments. Everyone has an excuse why the can't meet deadlines and seems to confusion or short staffed is the primary reasons. They say they are a flat organization "WRONG" , they say the delight the customers "WRONG" they p them off constantly. NO wonder customers and employees leave in droves. STAY Away lots of blame and no answers. POOR Planing every where.

None they are nice and trying hard but don't think they are the ones for change.

A great company to hire, but a terrible one to work for

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good telecommuting/work from home policy
    Good team chemistry

Cons

First off, I want to point out that the last two overly positive reviews were absolutely put up by someone in the marketing department or from Senior Management. Not one single person that works for this company outside them (trust me, I know) feels positively about OneNeck or its prosperity in the near term.

Absolutely no leadership from anyone in management. Employees are told to do whatever the customer wants, even if it's against their best interests, because so many of our customers are upset at us right now. Our management has no idea what the proper headcount is for any Operations staff - yet they continually say that we can't hire more people to address the incredible backlog of work we have. We've gone from handling P3 tickets (4 hour acknowledgement time) in 1-2 days max to more then 2-3 weeks. Due to that fact, we have a constant barrage of requests for adding users, groups, and performing other completely non-critical requests come in as P2s (must handle within 1 hour). This is killing our staff and causing multiple senior and long-term employees to find other jobs. We have lost almost a dozen people (6 from my department alone) in the past 6 months, each of them taking with them a ton of tribal, non-documented knowledge due to the huge backlog of issues we have to deal with. So every time we lose someone, we basically have to start all over with their customers from scratch. And due to the fact that we have no time to document issues or customer environments, so many things fall through the cracks, only to be found as P2 emergencies weeks or months later.

If you're in the position to provide technical guidance to customers, your advice will almost always be overridden or ignored by both our Customer Management team and/or the customer. And when the solution the customer wants doesn't work, we still get blamed and have to fix it immediately.

OneNeck is an exhausting, frustrating, thankless place to work.

Stop thinking that Enterprise-level IT support can be analogous to manufacturing. We cannot output "x" support in "y" time. Every issue is different, and due to the fact that all our customers have different implementations due to no standards being set or adhered to.

Also, if you want your people to start caring again, give them a reason to. Stop telling them that you'd gladly pay them Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Best company I've worked for ... yes, bumps in the road ... but where exactly don't those happen?

Current Employee - Senior Technical Resource in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

From the dawn of my tenure at OneNeck IT Solutions (then OneNeck IT Services), the people and management of OneNeck have almost universally been the best I've ever worked with. The benefits have always been better than average and compensation is as equally competitive. Other than the very thinnest of years (recession years), OneNeck has always given the typical 3-6% raises, depending on goal-achievement and other success factors. While not structured, nor formal policy, OneNeck has consistently paid bonuses to the technical teams based on overall Operations performance and other undisclosed success factors.

Cons

It is true that planning can sometimes seem to be lacking. OneNeck has always been a very agile company. Many customers come to OneNeck due to our flexibility and responsiveness to new customer transitions, customer projects and customer break/fix issues. As OneNeck has continued to grow, this agility is still a cornerstone; however, the growing pains of a fast-growing customer-base have made the road a bit bumpy ... but I've rode these waves with OneNeck before...and OneNeck will continue to use its agility to make adjustments and continue on the path of positive growth and evolution.

I also see comments here about OneNeck being an "IT sweat shop." Having been with the company for nearly a decade, I can honestly say that 90% or more of my work weeks have come-in under 43 hours. Perhaps this varies from discipline to discipline; however, I believe middle-management is receptive to, "No." when one needs to balance their personal and professional lives.

Make top talent retention a high priority.