OneNeck

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.8

Charles A. Vermillion

Exciting times for a growing organization!

I have been working at OneNeck full-time

Pros

-significant efforts underway to streamline tech environment management (job efficiency increase)
    -new solutions and technologies being introduced builds engineers resume as well as increases market competitiveness (on job training)
    -those that take risks and show their value through successes are well compensated (opportunities for increased responsibility and associated compensation perks)
    -management has an open door policy at every level; never been turned away from suggestion to request (value and respect employee's opinion)

Cons

-clearer vision for company with recent acquisitions
    -more transparency on organizational hierarchy changes to come
    -clearer resource requisition process (possibly tied to new business or qty of managed elements)

Great team, doing a bang-up job. However, don't forget to place your self in the shoes of a frontline resource, and provide more transparency to help paint a clearer picture. As visible in some vocal negative resources, minds will wander and assumptions will be made with lack of communication.

OneNeck is a great place to work

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow from a low level position, if you have the motivation, drive and wherewithal to ask for it.

Cons

There is some level of disorganization. My department does not seem to have this issue, but I've seen and heard a lot of other people from different teams upset about work load and lack of direction.

My Manager is pretty awesome. Keep doin what you're doin!

A great company to hire, but a terrible one to work for

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good telecommuting/work from home policy
    Good team chemistry

Cons

First off, I want to point out that the last two overly positive reviews were absolutely put up by someone in the marketing department or from Senior Management. Not one single person that works for this company outside them (trust me, I know) feels positively about OneNeck or its prosperity in the near term.

Absolutely no leadership from anyone in management. Employees are told to do whatever the customer wants, even if it's against their best interests, because so many of our customers are upset at us right now. Our management has no idea what the proper headcount is for any Operations staff - yet they continually say that we can't hire more people to address the incredible backlog of work we have. We've gone from handling P3 tickets (4 hour acknowledgement time) in 1-2 days max to more then 2-3 weeks. Due to that fact, we have a constant barrage of requests for adding users, groups, and performing other completely non-critical requests come in as P2s (must handle within 1 hour). This is killing our staff and causing multiple senior and long-term employees to find other jobs. We have lost almost a dozen people (6 from my department alone) in the past 6 months, each of them taking with them a ton of tribal, non-documented knowledge due to the huge backlog of issues we have to deal with. So every time we lose someone, we basically have to start all over with their customers from scratch. And due to the fact that we have no time to document issues or customer environments, so many things fall through the cracks, only to be found as P2 emergencies weeks or months later.

If you're in the position to provide technical guidance to customers, your advice will almost always be overridden or ignored by both our Customer Management team and/or the customer. And when the solution the customer wants doesn't work, we still get blamed and have to fix it immediately.

OneNeck is an exhausting, frustrating, thankless place to work.

Stop thinking that Enterprise-level IT support can be analogous to manufacturing. We cannot output "x" support in "y" time. Every issue is different, and due to the fact that all our customers have different implementations due to no standards being set or adhered to.

Also, if you want your people to start caring again, give them a reason to. Stop telling them that you'd gladly pay them Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Best company I've worked for ... yes, bumps in the road ... but where exactly don't those happen?

Current Employee - Senior Technical Resource in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

From the dawn of my tenure at OneNeck IT Solutions (then OneNeck IT Services), the people and management of OneNeck have almost universally been the best I've ever worked with. The benefits have always been better than average and compensation is as equally competitive. Other than the very thinnest of years (recession years), OneNeck has always given the typical 3-6% raises, depending on goal-achievement and other success factors. While not structured, nor formal policy, OneNeck has consistently paid bonuses to the technical teams based on overall Operations performance and other undisclosed success factors.

Cons

It is true that planning can sometimes seem to be lacking. OneNeck has always been a very agile company. Many customers come to OneNeck due to our flexibility and responsiveness to new customer transitions, customer projects and customer break/fix issues. As OneNeck has continued to grow, this agility is still a cornerstone; however, the growing pains of a fast-growing customer-base have made the road a bit bumpy ... but I've rode these waves with OneNeck before...and OneNeck will continue to use its agility to make adjustments and continue on the path of positive growth and evolution.

I also see comments here about OneNeck being an "IT sweat shop." Having been with the company for nearly a decade, I can honestly say that 90% or more of my work weeks have come-in under 43 hours. Perhaps this varies from discipline to discipline; however, I believe middle-management is receptive to, "No." when one needs to balance their personal and professional lives.

Make top talent retention a high priority.

So far I really enjoy it

Current Employee - Windows Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Windows Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team I work with is a fantastic group of very knowledgeable people and are very willing to share their experience. The benefits are fantastic, and options to telecommute and flexible schedule is terrific.

Cons

The work is very intense and can be quite overwhelming. The company is in the middle of a transition and several managers and senior resources have left and the positions have not been filled. This can be a problem as there is a lack of resources when you need cooperation from other teams.

You don't want to work here

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at OneNeck full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Get to "play" with a lot of different technology.
    There are a few good people left in the trenches. The # is dwindling quickly.
    If you are lazy - you can just sit around and collect a paycheck.

Cons

If you are not lazy, you have to work with and pickup the slack for people that only want to collect a paycheck.
    No incentive to work.
    Middle management reminds me of the worst from Dilbert.
    There is no direction.
    The integration plan from M&A has gone horribly wrong. There is no plan. There is no one that has a clue steering the ship.
    Customers know the deal and abuse you as a OneNeck employee, because upper management lets it happen.
    Customers are very unhappy about their level of service and take it out on the employees (recent).
    HR is clueless.

hummmmm... Since I know you guys, I don't think there isn't anything you don't already know.
    What is happening is not a bump in the road, or a just a few issues. The entire culture and reason behind why people enjoy doing what they do, has been removed from the company culture.

You can be whatever you want to be.

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of technology solutions and product offerings to learn.
    Good pay and opportunities for professional growth

Cons

Recent acquisitions/mergers leaves confusion as to what/where the other teams fit and what roles they will play.

Outlook for the future is unknown. It will be more of the same for the next 4 - 6 months.

Needs to be some communication regarding what the future of the organization will be....other than ReliaCloud.

No room to grow, too many abusive customers

Current Employee - Windows Administrator III in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Windows Administrator III in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time

Pros

Reasonable pay, decent benefits, some flexibility for comp time/flexible work hours for appointments and telecommuting

Cons

Management abuses their employees to the point of burn out. Terrible work/life balance and management could not care less about employee morale or turnover. They are getting close to losing customers due to this inefficiency, but doing virtually nothing to curb it. For more senior level IT engineering positions, there is no room to grow, no room to learn anything new, no room to do anything other than work tickets out of a queue and get abused by customers who think they own you because they pay your company.

With the current structure of your senior level operations staff, you are just going to keep churning people out left and right. There is absolutely no incentive to stay once you hit a level 3 or 4 Operations position as you'll never get the opportunity to grow or take on new responsibilities.

Managed transitions projects for new customers

Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at OneNeck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New technology, datacenters, location, ERP experience

Cons

No training, company very cheap on travel except executives, no PMO and methodologies not used. Never met customers face to face that created a lot of frustration among the customers. The schedule provided to implement the solution was completely unrealistic. Engineers do very lousy job due to enormous workloads and lack of knowledge and training.

create PMO and start doing what your competitors are doing.

Good Insurance poor Vision by Executive Staff on How to run a Business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at OneNeck full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Insurance good Benefits for new It works wanting to learn IT industry standards

Cons

Long hours with on call which is not paid out to users for time. Poor Merit increases even if your performance was great. If you worked on a really good project and got it done on site no bonus or time off. Communication is poor by management. Wrong staff hired for jobs and this company is headed down due Management choices from Midwest. Insane on call and abusive 24 X 7 support by the Support Center calling for silly things waking staff up for no reason.

Until Upper Management needs to gets on track. The same song will be sang. Delays in Major projects is due to Upper Management placing the wrong people and hiring the wrong staff to try to get a big project done. Senior staff are leaving due to Merit not being given out for performance. Again the wrong staff are on the bus right now and until something changes at the CIO desk you will see the same results.