OneSource Building Technologies
www.osbt.com Houston, TX 150 to 499 Employees

OneSource Building Technologies Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014
OneSource Building Technologies – Houston – “OneSource Main Headquarters”

Bruce F Davis

You couldn't ask for a better place to work

Project Lead (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay in a diminishing economy. Management actually cares about getting a job well done for the customer & taking care of their employees. New business procedures are created every day to fit our clients needs, and we've become one of the premier providers for major global companies. Great insurance, great atmosphere to work in. If you love sports, this is also the office for you!
    There is always room for growth here, but you have to put in the effort, just like any other job.

ConsThere are no cons. So many people want to complain about the atmosphere and how the operations are ran at this company. My advice is that there are way tougher jobs out there, and you will be expected to push yourself and go 100% no matter where you are employed. They have a business to run, and they are going to make sure you are doing your part. Don't expect to get a free ride on the easy train. They pay you, you don't pay them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing an excellent job - keep up the great work. You've built this company into something from nothing, and that is truly amazing in itself.

Poor Management skils and poor decency

Technician (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsI can not find one, looks like every employee is under tremendus pressure.

ConsManagers and Project Coordinators love to hide behind the phone answering system and emails, don't return your phone calls, travel policy is shady, you dont get pay for the first 10 miles, Project coordinator doesn’t advise enough details of the job, compensation is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with values and basic personal skills

Nightmare job, terrible management, long hours, low pay

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsA good place to get some Project Coordination/Management experience but I'd suggest getting a PMP certification soon after and you'd have many more opportunities with better earning power elsewhere. Some people liked the Flavia coffee machine. At the time I lived on the NW side of Houston so the location was convenient.

ConsThe Sales staff is constantly over-promising and putting the Operations department into crisis emergency mode. The pay was extremely low, insulting really but in a bad economy I needed the job. No options for career development or advancement. Long hours, no time for lunch breaks, no overtime but you're expected to work past the typical 8-5. I had to constantly deal with 3rd party subcontractors, that I hired for jobs, calling me and asking for their paychecks. I felt bad calling people to work jobs for me because I knew it was likely that they wouldn't be paid. This resulted in the contractors threatening to put liens on the company where my projects took place, which upset my clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the Sales department communicate with Operations on scheduling before promising the world and last minute emergencies at 5pm that must be completed today because there's no way I'm going to be able to find a tech to do this job and you're just going to upset the customer and blame the Project Coordinator. Pay a fair salary comparable to industry standards. Less micro-managing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosgreat place to work, relax environment, high tech company.

Consmusic cubicles, 8 hours + daily

Great Company!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThis company is in a cutting edge business and is customer focused. Work force is diverse and knowledgable. Work environment, although hectic, is supportive and respectful. Management supports individual growth and advancement opportunities.

ConsVery busy company means highly demanding work. May not be suitable for people not used to working independently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bringing in talented and hard working people. Identify the employees that are only interested in drawing a check and not the needs of our customers.

OneSource BT

Connectivity Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCurrent management is good 2007-Current

ConsLow compensation for technical market

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognition and Compensation for acheivements

Challenging and busy

PM (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth and expansion during a downed economy. Mgmt is approachable and listens to your ideas. Our lead sales guy is knowledgeable and cares in our well being. Keeps us busy with work all around the world. Good place to work. Benfits are above average compare to my last company.

ConsNeed to hire more knowledgeable vendor mgmt. Coordinators perform their work majority of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real vendor mgmt with knowledge.

Steady

Data Tech (Current Employee)

ProsIf you do a good job I think it raises your rating, so you get opportunities more regularly. Seems to pay pretty good.

ConsCompensation is not broken down per job, so it's a mystery sometimes what you are getting for which job. If you ask over the phone what a certain job will pay, they typically don't know that either. Most jobs require some home preparation which I don';t believe you are compensated for. Mileage is paid, but not the time driving. Not a big deal unless the job is far away.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tech check-in process can sometimes be really tedious. Please either fix that or pay for the time being on hold or answering silly questions.

Overworked, Underpaid,Shady Business Practices

Finance (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of free drinks to keep us caffeinated.

ConsLOT OF PAPERWORK!!! All the processes require extra paper to slow payment to vendors. Most vendors have terms of 45 days AFTER the ticket is closed. Typical terms are NET 30 from date work is preformed. Vendors call on a daily basis asking for payment. To the point that management will not take the calls and avoid answering.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a vendor payment schedule to avoid ambiguity. Reduce paper by eliminating "billing receipts" Have a process for EVERY vendor issue and handle complaints immediately.

The truth

Pros- Great coffee machine and continutally replenished stock of free sodas in the fridge to keep you caffeinated during the long work days.
    - Plenty of parking spaces in parking lot.
    - Located in NW suburban area (great for employees with children).
    - Great to get some entry-level project management experience in the IT and telecom industry but move on from this place after 6 to 12 months.

Cons- Management does not communicate well to staff at all. Senior management is constantly making rash and impulsive decisions, changing operations on a near-daily basis and never fully explaining the reasoning behind such decisions to its staff. Employees are often asked to move from one cubicle/office to another without any explanation. New staff roles and employee flowcharts will be passed around but never implemented because it changes monthly, weekly, even daily. There is absolutely no stability in this environment.
    - Overtime is strongly discouraged yet employees are given workoads that cannot possibly be completed by one person in an 8 hour work day. Lunch break is not in the vocabulary in this office environment. Reluctantly working undocumented overtime is the norm.
    - Management is untrusting of staff. Employees are given laptops and blackberries to monitor their projects at all times yet are not trusted or given the option to telecommute. Also, again, overtime is strongly discouraged.
    - At the time of this review, due to the state of the economy, the company is on a salary freeze. However, management and sales staff are constantly boasting record profit earnings (i.e. their commission) and spending company dollars on "corporate retreats." This does not go unnoticed and further bruises employee morale.
    - Employees are rarely, if ever, praised or recognized for their good work. There is no positive reinforcement system, you will only hear feedback if you made a mistake. Management frequently uses scare tactics and threatening behavior to "encourage" employees to see a project through.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the micro-managing and start actively recognizging the worth of your human capital. Your employees should be seen and treated as valuable assets, not incompentent slaves. Instead of threatening employees to work harder and on more projects or be fired, try positive reinforcements and ways to motivate the staff. There needs to be a more effective balance between what Sales Management is offering the client and what Operations can feasibly deliver. Operations Management needs to be trained on how to tactfully get employees to deliver profitable results, but there need to be realistic expectations set. Invest in your human capital by hiring a qualified efficiency expert or Industrial/Organizational Psychologist to fix the problems stated in this review or there is no hope.

Worked for OneSource Building Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OneSource Building Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OneSource Building Technologies CEO Bruce F Davis. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by OneSource Building Technologies employees.