OneSource Building Technologies

2.9
Bruce F Davis

Great Company!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

This company is in a cutting edge business and is customer focused. Work force is diverse and knowledgable. Work environment, although hectic, is supportive and respectful. Management supports individual growth and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Very busy company means highly demanding work. May not be suitable for people not used to working independently.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in talented and hard working people. Identify the employees that are only interested in drawing a check and not the needs of our customers.

You couldn't ask for a better place to work

Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay in a diminishing economy. Management actually cares about getting a job well done for the customer & taking care of their employees. New business procedures are created every day to fit our clients needs, and we've become one of the premier providers for major global companies. Great insurance, great atmosphere to work in. If you love sports, this is also the office for you! There is always room for growth here, but you have to put in the effort, just like any other job.

Cons

There are no cons. So many people want to complain about the atmosphere and how the operations are ran at this company. My advice is that there are way tougher jobs out there, and you will be expected to push yourself and go 100% no matter where you are employed. They have a business to run, and they are going to make sure you are doing your part. Don't expect to get a free ride on the easy train. They pay you, you don't pay them.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing an excellent job - keep up the great work. You've built this company into something from nothing, and that is truly amazing in itself.

3. Project Coordinator (4 plus years)

Pros

Great place for career, management accepts ideas for new and inventive ways for improvement. Opportunity to work with technicians around the world on telecom projects for our customers.

Cons

Property management needs to start working on structure issues with building.

Advice to Management

Keep growing

5. Challenging and busy

Current Employee - PM
    Current Employee - PM

Pros

Growth and expansion during a downed economy. Mgmt is approachable and listens to your ideas. Our lead sales guy is knowledgeable and cares in our well being. Keeps us busy with work all around the world. Good place to work. Benfits are above average compare to my last company.

Cons

Need to hire more knowledgeable vendor mgmt. Coordinators perform their work majority of the time.

Advice to Management

Hire real vendor mgmt with knowledge.

6. OneSource BT

Current Employee - Connectivity Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Connectivity Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Current management is good 2007-Current

Cons

Low compensation for technical market

Advice to Management

Recognition and Compensation for acheivements

7. great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work, relax environment, high tech company.

Cons

music cubicles, 8 hours + daily

Steady

Current Employee - Data Tech
    Current Employee - Data Tech

Pros

If you do a good job I think it raises your rating, so you get opportunities more regularly. Seems to pay pretty good.

Cons

Compensation is not broken down per job, so it's a mystery sometimes what you are getting for which job. If you ask over the phone what a certain job will pay, they typically don't know that either. Most jobs require some home preparation which I don';t believe you are compensated for. Mileage is paid, but not the time driving. Not a big deal unless the job is far away.

Advice to Management

The tech check-in process can sometimes be really tedious. Please either fix that or pay for the time being on hold or answering silly questions.

Only a small stepping stone - No future here

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time

Pros

Great place to work if your life evolves around sports and you enjoy being micromanaged all the way down to placing your coffee cup in the dishwasher and counting how many pieces of toilet paper you use in the restroom. All the free premium coffee one could ever desire, but there is probably a camera watching and counting each sip. Managing partner is not cheap, but he is sure to make you aware of this. This company is also big on offering opportunities for charity donations from employees that can barely make ends meet on the low pay given - this is a pro for charities but a con for those who cannot even make ends meet but it sure makes "the company" look good.

Cons

Low pay, no annual reviews but preferential treatment and higher salaries are given to certain preferred individuals. No appreciation or recognition is shown for extra effort and dedication where credit is due, but some are certainly recognized for being at work on a given day and smiling for a photo. Harsh criticism and termination threats are given without any hesitation to fully comprehend or discuss actual facts. Although the company does compensate $50 per month to use ones personal cell phone for business use, one is expected to have company email on it and to answer business calls 24/7, regardless of the time of day or night and you may be threatened if you do not take a call or respond to an email.

Advice to Management

Managing partner needs to spend more time away from the office and concentrate more on his family or be more like the CEO/CFO and let everyone do the job they were hired or assigned to do.

10. Small compay

Pros

The CEO was very personable

Cons

Not much structure within the company

Nightmare job, terrible management, long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

A good place to get some Project Coordination/Management experience but I'd suggest getting a PMP certification soon after and you'd have many more opportunities with better earning power elsewhere. Some people liked the Flavia coffee machine. At the time I lived on the NW side of Houston so the location was convenient.

Cons

The Sales staff is constantly over-promising and putting the Operations department into crisis emergency mode. The pay was extremely low, insulting really but in a bad economy I needed the job. No options for career development or advancement. Long hours, no time for lunch breaks, no overtime but you're expected to work past the typical 8-5. I had to constantly deal with 3rd party subcontractors, that I hired for jobs, calling me and asking for their paychecks. I felt bad calling people to work jobs for me because I knew it was likely that they wouldn't be paid. This resulted in the contractors threatening to put liens on the company where my projects took place, which upset my clients.

Advice to Management

Have the Sales department communicate with Operations on scheduling before promising the world and last minute emergencies at 5pm that must be completed today because there's no way I'm going to be able to find a tech to do this job and you're just going to upset the customer and blame the Project Coordinator. Pay a fair salary comparable to industry standards. Less micro-managing.

RSS Feed </> Embed