OneSource Building Technologies

Bruce F Davis

Sketchy business practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Don't know of any to list.

Cons

Stay away from this company. Very questionable ethics.

You either have the right values or you don't. No amount of "advice" will change this.

Poor Management skils and poor decency

Current Employee - Technician in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Technician in Savannah, GA

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I can not find one, looks like every employee is under tremendus pressure.

Cons

Managers and Project Coordinators love to hide behind the phone answering system and emails, don't return your phone calls, travel policy is shady, you dont get pay for the first 10 miles, Project coordinator doesn’t advise enough details of the job, compensation is a joke.

Hire people with values and basic personal skills

Nightmare job, terrible management, long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good place to get some Project Coordination/Management experience but I'd suggest getting a PMP certification soon after and you'd have many more opportunities with better earning power elsewhere. Some people liked the Flavia coffee machine. At the time I lived on the NW side of Houston so the location was convenient.

Cons

The Sales staff is constantly over-promising and putting the Operations department into crisis emergency mode. The pay was extremely low, insulting really but in a bad economy I needed the job. No options for career development or advancement. Long hours, no time for lunch breaks, no overtime but you're expected to work past the typical 8-5. I had to constantly deal with 3rd party subcontractors, that I hired for jobs, calling me and asking for their paychecks. I felt bad calling people to work jobs for me because I knew it was likely that they wouldn't be paid. This resulted in the contractors threatening to put liens on the company where my projects took place, which upset my clients.

Have the Sales department communicate with Operations on scheduling before promising the world and last minute emergencies at 5pm that must be completed today because there's no way I'm going to be able to find a tech to do this job and you're just going to upset the customer and blame the Project Coordinator. Pay a fair salary comparable to industry standards. Less micro-managing.

Overworked, Underpaid,Shady Business Practices

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

Plenty of free drinks to keep us caffeinated.

Cons

LOT OF PAPERWORK!!! All the processes require extra paper to slow payment to vendors. Most vendors have terms of 45 days AFTER the ticket is closed. Typical terms are NET 30 from date work is preformed. Vendors call on a daily basis asking for payment. To the point that management will not take the calls and avoid answering.

Have a vendor payment schedule to avoid ambiguity. Reduce paper by eliminating "billing receipts" Have a process for EVERY vendor issue and handle complaints immediately.

The truth

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

- Great coffee machine and continutally replenished stock of free sodas in the fridge to keep you caffeinated during the long work days.
    - Plenty of parking spaces in parking lot.
    - Located in NW suburban area (great for employees with children).
    - Great to get some entry-level project management experience in the IT and telecom industry but move on from this place after 6 to 12 months.

Cons

- Management does not communicate well to staff at all. Senior management is constantly making rash and impulsive decisions, changing operations on a near-daily basis and never fully explaining the reasoning behind such decisions to its staff. Employees are often asked to move from one cubicle/office to another without any explanation. New staff roles and employee flowcharts will be passed around but never implemented because it changes monthly, weekly, even daily. There is absolutely no stability in this environment.
    - Overtime is strongly discouraged yet employees are given workoads that cannot possibly be completed by one person in an 8 hour work day. Lunch break is not in the vocabulary in this office environment. Reluctantly working undocumented overtime is the norm.
    - Management is untrusting of staff. Employees are given laptops and blackberries to monitor their projects at all times yet are not trusted or given the option to telecommute. Also, again, overtime is strongly discouraged.
    - At the time of this review, due to the state of the economy, the company is on a salary freeze. However, management and sales staff are constantly boasting record profit earnings (i.e. their commission) and spending company dollars on "corporate retreats." This does not go unnoticed and further bruises employee morale.
    - Employees are rarely, if ever, praised or recognized for their good work. There is no positive reinforcement system, you will only hear feedback if you made a mistake. Management frequently uses scare tactics and threatening behavior to "encourage" employees to see a project through.

Ease up on the micro-managing and start actively recognizging the worth of your human capital. Your employees should be seen and treated as valuable assets, not incompentent slaves. Instead of threatening employees to work harder and on more projects or be fired, try positive reinforcements and ways to motivate the staff. There needs to be a more effective balance between what Sales Management is offering the client and what Operations can feasibly deliver. Operations Management needs to be trained on how to tactfully get employees to deliver profitable results, but there need to be realistic expectations set. Invest in your human capital by hiring a qualified efficiency expert or Industrial/Organizational Psychologist to fix the problems stated in this review or there is no hope.

Good Company to work with

Current Employee - CMS Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CMS Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work. They try their best to give you competivive benefits and good pay. Management does their best to keep the employees happy. Great 401K program, competivive wages,

Cons

They need to do more for those technicians that work outside of Houston. They are going thru growing pains.

They need to provide training to employees to keep up with the demands of the workplace.

great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

great place to work, relax environment, high tech company.

Cons

music cubicles, 8 hours + daily

Steady

Current Employee - Data Tech
    Current Employee - Data Tech

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

If you do a good job I think it raises your rating, so you get opportunities more regularly. Seems to pay pretty good.

Cons

Compensation is not broken down per job, so it's a mystery sometimes what you are getting for which job. If you ask over the phone what a certain job will pay, they typically don't know that either. Most jobs require some home preparation which I don';t believe you are compensated for. Mileage is paid, but not the time driving. Not a big deal unless the job is far away.

The tech check-in process can sometimes be really tedious. Please either fix that or pay for the time being on hold or answering silly questions.

OneSource BT

Current Employee - Connectivity Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Connectivity Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

Current management is good 2007-Current

Cons

Low compensation for technical market

Recognition and Compensation for acheivements

You couldn't ask for a better place to work

Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay in a diminishing economy. Management actually cares about getting a job well done for the customer & taking care of their employees. New business procedures are created every day to fit our clients needs, and we've become one of the premier providers for major global companies. Great insurance, great atmosphere to work in. If you love sports, this is also the office for you!
    There is always room for growth here, but you have to put in the effort, just like any other job.

Cons

There are no cons. So many people want to complain about the atmosphere and how the operations are ran at this company. My advice is that there are way tougher jobs out there, and you will be expected to push yourself and go 100% no matter where you are employed. They have a business to run, and they are going to make sure you are doing your part. Don't expect to get a free ride on the easy train. They pay you, you don't pay them.

You guys are doing an excellent job - keep up the great work. You've built this company into something from nothing, and that is truly amazing in itself.

OneSource Building Technologies Photos