OneWest Bank

www.owb.com

OneWest Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
OneWest Bank – Austin – “Bevo the Bull at Grand Opening”

OneWest Bank President & CEO Joseph Otting

Joseph Otting

Pros
  • Nice work-life balance, no micromanagment(in 3 reviews)

• Strong upper management with forward thinking vision(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management operates with the idea that they can just hire anybody off the street to do your job(in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is more impressed with themselves than focused on attracting business(in 5 reviews)

Wall street: Let's Play Banker edition

Analyst (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

Pros- Some really good and intelligent people if you're lucky enough to find them who will always give you great advice and look out for you. The life/career lessons I learned from them were the most valuable take away from working here.

Cons- Extreme incompetence at nearly every level. Every bloated department seems to have a handful of people who do 99% of the work while other (often more senior) employees are permitted to run their mouths and play a silly corporate gossip game that makes them feel relevant.

- Pitifully low compensation and with the company being sold at some point in the future, resources are being cut razor thin including your bonus and comp. Inflationary/Merit raises are not a thing here. Promotions will typically involve a paltry 2-3% raise

- Very low morale as a lot of talent was let out the door as a result of a partial sale in 2013. Near zero accountability for shoddy 2-bit work (Austin, TX) which has cultivated a culture of sweeping problems under the rug and a 'shoot the messenger' mentality

- Pervasive attitude being that you are lucky to have a job at all

- Bank ran by wall street folks and an 'inner circle' that enjoys feeling exclusive and insulated, like kids in a treehouse. Hollow brand name with even more vapid "cultural values" that attempt to create a "front".

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive MGMT: I have zero confidence in your ability to run any semblance of a functional bank. Stick to wall street.

Senior MGMT: Appreciate the employees who really add value and stop pushing them to the breaking point on account of those who aren't carrying their weight. OWB is a meat grinder.

Sales of financial opportunities

Business Development (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGood benefits, nice people. Professional

ConsAdvancement opportunities are not readily apparent

Always worried about the next layoff

IT Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSome managers are reasonable and keep their employees shielded from the problems.
    They recently resumed with tiny yearly raises and bonuses

ConsUpper management most concerned with saving every penny at the expense of employees.
    They are trying to get sold, they recently sold an entire division, laid everyone off including some from other divisions.
    They are not maintaining support contracts so employees are constantly dealing with reocurring problems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tons of opportunity in a bank that truly cares about their customers and following the rules!

ProsGreat benefits. Strong upper management with forward thinking vision. The company knows where it wants to go and is heading in the correct direction.

ConsSome situations are handled with more fire-drill type reaction rather than being pro-active. Recent downsizing/switching business focus have left the work environment unstable with high tension.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to ensure the best people are in the job rather than the political choice.

Descent company in the banking industry

Teller Lead (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

Pros-Lots of direct support from your upper management since there is a small staff
    -Training in HQ is always a positive experience
    -Opportunity to move up
    -Lots of interaction with Regionals & VPs
    -Positive enviornment
    -Back Ops team is incredibly patient and helpful

Cons-Standards are sometimes vague and questionable
    -Probably the only bank that does not have evnvelope free ATMs
    -Bonuses should be structed individually instead of being based by branch deposit growth

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Unrealistic Expectations

Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) La Verne, CA

ProsIt was good experience, and the clients were amazing. I enjoyed getting to know many of our customers and developing relationships with them.

ConsOf course all banks push sales of new checking and savings accounts. The branch I worked at had an average of 10-15 customers per day. Most of them were daily customers that owned or managed businesses. Corporate would expect that multiple accounts be opened per day despite the fact that we have very minimal foot traffic. It is hard to convince a customer that already has a checking, savings, and CDs in place that need should open more. Perhaps other branches could have been able to meet their numbers, but with our light traffic it was impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales quotas should be adjusted based on how busy a branch is. A branch that only has 10 customers a day should not be expected open 5 checking accounts.

This place is a JOKE!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt paid better than other companies in the area.

ConsThere are many challengers here starting with no training. The people in my department were a bunch of goof-offs who got paid for walking around gossiping while the ones that were working got nothing more than what the goof-offs got plus they got bonuses too!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a CLUE as to who is REALLY WORKING!

Cheap cheap cheap!

Analyst (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe people are nice and the stress level is minimal as my department is rather lenient and flexible about hours worked and time off as evidenced by the employees who take advantage of working "remotely."

ConsI feel like this place is where you go to die as this company slowly sucks the life out of you for low wages and annual 1% increases. Your silly bonuses don't even bump you up to market. I'm going on my third year as an Analysis with glowing reviews from management with each passing year, yet my annual incentive stayed the same or got worse. Whats the point in trying if the dead weight next to you does nothing as you work so hard and take on more responsibility but still end up with the same incentive? Makes for some bitter employees. As an outsider coming in post FDIC takeover, I witness that the attitudes among the veterans who didn't lose their jobs and tolerating below market pay is that they are just lucky to be working. Give me a break! If you have brains and are hard working, don't waste your time here. They will low ball you and it will be a struggle to move forward. They have high turnover for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother with lengthy self assessments when it's not taken into consideration during annually incentives.

work

Proswork is ethical. Would recommend

Consclients can be exhausting. Really have to elaborate.

Terrible place!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe hourly pay for this company was good.

ConsDon't value good workers!!!! Managers value friends instead. Favoritism is an all-time-high here. Also, some managers are not very knowledgeable in their positions. So some managers will ask for help with department colleagues for answers.

Worked for OneWest Bank? Contribute to the Community!