OneWest Bank Reviews

Updated September 1, 2014
2.7

OneWest Bank President & CEO Joseph Otting
Joseph Otting

Pros
  • Nice work-life balance, no micromanagment (in 3 reviews)

• Strong upper management with forward thinking vision (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management operates with the idea that they can just hire anybody off the street to do your job (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is more impressed with themselves than focused on attracting business (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Always worried about the next layoff

Former Employee - IT Engineer
    Former Employee - IT Engineer

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some managers are reasonable and keep their employees shielded from the problems.
    They recently resumed with tiny yearly raises and bonuses

Cons

Upper management most concerned with saving every penny at the expense of employees.
    They are trying to get sold, they recently sold an entire division, laid everyone off including some from other divisions.
    They are not maintaining support contracts so employees are constantly dealing with reocurring problems.

Descent company in the banking industry

Current Employee - Teller Lead  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Teller Lead in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Lots of direct support from your upper management since there is a small staff
    -Training in HQ is always a positive experience
    -Opportunity to move up
    -Lots of interaction with Regionals & VPs
    -Positive enviornment
    -Back Ops team is incredibly patient and helpful

Cons

-Standards are sometimes vague and questionable
    -Probably the only bank that does not have evnvelope free ATMs
    -Bonuses should be structed individually instead of being based by branch deposit growth

N/A

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I  in  La Verne, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in La Verne, CA

I worked at OneWest Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was good experience, and the clients were amazing. I enjoyed getting to know many of our customers and developing relationships with them.

Cons

Of course all banks push sales of new checking and savings accounts. The branch I worked at had an average of 10-15 customers per day. Most of them were daily customers that owned or managed businesses. Corporate would expect that multiple accounts be opened per day despite the fact that we have very minimal foot traffic. It is hard to convince a customer that already has a checking, savings, and CDs in place that need should open more. Perhaps other branches could have been able to meet their numbers, but with our light traffic it was impossible.

Sales quotas should be adjusted based on how busy a branch is. A branch that only has 10 customers a day should not be expected open 5 checking accounts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place is a JOKE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It paid better than other companies in the area.

Cons

There are many challengers here starting with no training. The people in my department were a bunch of goof-offs who got paid for walking around gossiping while the ones that were working got nothing more than what the goof-offs got plus they got bonuses too!

Get a CLUE as to who is REALLY WORKING!

Cheap cheap cheap!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are nice and the stress level is minimal as my department is rather lenient and flexible about hours worked and time off as evidenced by the employees who take advantage of working "remotely."

Cons

I feel like this place is where you go to die as this company slowly sucks the life out of you for low wages and annual 1% increases. Your silly bonuses don't even bump you up to market. I'm going on my third year as an Analysis with glowing reviews from management with each passing year, yet my annual incentive stayed the same or got worse. Whats the point in trying if the dead weight next to you does nothing as you work so hard and take on more responsibility but still end up with the same incentive? Makes for some bitter employees. As an outsider coming in post FDIC takeover, I witness that the attitudes among the veterans who didn't lose their jobs and tolerating below market pay is that they are just lucky to be working. Give me a break! If you have brains and are hard working, don't waste your time here. They will low ball you and it will be a struggle to move forward. They have high turnover for a reason.

Why bother with lengthy self assessments when it's not taken into consideration during annually incentives.

Terrible place!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The hourly pay for this company was good.

Cons

Don't value good workers!!!! Managers value friends instead. Favoritism is an all-time-high here. Also, some managers are not very knowledgeable in their positions. So some managers will ask for help with department colleagues for answers.

work

I have been working at OneWest Bank

Pros

work is ethical. Would recommend

Cons

clients can be exhausting. Really have to elaborate.

company sold...

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my job, and most of the management as well. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

As other reviewers stated, there was a lot of favoritism. The biggest "con" is that the company sold their loans, and reverted to outsourcing. This led to a company wide lay off, which was very disappointing.

Not much to give, as only a few managers left until the finalization of the lay offs. Previously, I would have suggested to offer more training to the customer service reps, and further training to most managers. A lot of them depended on tenured employees for answers.

What company?

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

not a bad job if you can handle the stress of dealing with grumpy customers on the phone. Plan on getting yelled at for the poor policies of the company and the poor service of back end departments that don't speak to the customers. The pay was very competitive, especially if you earned high bonuses.

Cons

Mortgage servicing department reduced from several hundred to maybe a dozen employees with no warning. Dishonest to employees and customers alike.

We get that you have to be careful with how information is released but it is better to say nothing at all then to tell blatant lies. Telling us our jobs are secure for years to come one day and then laying us off the next is the ultimate betrayal.

Customer Service Rep/Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

At first, this company was great to work for. Family friendly, great atmosphere and very fast paced.

Cons

The company was not forthright with employees at the end of employment.

Be honest

OneWest Bank Photos

Bevo the Bull at Grand Opening

+ Add Photo

Worked for OneWest Bank? Contribute to the Community!