Oneupweb Reviews

2.3

Lisa Wehr

Top notch digital marketing, bottom shelf treatment.

I worked at Oneupweb full-time

Pros

- Excellent learning resource.
         Oneupweb is good at what they do, and they have a lot intelligent tools and people.

- Experience.
        You'll get your hands on many styles of work, and the daily grind will always differ and keep you on your toes

-People.
         The majority of the people really are caring and wonderful, notably the kind and helpful Human Resources department, despite their inability to overrule top level dictations. Managers also want to help you succeed, though there is an underlying "testing/teaching" method as opposed to the feel from within a regular professional organization.

-Office.
         The office overlooks the bay, and it houses beautiful full kitchens and decor.

Cons

- Environment.
         If you loved preschool, you will love Oneupweb. If you want to be reprimanded and live in fear of basic tasks like checking your personal email, responding to a text message, or having a normal conversation with your co-workers, you're in luck. You must be early to be on time, you receive an abysmal number of days off, a short lunch and a mandated break (I repeat, preschool), and Fridays off in the summer are more than made up for by extra long days the rest of the week. Which, although those hours are added up against you meticulously, do not expect to be rewarded for early/late training sessions.

- Responsibility.
         You will be responsible for executing outstanding work, but you will not feel that you are challenged or have any responsibility, as management will micromanage everything and constantly look over your shoulder.

- Trust
         You will get the distinct impression that the CEO is waiting for the other shoe to drop, for you to horrifically fail, lie, or quit.

- Respect
         Respect for your superiors is absolutely demanded, but don't expect much in return. There is nothing stopping from you being publicly reprimanded (i.e. cussed at). (This did not happen to me, though I witnessed it occur several times)

There are far worse places to work than Oneupweb. If you are extremely work oriented and enjoy regulation and working under authority, you will enjoy working here. They truly are intelligent and house several caring leaders. If you are looking to develop skills quickly, you will find them here. However, I would not recommend employment at this company to a friend, despite admiring their work. In fact, I feel it somewhat necessary to discourage it.

Treat your employees like people, not like students. Give them challenges and control. Treat them with the same respect you demand of them. Your company could be unstoppable if only you viewed employees as trusted, necessary elements to success.

Great Experience and Great Opportunity (If You're Motivated)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Oneupweb full-time for more than a year

Pros

First, the obvious: Oneupweb provides an opportunity to do some pretty exciting work with nationally recognized brands - all from a beautiful location on the water in Traverse City. So there's that. The people here are generally great, too: kind, intelligent, hard-working and frequently inspiring. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new every day if you want to.

More importantly, there's a lot of opportunity to grow and develop within your chosen discipline, but you have to be self-motivated. In my experience, company leadership has proven itself willing to help employees get where they want to go - you just need to take the initiative.

Agency work is fast-paced and exciting, but it can be stressful. Client dynamics and tight deadlines can present significant challenges. Yet every time I've found myself in a particularly challenging situation, upper management has had my back - without exception. The kind of support I've received from my superiors in dealing with complex issues has truly been second-to-none.

In the few short years I've been working here, I've also been encouraged by efforts to improve client services and motivate employee performance. Recent developments represent a definite step in the right direction, including regular profit-sharing, a move toward more cohesive account teams, and better training across the board.

Cons

Vacation the first year is extremely limited. And though the company makes a strong effort to preserve a healthy work-life balance (most people rarely work past 5pm or on weekends), the extent to which the workday schedule is regulated can be both challenging.

I would encourage management to find ways to offer more freedom and flexibility - especially in a high-stress industry that lives on creativity, both are key to keeping employees fresh and motivated.

The abuse isn't worth it. Pride and power trips cloud business decisions and hinder real growth.

I worked at Oneupweb full-time

Pros

Having every other Friday off in the summer was nice, and there are some very talented people who have the potential for greater success currently working there.

Cons

I assure you - this post about Oneupweb comes not out of spite, bitterness, anger, or from someone who "just couldn't handle the fast paced, high intensity environment." It comes from the humble heart of someone who hoped for the best, longed for career stability, and unfortunately didn't take the time to find these reviews before accepting a job offer. This is written solely for the people who have the opportunity to avoid working here.
    Working at Oneupweb was like being in an abusive relationship. Constantly spoken (yelled would be more accurate) down to, berated in front of peers, micromanaged to the point of suffocation, and an overwhelmingly deep distrust in people are the reality you'd be walking into. The job openings aren't due to company growth - they're due to people not being there anymore for the reasons listed above.
    Oneupweb claiming that people have to be self-sufficient and determined in order to "make it" is a cop-out for the lack of proper training and supportive environment. You call it a sink or swim environment, I call it unprofessional and disheartening when you have no intentions of allowing anyone to actually swim. Not even an Olympic gold medal swimmer would be able to navigate the perfect storm-like conditions you create.
    If you're thinking of applying or interviewing at Oneupweb - don't. It's not worth it. You deserve to be at a company that appreciates you, nurtures you, wants you to succeed, and will be selfless in order to help you grow. Trust the reviews. Trust those who have been there. We aren't bitter, we aren't filled with hate or stuck in the past - we just don't want you to waste your talents somewhere you won't truly be appreciated. You deserve to be respected - relentlessly.

Swallow your over-inflated pride and let those who have talents that you lack actually make some decisions for the betterment of your clients and employees. Or just keep it doing the same things you've always done. I'm sure you'll get different results. What did Einstein know anyhow, right?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abusive Environment

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Oneupweb full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office is well decorated. The company invested a great deal in the decor. Also, many of the staff members were nice, if they choose to stick around.

Cons

Very deceptive. You're lured in with a lot of promise, but then you discover the abusive truth. Staff are often humiliated before their peers, which makes everyone uncomfortable and paranoid.

Work on professionalism.

Okay Career Opportunities, Poor Working Environment

I worked at Oneupweb full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a tremendous amount when I worked here, having been only a beginner when I was hired. If you are curious and want to learn, the opportunity is there for you - or it least, it was when I worked there. Great for building skills and pumping up your resume. Another pro is the swank remodeled office building and location in beautiful Traverse City Michigan.

Cons

The turnover rate of this company can speak for itself. It's unusually large. Most locals already know what's up, but If you are considering moving from an outside city to work here, I encourage you to do your research and get in touch with TC residents so you can learn more. Be prepared to deal with senior management that micromanages every aspect of your job performance, from scheduled lunch breaks to requests for doctors notes. Salaries are extremely low compared to industry standards, and vacation/sick time is limited during your first year(s). Finally, the general office atmosphere culture and environment is decidedly unfun and paranoid - at least, that was my personal experience during the 2+ years I was there before I finally quit.

Your employees are parched and need watering. Provide more work/life flexibility and better job benefits for your staff, and look forward to the dedicated loyalty and increased productivity you can enjoy from this!

My experience at Oneupweb was somewhat disappointing.

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Oneupweb

Pros

Companies need this type of service and if there were some changes at the corporate culture level this company could do better. Some great people work at one up web.

Cons

The company tries to portray a 'cool' image, but the day to day reality is more of a production shop. The overall leadership is not really experienced. There is an element of distrust in general.

You really need to an honest open trusting culture. How you get there I'm not sure.

Management Issues Outweigh Perks

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Oneupweb

Pros

Intelligent and creative co-workers, and the company was willing to train inexperienced new hires in industry basics and far beyond - very marketable skills. The work is interesting, fast-paced and creative. The office is bright, open and modern - no dingy, grey cubes or musty offices.

In moving to a much smaller area, I was happy to find a group of friends with my co-workers. That made work more enjoyable and made professional collaborations much more effective. You don't have to like your co-workers to do good work, but I can say in this case that my work was much better for it. I learned a great deal both on and off the clock and found most were willing to help, share and teach.

Additionally, casual dress and modified summer hours can be a bonus. The medical package is also much better than typical for this area and in this general paygrade.

Cons

High turnover causes constant uneasiness in staff. Unprofessional behavior from the CEO (profanities and intimidating language/behavior used both in group and private meetings) is a shock to those who come from professional and respectful work/school environments. Work schedule/PTO was not flexible (in my experience and in stated policy) for a typical, single adult - medical appointments were regularly denied, doctor's notes were periodically required when using earned PTO in accordance with policy (notice given, time available).

Professionalism is key. Creating a casual work environment cannot be at the expense of appropriate boundaries. Things can be greatly improved by using the negative feelings of employees as a resource for ways you can improve rather than grounds for termination.

This place rocks!

Current Employee - SEO Yo!  in  Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - SEO Yo! in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Oneupweb

Pros

What can I say? This place is an amazing business to work for!

The people here at Oneupweb (including the CEO) are some of the most driven, alive, diverse and completely awesome people I have ever met in my life. The creativity that flows through this joint on a daily basis is unlike anything I have ever seen.

One of the very best things about Oneupweb is its constant support of the community. From the TCFF to local band programs, Pete's Place to TART and beyond, my philanthropic side is quite satiated here. The incentives for volunteering with MANY worthy local causes in exchange for PTO is one of the many things that makes me proud to be a Oneupwebber.

Extra-curriculars are sweet here as well! Game days in the colder months, cookouts in the summer, random fun sprinkled in here and there, chances to meet some of the biggest names in varied industries, event attending, holiday parties and more. Oneupweb is certainly a step above many other companies in the area and state.

Pay and benefits are some of the best in Michigan. When compared with the cost of living here in TC and its surrounding areas, Oneupweb provides a lifestyle that is outstanding!

The work here is tough! We have a massive client load, each of them expecting greatness. I thoroughly enjoy dishing out that greatness on a daily basis. I am part of the SEO team here at Oneupweb, so I have a lot of interaction with our clients. It is extremely satisfying to get on the phone with some of these folks and hear about how they've never seen the numbers as high as they're seeing them now.

Basically, I, as an individual, have always been driven to be the best that I can be, no matter where I am or what I am doing. Working here at Oneupweb follows that belief quite well! Being part of a local, TC company that routinely beats out the huge New York/Chicago/LA marketing giants is amazing for my competitive streak and giving back to people in need does wonders for my need to pass around the blessings that I have received in this freaking awesome life that I live!

Cons

I have found there to be a lot of vitriol spilling out of people's mouths for Oneupweb. I do not know where it comes from or for what company these people worked for in the past, but it certainly was not this company that I now work for. I would not doubt that this post's comment section will soon be filled with anti-Oneupweb talking points quite soon.

Know that Oneupweb is NOT for everyone. People here in TC and the surrounding areas need to understand that this is a company competing on a nationwide scale. That demand and workload has been too much for some to bear. My advice is to go into your interview with Oneupweb with a full set of intelligent questions and comments.

As far as a specific negative about my actual job at Oneupweb I would have to say that, at times, when other companies choose to have thousands of branches and/or locations, this can create quite a headache. But, then again, once the work is done and the results begin to pour in, it all becomes worth it as non-believers see numbers the likes of which they have never seen before. Again, the struggle of excellence. It doesn't just fall into your lap.

Keep the fun in Oneupweb! Keep the TC lifestyle at the heart of all we do! We're not some huge, corporate New York house full of paycheck monkeys. This business is booming and it is thanks in large part to our "life is for the living" attitude. Love it!

Very deceptive company, DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Oneupweb

Pros

Traverse City, Michigan (where oneupweb is located) is an amazing city with a lot of local foods, support, and activities. The oneupweb building is beautiful, but if you work there know that's why its not in your paycheck... The herman miller furniture is great and as the other review said the drip coffee is good. But any good employer would want their employees caffeinated.

Cons

Like many unsuspecting new hires, I thought OneUpWeb was something it is not. I read all the details online about how exciting and fun it is to work at OneUpWeb. However it was totally different working there. Every day feels like you are a child being ruled by the CEO. Each morning starts at 8am but you are penalized if you are not there before the CEO pulls into the parking lot. So that means 7:45 is usually when you have to be there. Then there is a lunch break from 12:30-1 then "recess" at 3:15-3:45. There is no room for personal time within that space either. Meaning you cannot make personal phone calls even in emergencies (you are required to go to the HR managers office to make a phone call, while she listens in) and you are not allowed to check your personal email, or even bring your personal cell phone into the building. Like I said not exactly the fun place it was advertised as...

My hope is that if you are reading this you are seriously considering all the reviews of past employees. Read all the reviews before the OneUpWeb PR department tries to take them down.

DO NOT WORK HERE

There is a life once you leave OneUpWeb, and there is a strong support community of past employees who are ready to help you get a new job.

Great opportunity for personal and professional growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Oneupweb

Pros

The location is top notch (Traverse City is beautiful). Co-workers are fun and awesome to be around. I highly respect the way the company is run, both by the CEO and Senior Management.

In past jobs rarely have I had a boss that I respect as much as I do the Director of Marketing and Sales. She knows what she is doing and doesn't sugarcoat things. She is very professional but at the same time tries to get to know you as a person. Most importantly she gives credit where it's due and doesn't put up with bull-crap.

While the CEO can be intimidating at first, after a while you get used to her blunt nature and even learn to enjoy it. It definitely makes projects get completed quicker and work run smoother when all the drama is cut out of the day. She runs her company like she should without emotion and with a great business head.

Is it hard to work there? Heck yeah it is. You are challenged everyday with quick turnarounds and hard deadlines, but if you are up to the challenge and living up to your professional best this place is definitely for you.

Do I think it's perfect? No, but I'm proud to say I got the opportunity to work there and meet the people I did. Would I still be there if I hadn't relocated across country? MOST DEFINITELY!!!

Cons

Lower level management needs to learn to manage better.

The pay was below industry standard for my position.

COFFEE!!! Every other day there is a problem going on with coffee. There is not enough coffee made. There is too much coffee made. The coffee pots are burning. The coffee is too strong or it's too weak. Just bring your own coffee if you work there, it's easier for everyone involved (and I don't even drink coffee). That was the only "drama" I ever saw while I worked there.

Keep up the good work!!! I enjoyed my time there and learned so much because of you. Thanks for always going out of your way to help and listen to me!

Make sure that lower level managers have the same management style as you because it can be frustrating and stressful to have two managers telling you two different things.

Worked for Oneupweb? Contribute to the Community!