Onewire Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Skiddy von Stade

Huge 180 -- Sky is the limit....

Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Product Management in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is heading in the right direction after a big leadership shake-up and refocusing on a new strategy in 2012. Management has a plan and it is actually working -- more user engagement, higher acquisition rates, and nearly doubling revenue.

Product has been rebuilt from the ground up in the last year making it easier to use and better positioned for the marketplace. Exclusive video content series and addition of an internal, boutique recruiting firm are driving buzz and showcase the reach/access the company has.

You finally get the sense that management values their employees and sees them as a key to success. Huge departure from the old guard's mentality and is paying off in much improved morale.

Cons

It's a small company setting and not for everyone. Benefits are limited due to size/ negotiating power but they try to make up for it with bonus days off, parties, etc.

Continue carving out your niche, innovating, and building a healthy business. Don't get caught up on "world domination" ever again.

Interesting work but less pay rate and very stressfull

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire full-time

Pros

The work was with advanced technologies and learned a lot with a good team.

Cons

Overall for Employee career opportunities, there was no any way to go ahead and Benefits are also was not that much attractive.

It was a pleasure working here!

Current Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Onewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I found the projects I worked on to be really interesting. When tasked with a project we were given the green light to use many of the newer technologies available. For a tech person, you can't ask for more than that. I found the folks there to be incredibly supportive. I made some excellent friends in my two years there. I found my manager as well as senior management to be very approachable. My time there was well spent-- I only hope I learn as much at my next job.

Cons

Hey.. it's not google.... I mean maybe they could use an espresso machine. A 401K plan would be nice.

Keep the items in the product pipeline as simple as possible. Complicated features need to be broken down into simpler ones, and tested out as soon as possible.

Great environment at a promising company...

Former Employee - Taxonomy/Data Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Taxonomy/Data Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, strong talent with good creativity, laid-back, fun office environment, management moving in the right direction. Potential for employees to have an impact is strong.

Cons

More capital would alleviate employees fears but other than that, none.

Keep improving the product like you have been...I predict great things if you continue on the path you're on!

Good ideas and concepts, inconsistent management and constant reshuffling of plans

Former Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Many co-workers get together and have drinks/food years after leaving the firm. Some of the ideas that the company has are quite interesting and have value. A lot of exceptionally bright people on tech and sales side.

Cons

The management was CONSTANTLY reshuffling the direction of the company. In 2 years, the company restated their purpose at least 5 times. Always in the same rough direction. It's wants to be a tech solution and a new concept in recruiting, but really it's a recruiting company with a slightly different database.

Find a course you believe and stay with it for more than 6 months

A step in the right direction

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very helpful sales training and management for an entry level sales position
    Has a blend of different salesman to learn from and help develop basic sales skills
    New and interesting start up environment
    Great location right in midtown

Cons

Management needed to be more unified, clear and focused with deadlines as far as sales quotas/product developments and updates, and direction of company goals
    Each employee should be able to give more input as far as direction of the company goals in order to feel more ownership in the firm
    At the same time employees needed to be more accountable for not fulfilling goals set by management and by themselves

Keep after it. The concept is there its just a matter of meshing the management styles and providing incentives for employees to work harder.

A lot worse than normal .com insanity - enough to drive you crazy

Former Employee - I T in New York, NY
    Former Employee - I T in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire

Pros

The company is extremely good to their employees, and treats everyone with a high level of regard. CTO is a good guy, would work with him again. Apart from lack of business ability..you can't fault them. they also pay competitively, unless you're entry level, where I hear it's McDonald's type wages.

Cons

First, the management doesn't have the slightest idea about/that:

a) what the competition is doing
    b) where the company is going
    c) what the industry is doing
    d) the fact that the site doesn't work; the technology is fundamentally broken - do any customers like OneWire?!
    e) departments are extremely segregated - I mean, nobody wants to talk to sales or admins, but they're totally hidden in the geography of the company.
    f) every non-technical group seems to be made up of elitist hedge fund type people, not really typical laid-back startup culture. [Actually, mgmt probably does know about this point since they hired those people!]

there's also a feeling that you can't speak your mind - feedback that isn't "OMG I love this new feature" is not welcome.

not a great place to work every day - too much uncertainty despite their insane funding from very rich people that don't know any better.

this isn't intended in a mean way - they're extremely nice people, but I'm really glad I'm not there any longer - a new position has allowed me visibility into even more of the challenges of working there.

Do your due dilligence if you're going to work there, and find a way to learn more about the company.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, actually take the time to understand your competitors, and stop saying "(any competitor) is DEAD."

Not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire

Pros

good group of people in sales and account management

Cons

President is behind the curve

A really wacky environment

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Onewire

Pros

Extremely well-funded start-up company, fun, young culture, very good benefits and relaxed work environment. The management people are all extremely nice and treat everyone with respect. The management will spend money on things that are working

Cons

The management is completely incompetent, you have people all over the company that are totally miscast, every time you talk to management you get the sense they've never seen any of the competition. Result is as a sales person: your getting off-the-wall sales targets, bad training, and unfortunately a bad product that simply is not competitive

Need to become more focused company, instead of developing a good ppt presentation, you need to develop a good product and find a niche

OneWire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Onewire

Pros

The compensation is very adequate

Cons

The Startup environment is challenging

Less micromanaging in regard to day activity. Need a buffer between sales and executive management. More resources devoted to marketing.