Onlife Health Reviews

Danny Timblin
1 Rating

1. Incredible Future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Onlife Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for a while and, honestly, they had trouble under past CEOs, but the company has drastically changed over the last 6-8 months for the better. The new CEO and the current leadership team have dramatically turned the company around and gotten rid of the personnel that was dragging the company down. I'm extremely confident that the company is in the midst of a growth phase and is going to be expanding by leaps and bounds over the next few years.

My reasons for leaving were purely based on increasing the scope of my expertise and if I was able to gain those skills at Onlife I would have, but they just aren't in the CPG industry.

The IT development is churning there now and they're seeing the innovation needed to heavily compete in a rapidly growing market. They're also being labeled as a disrupter so their outlook seems extremely bright.

Cons

The company still has some legacy issues they are working through that are the result of prior IT management and their are silos that are being broken down.

For me they aren't a CPG company so that was a con for me, but I knew it was a services company when I went there.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep working on breaking down silos and innovation and you'll see the fruits of your labor soon. Your employees are experts in what they do. Continue to trust them and invest in their growth.

2. Not for the long haul

I worked at Onlife Health

Pros

Health Benefits
    Tuition reimbursement
    Comfortable for short term needs

Cons

Non competitive pay
    Departments work in silos & dont respect each other's opinions
    Cliquey
    Little focus on quality
    Large pay gaps between departments
    Has great values but doesn't hire culture fits so message diluted

Advice to Management

Move towards a more collaborative and transparent work environment

No future

I worked at Onlife Health full-time

Pros

Great parking, beautiful flower beds, office has good lighting with exceptional views, TVs (mostly working) are everywhere in the office so one can briefly escape the madness. Free coffee is available as well.

Cons

The blame game continues. This is been the problem at Onlife from day one. Unfortunately, the wellness market has flown by Onlife. The new mobile apps and cheaper, more robust, health tracking services in the industry will be the end for Onlife as they can't keep up with emerging technology. Management could never get it together, and they still have the same issues. I cant entirely blame local management as support from the mothership has been less than ideal by playing the CEO flip game on a 2 year average since company's existence. Also, getting a promotion at Onlife is like winning the lottery.

Advice to Management

Run, sell, bail, and make it fast before the current talent (whats left) catches on and leaves you high and dry. With all the current layoffs and not backfilling positions, its painfully obvious money is an issue, especially with the company having a zero growth rate. And please, stop creating your own positive views to improve your rating, its pathetic.

if you want a career, don

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Onlife Health

Pros

health benefits are pretty good

Cons

Blue Cross has no business trying to run a for profit company. Inept senior leadership with no regard for people, especially in finance in Chattanooga. When the going gets tough, they won't look in the mirror, which is where the problem really lies. No legitimate support at the mothership where passive aggressive behavior is the rule of the day. Blue Cross sales leaders undermine Onlife behind closed doors. Executives talk about each other like high school teens.

Advice to Management

sell the company so employees can work for people who actually care about the company and its people

6. Systems Administrator

I have been working at Onlife Health full-time

Pros

Health Insurance, Fitness Center on-site

Cons

No comment to impart here

Truly like where things are headed

I have been working at Onlife Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New leadership team, work life balance, quick, smart decision making, traditional IT problems no longer

Cons

None at this time, couldn't say that a few months ago, most cons with IT slowing down the business have been cleaned up

Advice to Management

Love the vision and transparent communication style starting with the CEO, new leadership team is refreshing...it's go time

Hardworking individuals with the potential for great collective success

I have been working at Onlife Health

Pros

Above all else, I enjoyed most the people I was with on a day in and day out basis. They are what made coming to work each and every a genuine pleasure. My experience gave me the opportunity to see firsthand a variety of changes including senior leadership, restructuring, and outside partnerships and vendor relationships. My opinion is that company is now headed in the right direction. There are highly motivated people in leadership roles who are determined to succeed, all while maintaining the strongest core values and employee well being.

Cons

Onlife continues to go through much needed change to get the ship moving at its most efficient level. It is a hard time to be at a company of only 150 people while people continue to come and go. However, I feel it is only necessary and comes from the best intentions from those faced with making those tough decisions. These challenges will only result in the best rising to the top, reinforcing the team-like culture inside the company.

Advice to Management

The world is full of backseat drivers, second guessers, and coaches from this side of the television. When put in management roles, I feel these same people criticizing would struggle to handle change with the same poise that this management team has done. Tough decisions made with integrity will often times lead to positive results in due time.

Great People, Great Mission, Tough Business

Former Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Onlife Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great culture, great people, loved the mission of helping people live healthier lives.
    -Onsite gym, showers. Wellness focused environment created energy throughout the company.
    -Great communication from leadership, starting with the CEO.
    -Excellent benefits
    -One of the best places I have worked due to people, mission, structured business processes.

Cons

-Product Development and Technical Solutions were a constant problem. The UI/UX of marketing website and web application had not been updated for almost 5 years. New products consistently experienced a failure to launch. Product and Software Dev usually came up with reasons why things couldn't be done, rather than how they could be accomplished. Time to market was slow, at best. All this gravely affected Marketing and Sales, and resulted in constant attention focused toward managing client relationships, rather than growing business.
    -Owned by BCBS of TN. Good for benefits, stability, business process/support. Bad for strategic leadership of parent company (non-profit focused on keeping business, not expanding. Regional mindset.) Onlife strategy constantly steered by BCBS needs instead of market forces.
    -Wellness industry changing rapidly. Industry-wide difficulty to prove financial impact of services.

Advice to Management

Many attributes for a great company are present, but a lack of competitive products is holding the company back. A research or scientific-based wellness philosophy would create an identity for the company and guide product development. Updates to current solutions and development of new products needs to be streamlined and iterative.

Tons of Potential - Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Onlife Health

Pros

Open communication environment that allows people who are willing to work as a team to be successful. You will receive one of the best benefits packages in the state, access to training and an onsite fitness center. The recent changes inside the company have eliminated many of the barriers and challenges that had existed in the past.

Cons

If you are not committed to working in a team environment you will not find Onlife Health very enjoyable. Onlife Health is a small company so you will have to perform multiple duties. If you are person who cannot multi-task this will also be a challenge. Lastly if you are not passionate about health and wellness then Onlife Health is not for you.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, make the necessary changes and be open with your communication. The company is heading in the right direction.

Incompetence masked by deep pockets

Former Employee - Developer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Developer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Onlife Health

Pros

They have incredibly deep pockets by being owned by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee. This allows the leadership to make one bad decision after another without risk of going out of business. It's almost impossible to get fired because of the BCBST HR bureaucracy. The combination of these things makes this a great place to hide out and do nothing. They have mostly staffed the company with Onlifers that embrace that culture. Work/life balance is great because the expectations are so low. Many of the employees do not even work 40 hours and even when they are in the office, they spend a fair amount of time surfing YouTube and Facebook. They will overpay you and provide outstanding benefits, so if you can survive in a world of mediocrity, you could probably suffer through it for a while.

Cons

If you have dreams of improving things, building a product that more than 1% of the targeted user base will use, or working with people that will challenge you to be your best, this is not for you. The entire leadership changed 3 times in the past 3 years, because BCBST is incapable of identifying talent. There are strong political forces and cronyism to ensure the status quo. A manager was once quoted as saying "I don't like to hire A players. A team only needs one quarterback." Back-stabbing and blame must be taught in the manager training courses, because it is rampant. The CEO has repeatedly announced to the remaining employees that IT is to blame for all the company's failings, even though IT isn't the group responsible for the complete lack of innovation and copy-cat mentality of the product vision. The latest leadership group has been using propaganda to counter all the negative publicity they are receiving.

Advice to Management

It's hard to provide advice to tone-deaf leadership. They might consider changing the logo of the continuous circle. It appears to be encouraging the executives to repeat the same mistakes. The good news is that if history is any indication, this leadership team will be gone in a year, and a new group of under-qualified, arrogant leaders will take their place.

RSS Feed </> Embed