Online Buddies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Adam Segel

1. Hands down the best work experience I have ever been a part of!!!! :)

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Online Buddies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for Online Buddies. I have worked for a few different companies and have never had such a positive experience as I do currently working for OLB. I commute a minimum of one hour each way with no traffic (72 miles one way) and don't mind because I like my job so much. The people I work with are nice. My co workers genuinely work together to resolve issues, and management it ALWAYS fair. It sometimes seems that it takes them a while to present a resolution to work place issues, but in the end the results are always as fair as possible for everyone involved. We have crazy awesome little perks that also make our positions more fun and enjoyable.. such as free vending machines

Cons

Getting to the office? Did I mention my commute? hehe, Office Space is a lot cheaper on the Cape, just saying!! :) No but seriously, cons that the business could control, maybe just better office lighting? The florescent lighting does nothing for me. Maybe a better parking situation? Honestly I have dealt with that for six years now, and it doesn't bother me.... but I had to put a con in the box to fill the survey

Advice to Management

I am of the type that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Same holds true on my thoughts for management. I am happy with our companies progressive, forward thinking. I can't be of much help on the advice section. I am content.

2. Not as fun as you think it would be.

I worked at Online Buddies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and casual environment.

Cons

Toxic management that will suck out your soul.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the talent you have.

3. Good folks but dysfunctional management

I worked at Online Buddies full-time

Pros

Has at times had a queer majority employee base, with straight folks as the token minorities. The kind of humor and atmosphere has resulted in a culture that you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere. Engineering is (unusually) pretty good about not working more than 40 hours most of the time. Systems (aka operations) ... not so much.

Cons

Dysfunctional owners result in constantly shifting management goals, so no amount of effort from management can shield the technical staff. Major goals change monthly, if not weekly, projects go from "eh, when you get a chance" to "top priority" but no new resources are allocated. All in all, it's just very poorly run. The fact that annual bonuses are: A) meager and B) at the whim of the owners, means that if their profit didn't meet whatever arbitrary goal they set, they'll halve or more the annual bonuses, despite the staff receiving them literally having no control over the outcome. Company lore includes tales of even more egregious actions.

Advice to Management

Fire the owners? Negotiate a sale to someone less broken? At least, stop doing what amount to quarterly reports every week. Erect a chinese wall between the owners and the company.

5. Nice place

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Online Buddies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and warm. Nice benefits. Casual.

Cons

For a gay company it is a bit conservative in thinking. Truly in the box when it comes to new ideas. Play it safe - which is fine for sex but not for expanding a business.

Advice to Management

Be creative.

6. Disorganized, but fun

I worked at Online Buddies full-time

Pros

Fun culture & totally unique. Ribald and occasionally raunchy and it's even appropriate. The right person can have a lot of power to do their job well.

Cons

The wrong person however, will suffer from endless changes of plans, shortsighted management, and generally be frustrated.

Advice to Management

Look into the future. A whole year. Stop optimizing for next week's numbers.

7. Decent Company

I worked at Online Buddies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company benefits and friendly environment to work in. Get to work with all levels of management.

Cons

Not too much to say here, pretty much a good company. Had a decent experience working with them.

8. Fun and friendly environment!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Online Buddies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, casual atmosphere, fun place to work!

Cons

Top down communication could be improved some.

Great, fun company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Online Buddies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a cool atmosphere and is fun to work for. They are good to their employees, offer generous benefits and other perks like free food and drinks and catered lunches. Like anyplace else, it's work, so it's not always amazing and sometimes my manager lacks vision but I've worked at a bunch of places and it's no different anywhere else.

Cons

Well it's gay and adult oriented so it's sometimes a challenge to tell friends what I do. My gay friends have all heard of the company and think it's cool that I work there but with my straight friends, and my parents, and such, it's a little tougher to explain. The owners aren't that involved but they do come in the office and they can be really offensive. They make some racist comments and talk openly about really personal sex stuff in front of everyone. But for the most part upper management keeps the owners away from us. If they were here every day it'd be a really different, bad thing.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees - we interact with the customers more than you do. Tell us what's going on and what the future plans are more regularly.

10. When things are good - it's a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Good work/life balance, fairly competitive pay. Good benefits. Low stress working environment most of the time. Decent opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Lots of secret meetings. Significant turnover of senior management. Content of the company's websites can make for some interesting conversations.

Advice to Management

Seek more outside help in improving the business, both from a revenue standpoint and in making it a good place to work.

11. We're an exciting, innovative technology company that continues to be on the bleeding edge of web software development.

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Our company is a fun and creative environment, with outstanding opportunity for personal growth within the company. We offer very competitive salaries and a fantastic benefits package. Our headcount stays between 90 - 100 employees, so every voice is heard. Our corporate culture is one of our strongest attributes. We're privately held, profitable, and have seen our revenue increase year over year since inception. Our benefits package has also continued to improve year over year.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing organization, employees strive for information and management sometimes does not communicate enough. This has been brought up during several all staff assemblies and management has already begun to make changes.

Advice to Management

I can't think of any input or advice. Management is very receptive to the needs of their employees and strives to make this a company people want to come to everyday.

RSS Feed </> Embed