Online Business Systems

Online Business Systems Reviews

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
4.6

Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen

Great Company, Great People!

Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are very friendly, great to work with, and know their stuff!
    - Salary seems to be consistent with the local market, if not a bit higher
    - Flexibility to try new tracks and learn new skills
    - Flexibility in working hours and location
    - Leadership cares about the employees, their families, and career trajectories

Cons

- Working at client sites can make you feel a bit disconnected
    - Office locations generally downtown, so commute can wear on you (not much to do about that)
    - Small company that everyone loves (and few leave), so opportunities to move up in the leadership chain can be limited (a con for some, but only as a result of a positive company)

- Keep up the good work!
    - Ensure you're looking internally to develop staff into new leaders
    - Provide pathways not just to new levels of consulting, but also pathways to leadership positions/opportunities.

Great colleagues and good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Online Business Systems has a knack for attracting motivated and smart professionals that are a pleasure to work with - at each of our geographical locations. There is a strong culture of collaboration and work ethics, making sure we deliver high quality work for our clients. It is a small enough company for management to have a good connection with each of the consultants, while it is big enough to have a solid infrastructure in place for pay roll, helpdesk, HR, mentor program etc.
    There is a lot of room for personal growth. Consultants are encouraged to expand their knowledge and experience and each consultant has a personal development budget - time and money to spend on training and books.

Cons

The type of projects you will be involved with can vary largely - depending on when you become available and what projects are coming up. On one hand, this makes the work interesting as you will becoming familiar with different types of companies, likely in varying roles but its possible that for a while you might be working on a type of project that is not your first choice.

I still love working working here

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Online for a number of years and never thought I'd be here for more than 5 years when I started. It's the people, the culture and the ability to make a difference that have kept me here. I had worked for larger corporations previously which had a lot of hierarchy, red tape and bureaucracy. I thought all companies were like that until I got here. I love the fact that people really care about each other and try to help one another. I love the fact that the executive team cares about people and takes the time to connect with Onliners across all regions and practices. I love the fact that although we have processes in place, we still do the right thing when it makes sense. I could go on but you get the picture. Online was the perfect fit for me and has provided a gratifying career.. It has allowed me to grow and has supported me along the way.

Cons

If someone likes a lot of structure and doesn't like change, then this may not be the right environment for them. Onliners are typically able to think on their feet and make good decisions as opposed to following a "how to" rule book. Onliners are also looking for new ways to stretch themselves by being receptive to new client assignments and open to learning new technologies. Days are not always predictable and in my world that is a good thing. It never gets boring.

Thanks for caring about the people who work here. Continue to look for ways that help us attract and keep good people. Great work!

Good company, Great people

Former Employee - ADF Consultant
    Former Employee - ADF Consultant

I worked at Online Business Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with great people who have a passion for what they do and are always willing to share information. Also the work was engaging and exciting and I was always kept busy.

Other positives: The professional development is good, Really nice people to work with, The culture within online is unique

Cons

Remote work is really a challenging thing to get right and sometimes you feel disconnected from the group. Also it is small organization.

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. We know that without great people who have a real passion for what they do, we would not be successful. We look for passion and cultural fit in ... More

A long-term Onliner who has grown with the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a strong culture and philosophy around balancing the interests of Clients, Online and Onliners. The company has real history, and leadership includes founders and early employees, and leaders care and inspire loyalty. There is high employee satisfaction, very low turnover and many Online veterans have literally decades of service and experience. The organization is relatively flat and has the feeling of a smaller, more entrepreneurial company - the organization actively tries new things and learns from experience. There is a strong commitment to, and investment in, individual professional growth and career mentoring. There is a high bar and a high concentration of talent. I have personally enjoyed the variety afforded by the diversity of industries, clients, technologies, work and geographies - work has remained fresh and interesting for me without changing jobs, and travel has been an option I've taken advantage of for access to great work and opportunities in both the US and Canada. I have many long term friends and a network of trusted teammates across North America due to Online.There is always a mix of interesting individual, team and project work available. I have also appreciated many opportunities over the years to contribute to the company outside of pure consulting - providing career mentoring, supporting business development, and participation in practice, regional and company leadership and planning. This leaves me feeling less like an employee and more like a stakeholder in the company and its culture.

Cons

The company has expanded into a number of geographies, and some locations are still relatively small. While this can be exciting and helps develop a strong local culture and cohesive team, there isn't always the brand presence in smaller locations that Online enjoys in more mature locations. Employees in these smaller, younger regions also don't enjoy quite the same sense of enterprise as those in larger, older regions. I heard that a client in one region once referred to Online as "the best kept secret in town." It would be good to have stronger brand awareness everywhere.

I'm treated with dignity and respect by all members of the OBS team, and enjoy the truly professional environment.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Online provides an atmosphere of a large business family, and the professional development opportunities are second to none. Online not only encourages but insists on work/life balance (work hard/play hard), and aligns resources to support this philosophy. The people are sincerely nice, and I enjoy working with them all. Online is a great place to work!

Cons

As with all organizations, Online is challenged in providing affordable health care to its employees. Last year, however, the out of pocket maximum and co-pays increased substantially, and I'm concerned about the cost increases that might be around the corner. Also, I'd like to see 401k matching please.

Having met and socialized with the executive management team, I must say that they are all bright, engaging, and excellent business leaders.

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

We are glad to hear you feel like you are part of the family. That is so important to us even as we grow in size. It really speaks to who we are and how we differ from other companies our size. We ... More

OBS - where one can make a difference

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

OBS is that right-sized company where you can go in and truly see the difference you make to the organization and how your contributions fit in.

Cons

Work-life balance can get off a bit, but I believe that's for everyone these days. OBS actually doesn't like its employees to get their balance out of whack.

My advice to management is more of a thank you to them for "getting" that happy and well-balanced employees cause revenue growth.

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

Thanks for your feedback.
    Yes work-life balance can get off a bit when we have tight deadlines, but we hope this is for short duration. This is sometimes the nature of consulting. We are flexible
    ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of the IT companies I have worked at, this ranks in the top 1%. The work environment, the salary, the benefits, and the work itself are all very, very good. And they provide a generous annual training budget. But what really makes them stand out from other companies is the way they treat employees (fairly, openly, honestly) and how they treat their clients (ethically, fairly, collaboratively). As a consulting company, I have seen no evidence of the typical 'con' in their 'consulting'.

Cons

Online is not a place to work if you want procedures and rules and a perfectly 'well-oiled' bureaucracy. In other words, if you like working for a big bank or insurance company or a Fortune 500 company and don't want a more casual, personable environment, with some rules and procedures you have to make up as you go, you wouldn't want Online. (But obviously, that is *not* a negative for me.)

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue to stay 'in touch' with employees - have the employee outings, team building events, etc. Keep working on maintaining the culture of Online.

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

We couldn’t have said it better ourselves. The pros that you point out are ones we work hard to cultivate. Through checkpoint interviews, focus groups and our Great Places to Work results, we really ... More

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They care about their employees and treat us well, great benefits, on-going training, one big family.

Cons

None at this time.

None, all good

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

Glad to hear things are going well in your first year. We are doing what we can to ensure that if you were asked the same question a year from now your response would still be the same. If along the ... More

Great people at Online!

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

What I love most about working at Online are the people or “Onliners” as we affectionately call ourselves! Onliners are the most passionate, intelligent and industrious group I’ve ever had the pleasure to work alongside. I believe many others must also feel that way, because we tend to have very long careers here, which helps foster our unique culture.

In short, it is a pleasure to work at Online and be part of an amazing team!

Cons

Would appreciate if Online made a contribution to the retirement plan.

Oct 21, 2014Director, People Care

First off we want to say congratulations on being here 10 years! We recognize Onliners have choices out there, so when they stay at Online and are still happy after 10 years, we know we are on the ... More

Online Business Systems Photos