Online Business Systems

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

4.4

Charles (Chuck) Loewen

Truly great employees combined with interesting work make this a fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

Pros

Online is a great company to work for. Being a consulting firm, the work is usually on the leading edge of technology trends, but there is also a wide variety of work across technologies / business domains and the team members are some of the best I've ever worked with. The company has employees across North America but there is still a family atmosphere, and this is very apparent in the Portland office. I think the fact that there are many employees celebrating 10+ years with the company says a lot about the people and the company. I think Online does a good job of providing employees with a balanced experience in terms of compensation, benefits, work experience and career opportunities in an atmosphere that values your opinions and contributions.

Cons

Online has more of a startup feel to it, especially in the Portland office. Prospective employees should expect a more dynamic vibe which may be at odds with their initial impression of Online given it's size and scope.

This is not necessarily a con, but more of a consideration. People who like fast paced and interesting projects with a lot of variety will thrive here.

Jul 25, 2014Director, People Care

Thanks for the feedback. We work hard to ensure our values and our culture are maintained, as we continue to grow. We also believe that tenure is one of the indicators that tell us we are doing ... More

Outstanding IT consulting company

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

Portland is very fortunate to have a branch office of this Canadian based consulting firm downtown. Online Business Systems is an outstanding organization with excellent people. The leadership team (as well as the consultants) are intelligent, personable, energetic, forward-thinking, ethical, and caring towards their staff. I have been with them nearly 2 years now and have no intention of leaving them, even if a more lucrative opportunity came along.

Cons

I have found nothing that is a 'con'.

Keep doing what you are doing

Outstanding people and management

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

Management is committed to creating a partnership with their clients and their staff consultants. Everyone is highly competent; it really brings out the best in your own abilities and attitude. A Career Mentor is assigned every employee and stays active with that employee to the employee's satisfaction. Great benefits and pay. I just can't say enough good things about being an "Onliner".

Cons

As a consulting firm, you will be working on a project for some other business. So while Online is wonderful, the client culture may zap your energy. Many of the projects are staffed with several Onliners or can be worked remotely from the Online office; so sometimes the culture encountered during work hours reflects Online's principles but not always.

Continue the good, solid work of making the Portland office a leading center of excellence in the Northwest. I think there could be some consideration of sponsoring events, lectures, etc. to do more to get the Online Business Systems name better known.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. Supporting all 3 legs of the stool. Online, the client, the Onliner!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Feeling supported. Opportunity for growth with personal/ professional development. Having a career mentor. Opportunity to get involved in the various service offerings. Lunch and Learns.

Cons

Sometimes feeling disconnected from home office related to mostly working at client sites. This limits involvement in home office activities. Not enough vacation time.

vacation improvements

Online has elevated my career to new heights.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Working with Online has taken my career to a completely new level. Online works hard to align opportunities to work on projects that not only play on my current strengths and experience, but give me room to grow and push myself. There is a great career mentor program in which everyone participates, and that's coupled with a professional development budget (time and dollars) that lets me take advantage of training, certifications and conferences that align to my career goals. The people that work here are enthusiastic, high performing and excellent at what they do; Online sets a high bar for its consultants and quite frankly, that's a great thing. Lots of companies talk about caring about their employees, but Online truly does. They understand that at the end of the day the success of the company is directly tied to the success of the individuals that work here. There's also lots of opportunities to have fun and relax outside of work, Online plans many awesome social events and is always open to doing more.

Cons

No company is perfect: the biggest con is probably that there is currently no pension plan in place.

Continue to be honest with staff about plans and challenges for company growth - they are the ones that will help make it happen.

Jun 30, 2014Director, People Care

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear what we are doing right and where we can improve. We know the pension plan is important to many Onliners and each year we revisit it ... More

A company that gave me the opportunities to excel

Current Employee - Program Director  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Program Director in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Online Business Systems (OBS) is a company that truly cares about it's employees. We act like a family, we have a fantastic culture of respect and fun and the work we engage with at our customer's is rewarding and challenging.
    OBS has always allowed its team the opportunity to step up and make a difference. Whether by wowing a customer with excellent work/effort, or taking on an internal project like running a Solution Practice or being a Career Mentor to other team members.
    I can speak up with management and offer advice that is listened to and adopted where applicable. We aren't big on rules and red tape but structured enough to allow everyone the chance to grow and excel fairly in their chosen path.
    We have unique benefits like an employee referral program where you get paid $1 for every hour someone you referred to OBS works in a year...and that continues automatically for every year you are both working at OBS!!
    When you start with OBS you are given so many ways to feel supported which helps you to be successful. As you grow your career, the support continues ultimately leading in most cases to you becoming a Mentor to other new team mates.

Cons

We don't have a pension plan but are working towards bringing something in (as of May 2014) hopefully in the next year or so. That would go a long way to helping people to plan for a long term future.
    They have a no pets policy at work. Just kidding.
    Sometimes the staff meetings only have fried food. Really...I'm struggling to find real issues.

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep your hiring bar as high as you have been for the last several years. Put people through many interviews and be picky. Keep putting your customers and your team first. We work best at our customer's sites when we feel the support OBS gets us in small and big ways.
    ex. i can order pizza for my team when they've been working hard and OBS will cover the cost. No questions.
    ex. I can fly off for a week long training class in my field each year, all paid.
    Those examples are some of the things OBS is known for and has never changed over the years. That's why we are so loyal to this company. We feel special. And we work hard as a result.
    That's why our customers rave about our service and often say we are the benchmark they compare our competitors to.

Jun 30, 2014Director, People Care

I couldn't help but smile as I read your review, as what you describe as pros are exactly what we strive for. When someone tells us that that “we act as a family”, then we know we are doing things ... More

Loved my time here! great people - great work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Time-off, PD time / budget, flexible scheduling are all great but the thing that keeps me excited about working here are the people. Smart, fun, excited, people who are engaged and engaging. Online has a culture of fun + work

Cons

Strange preoccupation with food - ideas about motivating with food - snacks, bringing in and going out for lunches, dinners all part of an established process - there's someone always trying to derail my meal plan

keep up the good work - I'm a very satisfied onliner

Jun 30, 2014Director, People Care

Thanks for the response. It’s great to hear specific things that we are doing right. We’ll make sure we keep doing them!
     Insofar as our obsession with food, we had never really given it much

Great company!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Just attended a staff meeting. Great opportunity for networking, information sharing, and absorbing the culture of a great company. I'm signing up for the staff golf tournament!

Cons

Staff meetings happen after regular working hours. The relaxed environment helps to take the edge off the extra time commitment.

Jun 30, 2014Director, People Care

Our culture is extremely important to us. A lot of companies say that, but at Online, creating a positive working environment for Onliners and ensuring every Onliner feels valued and respected ... More

OK place to work...

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

I worked for a number of years for this company. Salaries are reasonable (but not awesome), plenty of opportunities to meet fantastic professionals, lots of lunch and learns, good company events, awesome Christmas party and very good food on the summer barbeques (but you have to pay for it! :) )

Cons

Inconsistent policies; i.e.:
    1) The benefits include a budget for your professional development, but you cannot control it fully. Prior to using your PD for training you must follow an approval process with your career mentor but sometimes he doesn't agree with the courses you want to take.
    2) Very doubtful labor practices... they make you sign a contractual obligation so you will not pursue or accept employment from another firm that happens to be their client. The clause applies even if they let you go. They serve most of the good companies in Winnipeg, so get ready to lose your connection with the Winnipeg labor market unless you plan to stay away from it for six months!. They want to keep the option to fire you and make you stay away from their clients for six months. That is, according to the papers you sign...
    3) The benefits are not good enough. This is a small company so there is no pension plan, insurance and other benefits are not paid in full by the employer, rather; they make you pay 50% for it.

* Start by removing the scary clause from your employment contract that says that the employee cannot accept employment from other firm for six months after is let go or resigns. People has to pay bills..
    * Put together a reasonable pension plan
    * Rework your benefits to make them more attractive and make people stay.

May 7, 2014Director, People Care

Let’s talk about the pros first........................................................................................

***I believe our salaries are competitive and not just adequate

Completely average consulting company

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Generally good environment and co-workers, some interesting work depending on clients. Good stepping stone to other companies.

Cons

Average to Below market pay, benefits package is very weak. Insufficient professional development budget.

Inconsistent work for specialists, best decision I made when at OBS was looking for external opportunities leading to a better future.

Snacks don't make up for lack of benefits.

May 26, 2014Director, People Care

I see that you were a “contractor for more than 3 years” at OBS.
    We do distinguish between Onliners and contractors. The majority of people who work for OBS do so on a permanent basis and this is
    ... More

Worked for Online Business Systems? Contribute to the Community!