Online Vacation Center

3.4
Ed Rudner

1. Good opportunity for someone with no experience in the travel industry

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

huge travel benefits, flexible schedules, encouragment to travel and good pay structure

Cons

micromanagement, changes in pay structure, corporate policies that don't align to sales goals. Expensive and shallow medical benefits

Advice to Management

listen to people who know sales when looking for ways to sell more. start a 401k match. stop adjusting the pay structure and constant changes to job duties.

2. Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had plenty of sales experience, but none in travel. There's a lot to learn but training is very thorough, and the supervisors and co-workers are always there to help. Great travel opportunities! I've had experience with a lot of management styles and impossible quotas to meet. I don't feel that kind of pressure here. The sales manager is realistic and approachable. Excellent communication, which is very important in any work environment, but especially in sales.

Cons

It can seem a little overwhelming at times when you have a lot on your plate and more clients are calling you. You have to have good time management skills and be great at prioritizing.

3. This Company is Passionate About Travel

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Online Vacation Center is a solid organization that offers very competitive wages and excellent benefits to include travel. I have visited so many places in the world, at a discounted rate, that I never would have had an opportunity to visit had I not been in this industry. I can't imagine working in any other. In addition to above average wages and benefits, the company is small enough (under 80 employees) to recognize talent and offer upward mobility to those who are exemplary in their performance. The company is willing to train in certain entry level positions, like Personal Vacation Managers and Accounting Analysts, so this would be a great company for a recent graduate to start their career. Additional perks: lots of company and supplier sponsored breakfasts and lunches throughout the year, annual company picnic with grand prizes to include amazing cruises, bowling and hockey nights for the staff, gift cards and bonuses for outstanding performance and an amazing new building location near downtown Ft. Lauderdale where we occupy 17,000 square feet of the top floor with panoramic views all the way to Miami!

Cons

The company is fast paced and driven. It is strategic, entrepreneurial and moves in a lot of different directions depending on business needs and operations. This is how it is so successful - with the ability to adapt to the ever changing needs of the industry. In order to succeed, you need to be able to work in this type of environment.

5. A great career

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and phenomenal travel opportunities Caribbean, Europe and Asia ocean and river cruises Great people to work with and excellent training A very caring almost family like environment from the top on down Work days go by very quickly

Cons

There is always a lot of work to do and the company expects a very high standard of work product

Advice to Management

Consider more training and keep up the good work

6. Great Career Change

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cruising has never been on my list of things to do. Even though I am from Florida, I have only been on 1 cruise and the only cruise lines that I was familiar with were Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I had no idea that so many existed. My whole life I played basketball and then starting coaching at a university once my playing days were done. I was in an unfortunate situation where all the coaches at my school were fired. I tried and tried to find another job in my field, but nothing was available. I saw an ad online for a travel agency and I said this sounds like something I could be good at. So, I applied not knowing if anything would come out of it. I got a call for a phone interview, then I took an exam and had an in office interview. Then, I was offered the job and I accepted it! I have been working here since July and I don’t have anything bad that I can say about the company. Everyone is very nice and helpful and they always make me feel like I am part of the team even though I am new. I have learned a lot and I have been able to help hard working people take their dream vacations all around the world. I really didn’t know what to expect, but so far it has really been rewarding.

Cons

Please do not consider this company if you are not good with time management or do not have a great customer service skills.

7. Great place to work!

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, the office is beautiful, the vacation time is great and the travel perks are amazing! This is definitely the right job for a travel enthusiast. Everyone receives a travel agent card which grants you tons of discounts, free cruises and more.

Cons

I wish we had early release the days before holidays.

8. Not my original career choice, but I am extremely happy.

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No travel or sales experience needed. Paid training, very friendly office environment, flexible schedules, management cares about their employees. Travel agent perks with reduced hotel, cruise, and tour rates. I've done more travel in the last 2 years than I ever have before in my life.

Cons

Starting each month off with cakes and brownies, as well as frequent catering services causes inevitable weight gain.

9. Terrible

Current Employee - Xx Xx Cc in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Xx Xx Cc in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's was a job and that is it.

Cons

Management makes current employees post positive reviews on this site. Scroll down to see what the truth is. The most recent reviews are management's manipulation of this website. Don't believe any of the recent reviews. I am so glad I left this slimy place. Ed the big boss runs the place like a sweat shop. Forget about getting paid a decent salary. It's all about Ed and he keeps it all for himself and his family & friends. Recent college grads don't be lured in by their promises. This place is a road to nowhere. Take your hard earned education and be good to yourself it will be easy to find a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want to be treated. Stop cheating your employees and maybe you will motivate not to leave like I did. Pay for what get.

10. Nepotism and Favoritism at its Finest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

I worked at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(Most of) the employees are great people who can commiserate with the overall state of affairs.

Cons

Employees with innovative ideas or who "think outside the box" to grow the business are often fired and always ignored if said ideas differ from those that upper management have had in place for years. For the few employees who actually have advancement opportunities, promotions are not based on merit but rather the willingness to be a YES man (or woman) and/or a direct relationship with upper management.

Everyone is replaceable, you have the right to work in this state

I worked at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the other employees

Cons

This company is dictated by the boss and ran as a top heavy company...you will not get a raise and if you do, there are strings attached. The VPs pass along all the work to the staff and make more in their bonus structure than you do. The board of directors, which include old colleagues and family get stipends to meet about a penny stock that no longer needs to report to the SEC. The sales agents get paid a fraction of the revenue into the company and the ones making too much will be let to when they are owed too much money. They get paid to not talk and go away, which is the fate of every employee except the rudners.

Advice to Management

Karma catches up with everyone, you will never have a positive work-life balance under eddy

RSS Feed </> Embed