Onondaga County Reviews

Joanne M. Mahoney

Okay!

Former Employee - Acctount Clerk I and II in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Acctount Clerk I and II in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Onondaga County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pension after 10 years. Chance for advancement

Cons

Working with some The people.

Job security is relatively good, although uneven across County.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Onondaga County full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, benefits, training and growth opportunities if willing to take advantage of them and not just be willing to do the minimum. Many especially newer employees are enthusiastic.

Cons

Hard to work with some union employees who think doing the minimum is fine. County management seems to be typical, including hiring unqualified relatives and connections for positions created for them. Reporting in minute detail to and having to get approvals from County Legislature can slow down progress, including accepting grant money.

Don't make policies to cover all situations and all people - allow some flexibility, and treat appropriate employees as professionals. And resist nepotism - you lose credibility.

Good support and nice people to work with.

Former Employee - Clerk II in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Clerk II in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Onondaga County full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training. Support from Supervisors. Flex time when needed.

Cons

I have no cons to offer you.

non

Onondaga County: Department of Facilities Management

Current Employee - Sustainability Intern in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sustainability Intern in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Onondaga County as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great and always help eachother out.
    Everyone is very helpful in bring me to meetings and site inspections, etc.

Cons

Being an intern, I have do not get a lot of challenging projects.

Good place to work but the pay is low.

Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Onondaga County

Pros

OCSO is a place that offers a diverse opportunity for experience in many different types of units that cannot be obtained in many smaller agencies. There are several specialty units such as K9, SWAT, Dive Team, Bomb Team, Aviation, Snowmobiles, Investigations, community relations and many others. Due to it being a larger agency for the area there are alot of opportunities for promotion. The police side of the hall has about 35 sergeants and ten lieutenants. Promotions tend to occur regularly. Even when promoted there is opportunity to serve in various capacities. It is a well regarded agency that serves as a resource to many agencies in the area.

Cons

The pay is historically terrible compared to other agencies in the county. As a county agency the county budget must provide for many services not required of other municipal governments. Up until recently, OCSO did not have any type of binding arbitration. We asked for better pay, the county told us no and there was no other recourse. Now that binding arbitration has been instituted for Deputy Sheriff's in NY, we now have a neuteral and detached hearing officer who can at least determine if the deputies are being treated unfairly and impose a decent contract when the county fails to negotiate in good faith.

Put mission first, men second and your own creature comforts or desires first. It often seems as though the current administration has taken the job for their own enjoyment. They seem to lose sight of the fact that they can do more to insure the proper equiping, training and support of their own men. The Sheriff is an elected office. Each public action he takes seems to be geared toward getting re-elected instead of serving the community. Sometimes, providing for the rank and file goes alot further toward that than taking other thinly disguised actions to promote their own agendas.

Good Place, Could be Better.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Onondaga County

Pros

The various work sites and job tasks are extremely diverse, My 25 year career has shown me that there is a good core of dedicated, hard working, public oriented employees. The benefits packages are well rounded and reasonably priced.

Cons

Extremely poor management, communication is lacking. Management is virtually unregulated, as long as the books are "in the black" they have no consequences for their actions.Nepotism is rampant, everyone should have a fair chance at a government job, if qualified. The majority of employees are hard working individuals, yet government employees seem to get a bad rap as lazy.

Show up at work, follow the work rules that are imposed on subordinates. Listen to and learn what your employees are doing. Encourage, train and mentor younger management in more positive ways.