Onvia

Henry (Hank) Riner

A day in the life

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Onvia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Onvia's work environment is captivating and inspiring. Every team has its own personality that is well balanced and designed to fit that teams needs. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience to gain from the people here.

Cons

Some rolls are still being developed and can cause an unclear definition of responsibilities. Not many company involvement with the community or company events out side work hours.

Upper management is definitely present and involved in daily operations.

Contractor Experience

Former Employee - Product Team Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Team Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Onvia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people I interacted with were very smart and dedicated to the job at hand. I felt that my skills were valued on the project I worked on. The product itself seems to have great potential and I enjoyed seeing the impact of my work. Fun environment to work in - lots of morale/networking event opportunities.

Cons

Departments seemed silo-ed - although there was a concerted effort to help boost interdepartmental communication during my time at the company.

I'd recommending providing more on-boarding for contractors. I was hired on during a transition with HR and received limited orientation to the company and the office/IT environment (I also had to wait 2+ weeks to receive a key card). While I understand that contractors aren't FTE employees, a little bit of an orientation to the different teams, resources, and goals of the company would be beneficial.

An Over-Achieving Sales Person's Dream

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Onvia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a 20 year sales professional, Onvia has a great commission plan. It rewards those who strive to be top performers. The people are talented and location (downtown Seattle) are great.
    The product helps fellow sales and marketing people win more business which is very rewarding.

Cons

Company may concentrates a little too much on use of the product and need a little more focus on expanding content IMO.
    Those who support the customers need a bit more sales training. Though the level of attention seems good,
    they need to get as involved with each company as do the acquisition team

-Management IMO needs to focus their sales training efforts more on the those who manage the customers (Account Management)
    -Continue to focus efforts on getting more strategic information and expanding sources maybe in to non profits, etc.

Sense of Change Around the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Onvia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and product, good work-life balance, location.

Cons

A lot of talk about the ineffective leadership. However, I recently joined the company and it seems as if they are changing for the better. I have experienced a very positive environment thus far. A lot of negative criticism comes from the sales and marketing side, which I can't directly attest to because I work in a different department

Increasingly Negative Culture and Extreme Micromanaging.

I have been working at Onvia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

supportive coworkers, great Location, convenient parking,

Cons

To many Cons see Below

The culture has shifted drastically and has become very negative
    Leadership is giving contradictory priorities
    Leadership claims to be transparent but acts in a manipulative manor
    Reactive management is increasingly beyond micromanaging
    Work life balance is theory and neurotic

Client implementations rarely go smoothly and it is a known issue with no resolution

They are trying to hire top talent and then manage them like they are fresh out of college
    The on-boarding process is a mess for new hires.
    Quotas are build so that all year reps and managers are under plan, then leadership provides urgent triage uplift late in the year. Even great reps rarely feel successful and there are always fire drills.
    So few reps are hitting their current number yet they continue to raise quota and break it down to micro verticals.
    Account Mangers are unhappy they are always given extra tasks which are not in their job description., They have taken the Growth Piece away from Account Managers aka Client Success Managers. Making it almost impossible to hit quota.
    NO room growth.
    only 2 good managers one on AM side and one AE side if your not on those 2 teams your pretty much done for.
    constantly changing comp plans
    They ask you do one thing then they ask you to do another. when they don't see immediate results they change it all over again and then you get yelled out and penalized for doing it the way they asked you to do in the first place.
    Charge Larger Companies more because they can afford it. always adding price increases sometimes as much as 10K or more.
    over the past year I have worked here I have seen long time employees leave or pushed out. Onvia does not value tenured employees.
    Refuses to see that some verticals are preforming like they used to.
    Mangers will not let you get help from sales trainer and if you bring it up or ask then they are on your butt.
    Mangers except 1 make you sell just like them if you don't you have a huge target on your back. ( not everyone has the same style)
    always points out the negative but never says anything positive
    low moral
    no team building

--- advice for management ---

Fix the product issues. Stop expecting so much growth when you are struggling to get to your number and no one feels successful. The competition is getting better and you need a model to sell into the SMB space that is simple for customers to procure and implement. There are too many internal meetings; stop touching everything all the time, it only provides confusion. Stop taking about the culture of transparency while keeping everyone in the dark until the last minute.

Revolving door for salespeople

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Onvia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first it seemed like a great opportunity. Great downtown location, plenty of lunch options, etc. People generally seemed happy.... Or were they?

Cons

Overpriced product. Competitors offer similar service for 75% less cost. Management is fickle. My second day, two people were fired. My first month over 6 people quit or were fired. Employees are in and out of that place faster than you can learn their names. Salary is OK and commission is OK but you are lucky to hit goal once, or twice a year. If your looking for long term, don't bother. If you HAVE to get a job, give em a shot but don't expect anything longer than a 3-6 month job.

Quit watching good people go. Hold true to your word. Get a fresh new CEO

Changing...in a good way

I have been working at Onvia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is dead-center of a market change and is doing all the right things to get to the next place.
    Making good investments across product, marketing, content.
    Making great investments in people - shaking things up to create some new opportunities and grow from within. They like to home-grow.
    Great work life balance
    Open environment - physically and practically - access to everyone

Cons

Career development - not a lot of structure on developing people - "do it yourself" - would be good to see more formal ways to learn and grow
    Management support - managers get promoted because they are good at what they do, but then don't learn how to be good at being a manager
    No regular bonus structure

Involve your people in the next stages - the more minds the better
    Transparency rules - keep talking about things, keep people involved and tell them why
    Find a way to recognize and reward employees for doing a great job.

If you need a job and Onvia is your only option take it. But, too many great companies in Seattle to settle here.

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Onvia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work life balance. Good location. Some nice folks. Okay benefits for people with families. Gym in building to work off the stress. Shopping, restaurants and bars nearby. Trust me you'll get to know the bars as you'll need a drink or ten after your days here.

Cons

Low base pay given the market. (I will say the commission structure can be lucrative) Out of about 20 reps two on average hit their quota. Unable to pick a course and stick to it. No real innovation. No marketing plan. Middle management in way over their heads. No room for growth as the company is not growing. Talented people get out as soon as they can. No one will take responsibility. I was in multiple meetings in which Hank, the CEO of the company, would defer or deflect blame. He would never take responsibility. When asked why sales numbers were horrible for the first quarter of 2014 he deflected and never answered the questions. At company meetings people would ask him why marketing is generating no interest he deflected or misdirected or perhaps he has no clue. They brag about the investment in the product but every new "module" they launch is horrible. Nothing works the way they say it is. They price themselves out of the market. It's like senior leadership is living on another planet.

Do market analysis. Hire managers who have management experience. Price your products competitively (quit pretending GovWin by Deltek is a peer you are not in same league) Accept the fact that Onvia is slightly better than the BidNets and BidOceans of the world. Quit changing the sales process without actually figuring out what works. Ever heard of a beta test?

Directionless and with little talent

Former Employee - Content Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Content Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Onvia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people were alright. You could work from home on occasion.

Cons

Some of the worst leadership I've seen for product and marketing. Deadlines are constantly being pushed out because of mismanagement and worse, launching products that aren't ready. There is no mission statement because there is no mission. All the talent feels underpaid, stifled, and leaves for better opportunities and more money at more successful companies. There is no room for vertical movement. Everyone in the company knows the company is a joke.

Stop hiring bozos and fire the current ones.

Job Hunter Beware! Sign with Onvia and you'll be looking for a new job in a couple months!

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Onvia full-time

Pros

The people I worked with
    I had a great direct supervisor (but upper management fired him)

Cons

The company changes directions too quickly and leaves employees wondering
    Employee churn is threw the roof
    Comp and benefits could be better
    Upper management acts more like a clique than business leaders
    Very old school

Stop changing directions and swapping out employees before you actually evaluate what's happening. You treat people like their expendable and of no value to the company. Every time I tell people I used to work for Onvia, they say their sorry. That should speak volumes!