Ooyala

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ooyala President & CEO Jay Fulcher

Jay Fulcher

A Continual Learning Experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsAmazing dynamic company culture, which really fosters the self-motivation to get things done. Team-oriented everything and everyone's very respectful and fun. Everyone's super excited about it and no one's ever bored.

ConsSome weeks can get really hectic and stressful. There's quite a bit of work and always a lot of planning todo that can get overrun by laziness which means more work for other people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like the way that they don't have to micromanage everyone yet they foster such an amazing work-culture that makes everyone excited to build something innovative and cool.

Great learning experience and great people!

Senior Sourcer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThe culture is fantastic! Employees are very passionate about their work and always willing to share knowledge. There are always new projects to tackle and interesting challenges to overcome. I love working in this fast-paced environment where I can have a direct impact on recruiting efforts. There are fun team off-site events for every team and after hour events a few times per week (movie nights, game nights, and wine nights). Definitely a great place to work where you can learn from very smart people!

ConsSome people have a hard time adjusting to the fast-paced environment but other than that, there aren't any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Great culture, even better people

Mountain View, CA

ProsOoyala is a work hard, play hard environment. All my peers at the company are very hard working and still find the time to establish meaningful relationships with their colleagues. The salary and benefits programs are great, our bonus pays out quarterly, food is catered every day, and time off is unlimited. It's also a great learning environment.

ConsOoyala has the same challenges as many companies in a similar stage of growth. The company has to sprint to keep up with the influx of new hires and scale with the market.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic people, laser sharp vision and focus, great work culture that starts with trust unless you lose it!

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

Pros1. Company Values of Trust and Empowerment. Simple example: Unlimited Time Off, No Leave Counting System. Sends out a simple message: Give your best, Meet or Better what you said you would do and by when, and it is a win-win

2. Compensation is better than competition

3. Fabulous lunch and dinner!

4. Exploding industry and exciting technology - spearheading user friendly and intuitive video pipeline for B2B2C usage is hot!

5. High hiring bar - they keep the gate hard to cross, so that the culture of trust is not easily abused

6. Fantastic New Hire Tradition of telling the most embarrassing story ever - immediately helps you to shed your ego and be part of the family. Great HR Team who comes up with such ideas!

Cons1. Standardization of technology is lacking somewhat. Different teams use different technologies. May result in quick fragmentation

2. In spite of the high bar there seems to be some individuals who are difficult. That is impossible to prevent though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no feedback to Senior Management yet, as I am new to the company. I will be happy to provide feedback when I see fit, thanks.

Good culture, exciting industry

ProsGreat culture, work hard play hard. Benefits are great, unlimited time off, paid medical benefits. Technology is interesting and customer base is varied. Opportunities exist for getting involved outside of your everyday.

ConsProduct team is small and not innovating as quickly as you'd expect. Politics tend to play a part in career advancement. Not a high degree of retention. Lots of employee churn.

Advice to Senior ManagementImportant to set expectations for growth and ensure that employee career goals aren't just listened to but also acted on.

Losing People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey hire talented and bright people
    Free food, and parties
    Fun atmosphere
    Generally good people

ConsImmature management
    Executive arrogance led to a huge attrition problem
    Seems like they promoted a lot of people to counter the attrition problem, so they may pay you well to keep you if you are looking for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would replace the sales person at the CEO level with a inspiring technology evangelist.

Sucky management spoils excellent technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew college grads can get some real-world experience solving problems with AWS, Hadoop, Cassandra, and other "Big Data" systems, including analytical applications of video data in near real-time. Data scientists are top-notch.

ConsDrunken management has trouble correlating business demands.

Supportive infrastructure is sadly lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking on the job and focus. Keep your word. Treat all employees with respect.

Sr Staffing Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThe energy, team dynamics and the overall company culture is really amazing. Never a dull moment at work. Its so great to be working in a space/industry is literally changing how people consume media and traditional "TV"

ConsThe video and online/mobile media space is literally moving so fast your head will spin. Quarter to quarter you need to reset goals, deliverables and expectations. Hard to create consistency.

Excellent company to work for

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Open communication is encouraged at all levels
    Good people
    Lots of opportunity
    Interesting technology
    I've worked at 7 tech companies over the last 17 years and this is my favorite.
    Not one person I work with directly is overly difficult (this is rare as there is almost always one bad apple in a bunch).
    I personally like my manager and direct reports.

ConsEngineers treated like gods (not so much a con, but not a pro either)
    Some very young employees with a strong sense of entitlement.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Work Hours, Interesting and quickly changing industry

ConsLimited Upward Mobility, excessive middle management layer, hiring bar has slipped lower over time.

Worked for Ooyala? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ooyala reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ooyala CEO Jay Fulcher . All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Ooyala employees.