Ooyala Reviews

Jay Fulcher

A Continual Learning Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Ooyala as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing dynamic company culture, which really fosters the self-motivation to get things done. Team-oriented everything and everyone's very respectful and fun. Everyone's super excited about it and no one's ever bored.

Cons

Some weeks can get really hectic and stressful. There's quite a bit of work and always a lot of planning todo that can get overrun by laziness which means more work for other people.

I really like the way that they don't have to micromanage everyone yet they foster such an amazing work-culture that makes everyone excited to build something innovative and cool.

Good benefits but not worth the stress

I worked at Ooyala

Pros

Great benefits. Provides a lot of room for career growth. Has a very structured Human Resource team and operates like a big company. Free food and unlimited PTO.

Cons

The company is experiencing a high turn over. Has a hard time retaining talent. Smart but inexperience managers who does not know how to lead a team and tends to make things more stressful and complicated than it should be. Although the company is overly generous with gifts and compensations, they have a hard time tackling the root of the issues which is why employees are leaving.

Great learning experience and great people!

Current Employee - Senior Sourcer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Ooyala full-time

Pros

The culture is fantastic! Employees are very passionate about their work and always willing to share knowledge. There are always new projects to tackle and interesting challenges to overcome. I love working in this fast-paced environment where I can have a direct impact on recruiting efforts. There are fun team off-site events for every team and after hour events a few times per week (movie nights, game nights, and wine nights). Definitely a great place to work where you can learn from very smart people!

Cons

Some people have a hard time adjusting to the fast-paced environment but other than that, there aren't any cons.

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic people, laser sharp vision and focus, great work culture that starts with trust unless you lose it!

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Company Values of Trust and Empowerment. Simple example: Unlimited Time Off, No Leave Counting System. Sends out a simple message: Give your best, Meet or Better what you said you would do and by when, and it is a win-win

2. Compensation is better than competition

3. Fabulous lunch and dinner!

4. Exploding industry and exciting technology - spearheading user friendly and intuitive video pipeline for B2B2C usage is hot!

5. High hiring bar - they keep the gate hard to cross, so that the culture of trust is not easily abused

6. Fantastic New Hire Tradition of telling the most embarrassing story ever - immediately helps you to shed your ego and be part of the family. Great HR Team who comes up with such ideas!

Cons

1. Standardization of technology is lacking somewhat. Different teams use different technologies. May result in quick fragmentation

2. In spite of the high bar there seems to be some individuals who are difficult. That is impossible to prevent though.

I have no feedback to Senior Management yet, as I am new to the company. I will be happy to provide feedback when I see fit, thanks.

Great culture, even better people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ooyala is a work hard, play hard environment. All my peers at the company are very hard working and still find the time to establish meaningful relationships with their colleagues. The salary and benefits programs are great, our bonus pays out quarterly, food is catered every day, and time off is unlimited. It's also a great learning environment.

Cons

Ooyala has the same challenges as many companies in a similar stage of growth. The company has to sprint to keep up with the influx of new hires and scale with the market.

Good culture, exciting industry

I have been working at Ooyala full-time

Pros

Great culture, work hard play hard. Benefits are great, unlimited time off, paid medical benefits. Technology is interesting and customer base is varied. Opportunities exist for getting involved outside of your everyday.

Cons

Product team is small and not innovating as quickly as you'd expect. Politics tend to play a part in career advancement. Not a high degree of retention. Lots of employee churn.

Important to set expectations for growth and ensure that employee career goals aren't just listened to but also acted on.

Sr Staffing Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for more than a year

Pros

The energy, team dynamics and the overall company culture is really amazing. Never a dull moment at work. Its so great to be working in a space/industry is literally changing how people consume media and traditional "TV"

Cons

The video and online/mobile media space is literally moving so fast your head will spin. Quarter to quarter you need to reset goals, deliverables and expectations. Hard to create consistency.

Losing People

I worked at Ooyala full-time

Pros

They hire talented and bright people
    Free food, and parties
    Fun atmosphere
    Generally good people

Cons

Immature management
    Executive arrogance led to a huge attrition problem
    Seems like they promoted a lot of people to counter the attrition problem, so they may pay you well to keep you if you are looking for that.

I would replace the sales person at the CEO level with a inspiring technology evangelist.

Sucky management spoils excellent technology

I worked at Ooyala

Pros

New college grads can get some real-world experience solving problems with AWS, Hadoop, Cassandra, and other "Big Data" systems, including analytical applications of video data in near real-time. Data scientists are top-notch.

Cons

Drunken management has trouble correlating business demands.

Supportive infrastructure is sadly lacking.

Stop drinking on the job and focus. Keep your word. Treat all employees with respect.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Ooyala full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Work Hours, Interesting and quickly changing industry

Cons

Limited Upward Mobility, excessive middle management layer, hiring bar has slipped lower over time.

Worked for Ooyala? Contribute to the Community!