OpSec Security Group

Good Company/Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Staff/Management  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Staff/Management in Lancaster, PA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The general employees are skilled and mostly pleasant people. The location is very convenient and in a beautiful park. Plenty of vacation time.

Cons

The management rules by fear and intimidation. Upper management has no background in printing or security and have not been inclined to learn them. They have a "good old boy" mentality and have tried to manage by bringing in their own large chemical company mentality and staff. The employees have zero respect for management.

You cannot teach respect by having a local college lecturer come in and teach it. To get respect, you have to give it. Put experienced and industry relevant people in charge.

Cheapskates in denial about cost of doing business

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time

Pros

I was promoted while I worked there. Many of my coworkers were wonderful people who I enjoyed working with. The company is exceedingly generous about allowing employees to work from home during poor weather or for any personal need.

Cons

Pay is well below industry norms for the area. The company refuses to hire adequate staff, citing costs. The company refuses to purchase adequate equipment, citing costs. Meanwhile, the company blows absurd amounts of money on travel and perks for executives and salespeople, giving employees the impression it's an old boys club rather than a business.

Upper management dumps unrealistically big work expectations and unrealistically short deadlines on employees with no regard for management's own refusal to provide sufficient staffing or equipment to get the work done, ignores all warnings, and gets upset and applies pressure if they don't get what they want. I and others in my group became sick from stress. Employees were regularly forced to work nights and/or weekends in addition to a full time schedule during business hours. Because of management's constant attempts to squeeze blood from the stone, quality of work is consistently poor, and those things that do get done often feel like they're a big thing held together with bubble gum and twine.

I was denied vacation that I had earned on the grounds that my manager didn't believe I'd be able to meet the work goals that had been set for me if I was allowed to take my vacation days.

Executives tend to fall in love with a project and jerk everyone around to get their pet project done by verbally inflating its importance regardless of its actual revenue value. This means people end up doing vast amounts of work to get a tiny project with little revenue done, resulting in a net loss, and keeping them from being able to focus on the needs of actual large clients that produce a lot of revenue.

Despite that I got a promotion, mostly there is little to no opportunity for promotion. Analysts have strictly no career advancement in the company and turnover consequently seemed high to me. There is no opportunity for a raise without a promotion, aside from token inadequate annual cost of living adjustments. Morale is very poor, and at the time I left a lot of others were leaving or planning to.

You have to spend money to make money. This means you have to hire an adequate level of staff and pay them market-competitive pay, or else you will consistently not have enough people to get things done, most of the people you'll be able to attract will have poor skill level, and people will keep walking out the door with valuable institutional knowledge.

Hiring lots of contractors has consistently worked out poorly for you, so why do you keep doing it?

Applying pressure to your employees as a method of getting more work out of them will only get you so far, and has consistently gotten you bad work that needs to be redone later, so why do you keep doing it?

You think you're still a manufacturing company... you're not. Your clients think you're a manufacturing and digital services company now, and you'll lose your clients if you don't staff up adequately on the digital services side to be able to meet deadlines.

When you have more managers running a department than people actually doing the work, you've got a problem.

You have to stop making contracts with clients without consulting the people who will actually have to do the work to find out what can really get done and how long it will take. You have to stop micro-managing your people to a level that prevents them from actually meeting deadlines. You have to stop allowing loudmouth executives from jerking the whole company around to ensure their pet projects get done first at the expense of actual large customers.

Could be better if right people were in charge of plant. Good business! Wrong people running it !!

Current Employee - Press Operator  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay, Good group of production employees, extra holidays off, 3 week vacation to start

Cons

Upper management has no clue how to run a printing company. No one in upper management has previous printing experience. Scheduling is terrible causing extra work for production employees. No raises due to company spending more money than it is making. Morale is ruined on production floor due to poor management

Put a plant manager in charge who understands the printing process. Place could be awesome place to work if management would understand printing. To many office people, need more production employees not office people walking around doing nothing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent niche business.

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The workforce is extremely dedicated and cooperative. Inter-department communication is above average and the facility is clean, secure and comfortable.

Cons

There is a disconnect between upper management and the employees. The flow of information seems to be one of "privilege" rather than company-wide, which is unfortunate.

Round table information transfer meetings with department heads and random, rotating groups of manufacturing floor employees. Open door policy.

Awful Place to Work

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, and a great location (downtown Boston in Copley Place). Those are the only positive things to say about this company.

Cons

Salary well below market averages for Boston. Disconnect between management and employees makes for "lost" visions and an often frustrating work environment. Blame game is constantly being played. HR is nonexistent. So is work/life balance. Virtually no interest is taken in employees or helping them achieve career goals. Company is in the tank financially so no one gets raises or bonuses. Hard when trying to raise a family.

Listen to employees and determine company goals. Stop working in silos.

An untrained, disorganized mess.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time

Pros

They are (were) willing to hire entry-level post grads. The benefits were decent. Analysts were friendly.

Cons

While they hire entry-level employees, they do absolutely zero training, on-boarding, and HR is essentially nonexistent. Individuals in management have no previous managerial experience and were simply promoted to those positions because no growth development existed in their previous positions at the time.

Evaluate who you have running what. Provide HR support in your Boston office because the corporate HR office in Lancaster, PA is always unavailable. Put money into developing the software you've already up-sold to clients but haven't finished (or in other cases started) to develop.

Cheap is the key word.

Former Employee - Invisible Worker  in  Robbinsville, NJ
    Former Employee - Invisible Worker in Robbinsville, NJ

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

really can't find any good thing to say about this company

Cons

This company's hub is in Lancaster, PA. That is where the jobs are. After this company bought Robbinsville, NJ, lay off followed. And now they are shutting down the place. Before even the decision was made, there was no management in the office.. Basically it is a ghost town office. Now the CEO decided to shut down the site in about a year. Many people in Robbinsville will lose their jobs. Yes, they still remain Customer Service there, but who knows how long they will let those people go.

Moving whole plant to PA will eventually backfire..You are losing lots of good and skillful people! This may jeopardize your business.. Just wait and see...

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location, vacation days. Can't think of any other pros.

Cons

No room for advancement. Terrible health benefits. Managers don't know what their employees jobs entail. No sick days, no bonus, no increases.

Listen, listen,listen! Managers think they are better than their employees.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an amazing culture here. Great work/life balance. Awesome people, my team is incredible! As long as you do your job on time, there is no problem taking an extra day off even if you run out of your vacation hours. MBTA is sponsored (monthly Link pass), salary is growing, 12 holiday days per year, company outings, perfect location (Copley mall).

Cons

It would be nice to have some sick days in addition to personal ones. Otherwise, you take the days out of your vacation time.

Worked for OpSec Security Group? Contribute to the Community!