OpSec Security Group

David A. Mahony

New CEO and management. Stable company with amazing people

Current Employee - Production in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Production in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

High volume niche security products. Good stable workload and growing rapidly. Opening another facility in Lancaster.

Cons

Growing rapidly and need good people local to Lancaster.

Continuously improve products, processes and services. Inspire your long time employees.

Dire Straits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location, easy access to transit and shops/restaurants, etc.

Cons

Most of middle and senior management lack the leadership skills necessary to propel a team, and the company, forward. Employees are overworked, resentful, and disengaged. Although the executive team has made recent attempts at "transparency" and "goal-setting" for the organization, they ultimately fail at understanding the deep-rooted issues that cause the sense of apathy that is so prominent among team members. In May of 2014, employees were given engagement surveys aimed at identifying areas for improvement. Scores were low, but management never communicated next steps.

How can anyone possibly take their job seriously and perform at their best when management perpetually shoots down requests for raises/promotions/professional development opportunities? Many employees in this office did not receive 2014 performance reviews, nor did anyone receive cost of living salary increases, which, coupled with the already below-market pay, is the perfect storm for employee dissatisfaction. Employees leave because they find new roles in which they will be paid 20-40% more. They are expected to complete tasks without being given any of the resources necessary to do so successfully, and are then punished for it. They are also consistently pushed beyond their limits because they lack managers who can train them properly.

Overall, this is an extremely frustrating and discouraging place to work - the industry is interesting but if the company cannot pay non-management employees more than 30% below other employers in the city, they cannot possibly expect high productivity and quality, let alone retention.

Develop a clear product portfolio and go-to-market strategy. Hold people accountable for their actions instead of simply moving them to other areas of the business. Train sales people to achieve fluency in the technology, and if they cannot, find a new sales team. Consider researching area salaries and paying employees at market, rather than insulting them with pay that is barely enough to live in the city in which they work.

WRONG DIRECTION

Current Employee - Slitter in Robbinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Slitter in Robbinsville, NJ

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work in Robbinsville NJ for Opsec and we are a Union shop. Because we are a Union shop we enjoy Union benefits and don’t have to go with the poor company benefits. We only pay $10.00 for doctor visits, $15.00 for specialists and $35.00 emergency room and $10.00 prescriptions. We have dental and eyeglass coverage too. We get 10 sick days a year besides getting our vacation time. No Union member in this building makes under $19.50 an hour and our overtime pay starts after 8 hours. The management here is great and they knows we know our jobs so they just tell us what they need and when they need it and let us alone.

Cons

Upper management from outside our plant is the most incompetent clueless bunch of individuals I have ever seen. Lancaster management is building a good old boys club. And because of this the boss hires all his buddies knowing they will not question his stupid decisions. This will go along with the rest of the upper management.
     The first CEO leading the company in the wrong direction then they pulled him out only to put his buddy in as the new CEO to continue the damage. Their famous TRINITY PROJECT or also known as the FREEDOM RD PROJECT is a complete disaster now and has been from the very start.
     Corporate greed is the only reason for this!! And because of greed this company will lose two of the biggest customers this company has “Visa and Master Card”.
     This company does not want to pay people their worth or give them descent benefits. This is why they pay the people in Lancaster such a low rate of pay and they haven’t offered a raise in over 6 years. That is the reason to shut Robbinsville down no matter how much money the Union people make for them.
    The people in Lancaster and in the UK are being put in a no win situation and the Company’s only solution is if you can’t do the work of products coming in out of Robbinsville will hire someone else.
    The UK people are lucky enough to have a Union to protect them from the way this Company operates. But the People in Lancaster are at the Company’s mercy. If I ever seen people who need a Union for job protection and a decent wage and benefits it’s the Women and Men in Lancaster Pa.
    When the Visa and Master Cards fail all the new hired people may either be let go or be taking the jobs of the older employees depending on their pay rate. That will be when this company shows its greed again and choose cheap over experience just like they have done here in Robbinsville NJ.

The CEO needs to be his own man and stop listening to his so called advisors who will bring him and the company down. Talk to the real people that do the jobs!!

10 years of mismanagement.

I worked at OpSec Security Group

Pros

Cleanest print shop I ever worked for. A lot of hard working dedicated employees.

Cons

Poor management, I worked for 5 managers and only one was a true professional. The rest were inexperienced and marching to a different drummer.

Production

I have been working at OpSec Security Group

Pros

Vacation time. Good hearted people working hard for there monies.

Cons

Clicks who try to bully others to get there way and management is blind to it or to afraid to deal with the real issues hoping it will just go away. Making promises they can't fulfill after jumping threw hoops just to be denied. Financially very viable. Not certain of its future if things continue to keep going down hill. People do have choices this is true but a lot of people who work there love what they do not how they are treated like slaves way under paid.

Get the right people in the right places. Actually care when you say the people are your number one. Really do things to boost employee moral. Biggest of all accountability at all levels.

Overpaid management, underpaid and under appreciated workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time

Pros

Nice location, some of the best production workers around (the true professionals at OpSec)

Cons

Bad choices for management and bad choices made by management. Low morale, and no follow through on promises made to employees. Don't expect to be compensated for your efforts or acknowledged either. If you are not accepted by the right "group" you might as well just leave.....

Pay your people their worth, follow through on your promises. Reduce the amount of meetings and be available for staff. Put the right people in the right positions. Get rid of the tyrants.

Good Company/Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Staff/Management in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Staff/Management in Lancaster, PA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The general employees are skilled and mostly pleasant people. The location is very convenient and in a beautiful park. Plenty of vacation time.

Cons

The management rules by fear and intimidation. Upper management has no background in printing or security and have not been inclined to learn them. They have a "good old boy" mentality and have tried to manage by bringing in their own large chemical company mentality and staff. The employees have zero respect for management.

You cannot teach respect by having a local college lecturer come in and teach it. To get respect, you have to give it. Put experienced and industry relevant people in charge.

Cheapskates in denial about cost of doing business

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time

Pros

I was promoted while I worked there. Many of my coworkers were wonderful people who I enjoyed working with. The company is exceedingly generous about allowing employees to work from home during poor weather or for any personal need.

Cons

Pay is well below industry norms for the area. The company refuses to hire adequate staff, citing costs. The company refuses to purchase adequate equipment, citing costs. Meanwhile, the company blows absurd amounts of money on travel and perks for executives and salespeople, giving employees the impression it's an old boys club rather than a business.

Upper management dumps unrealistically big work expectations and unrealistically short deadlines on employees with no regard for management's own refusal to provide sufficient staffing or equipment to get the work done, ignores all warnings, and gets upset and applies pressure if they don't get what they want. I and others in my group became sick from stress. Employees were regularly forced to work nights and/or weekends in addition to a full time schedule during business hours. Because of management's constant attempts to squeeze blood from the stone, quality of work is consistently poor, and those things that do get done often feel like they're a big thing held together with bubble gum and twine.

I was denied vacation that I had earned on the grounds that my manager didn't believe I'd be able to meet the work goals that had been set for me if I was allowed to take my vacation days.

Executives tend to fall in love with a project and jerk everyone around to get their pet project done by verbally inflating its importance regardless of its actual revenue value. This means people end up doing vast amounts of work to get a tiny project with little revenue done, resulting in a net loss, and keeping them from being able to focus on the needs of actual large clients that produce a lot of revenue.

Despite that I got a promotion, mostly there is little to no opportunity for promotion. Analysts have strictly no career advancement in the company and turnover consequently seemed high to me. There is no opportunity for a raise without a promotion, aside from token inadequate annual cost of living adjustments. Morale is very poor, and at the time I left a lot of others were leaving or planning to.

You have to spend money to make money. This means you have to hire an adequate level of staff and pay them market-competitive pay, or else you will consistently not have enough people to get things done, most of the people you'll be able to attract will have poor skill level, and people will keep walking out the door with valuable institutional knowledge.

Hiring lots of contractors has consistently worked out poorly for you, so why do you keep doing it?

Applying pressure to your employees as a method of getting more work out of them will only get you so far, and has consistently gotten you bad work that needs to be redone later, so why do you keep doing it?

You think you're still a manufacturing company... you're not. Your clients think you're a manufacturing and digital services company now, and you'll lose your clients if you don't staff up adequately on the digital services side to be able to meet deadlines.

When you have more managers running a department than people actually doing the work, you've got a problem.

You have to stop making contracts with clients without consulting the people who will actually have to do the work to find out what can really get done and how long it will take. You have to stop micro-managing your people to a level that prevents them from actually meeting deadlines. You have to stop allowing loudmouth executives from jerking the whole company around to ensure their pet projects get done first at the expense of actual large customers.

Could be better if right people were in charge of plant. Good business! Wrong people running it !!

Current Employee - Press Operator in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, Good group of production employees, extra holidays off, 3 week vacation to start

Cons

Upper management has no clue how to run a printing company. No one in upper management has previous printing experience. Scheduling is terrible causing extra work for production employees. No raises due to company spending more money than it is making. Morale is ruined on production floor due to poor management

Put a plant manager in charge who understands the printing process. Place could be awesome place to work if management would understand printing. To many office people, need more production employees not office people walking around doing nothing

Excellent niche business.

I worked at OpSec Security Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The workforce is extremely dedicated and cooperative. Inter-department communication is above average and the facility is clean, secure and comfortable.

Cons

There is a disconnect between upper management and the employees. The flow of information seems to be one of "privilege" rather than company-wide, which is unfortunate.

Round table information transfer meetings with department heads and random, rotating groups of manufacturing floor employees. Open door policy.