Opal Financial Group

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
2.3

Abraham Wellington

Not too bad,, didn't have much to do

I have been working at Opal Financial Group part-time

Pros

the people were great...good environment

Cons

shredded paper all day...they barely had assignments

have more interesting asssigmnets or don't hire interns

Great as a building block into financial services

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No dress code, easy going managers, know when you are leaving for the day, travel is amazing if you are in sales or investor relations-- domestic and globally. Young office.

Cons

The CEO is extremely awkward and a bad face for the company, low salaries but you have the ability to make nice commissions, no 401k, nothing changes. No upward mobility unless someone leaves or gets fired.

Yearly reviews should not have to be asked for, micro management of phone calls is horrible, if you pay crappy you will get crappy work.

So bad it is not believable

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are NONE! Literally NOTHING good I can say about this place

Cons

Owner doesn't care about anything or anyone, just how much you will being in that day. I had to call out b/c my Mother was rushed to the hospital (no joke) Abe the owner stopped my paycheck! Salespeople own the good accounts and will steal others. Office has WAY more cockroaches than people. My first day I had to get rid of 3 HUGE roaches right under my desk , desk, chair, everything was filthy. the pay SUCKS, the products SUCK, the boss is the WORST!

ire new managers- do not let the owner talk to the employees- killed my motivation every day

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MY FIRST NEW YORK CITY JOB EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - Event Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Opal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a chance to meet some great people. The colleagues on my team were nice.
    Helped strengthen my ability to multi-task and my supervisor was great at training me on managing different accounts. I liked my job and working with my team.

Cons

Company has a lot of issues. The first week I started, five people quit. After a month of being at the company three more people quit. This being my third job out of college, I found this a bit strange. I did not focus on it, until this started becoming the norm at the office. It seems once you get to know employees, everyone talks about leaving the company. Many employees' spirits are low a lot. I noticed some good reviews on this company. It is obvious that upper management writes all the good reviews on glassdoor. So many people are unhappy. If company promoted a more healthier environment and better pay, the environment would drastically change for the better!

*Turn over is pretty scary at this company. I was under the impression that all companies in New York City run like Opal Financial, but I found out this was not the case.
    *Work to improve relations with your employees. If people are constantly quitting, it is hard to stay on top of accounts and important information. I had a few customers get angry with me because even they were frustrated with having to work with yet another "new person".
    *Employees complain about low pay and constant mistreatment. I honestly did not feel the company offered a stable environment.
    *Human Resources has a hard time getting employees to stay. This should be a concern that HR tries to do everything to bring in great talent, but cannot convince them to stay at Opal. HR pleaded with me to stay and I did feel bad resigning, but I needed to find a better and more stable company to work for.
    *Owner of company seems very disconnected and he never disrespected me personally, but he is known for talking down to his managers and staff.

The best thing I ever did was look for another job. I'm working with a very good company now and very happy. I see a future where I am now.

Poorly run, poorly managed and a total waste of time!

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company hires great talent, and many of the employees are very nice people. So that is a plus, but the ONLY plus they have going for them.

Cons

High turnover that is not addressed and keeps getting worse and worse. When change is desperately needed, management are unable to affect change because CEO is bullheaded (and stubborn) and unwilling to make work environment better. CEO is selfish and does not care about his employees or his clients. Retention rate is terrible for this reason. Poor sales tools in place for sales teams. Lead sources are poor and the database is a far cry from Salesforce or any effective platform that all companies have. CEO is cheap and looks to cut corners, this results in the constant EXODUS of employees and clients. Salary compensation packages are disgustingly low. CEO wants people with experience, but talks down to employees. It is one thing to receive drastically subpar pay but then to be disrespected is where the "Rubber meets the road". There is no long term future at this company. CEO looks for ways to keep more money in his pocket, refusing to sometimes pay commissions or cutting the pay of the qualified staff he does have in place. He refuses to see these problems but has on proverbial blinders, and can't see what is right in front of his face!

If you want experienced professionals, you have to pay them accordingly. The culture of doing the same thing over and over again, expecting the same results... well that is the definition of insanity! If fresh new approaches and better strategic planning of how the company should be run does not occur, high turnover will continue. CEO is not the right person at the steering wheel, he needs to put the RIGHT people in place so that the company is managed better, is more efficient and professional. When people have ideas listen to them, try to see how maybe some of these ideas can help make things better. Hiring people right out of school/college is great, but they should not be in leadership roles! Mistakes are constantly being made! The CEOs mentality is "My company, my way" and that is why the work environment is unhealthy, morale is low, employees are always looking to quit and clients do not stay long term.

Worst company that I have worked for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Except for a few people that work there, none that i can think of.

Cons

The management is terrible, don't even consider working here. They do not respect their employees.

Learn to treat people with respect.

Just like all Companies, good work ethics yields quicker promotions.

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opal offers a casual environment for its employees. Office personnel are friendly and accommodating. Work load is steady throughout the day, in some cases slightly overwhelming, but I prefer this better than sitting at my desk doing nothing.

Just like all other companies you are hired to do a job and you are expect to meet performance standards. Standards have been established to assure every employee has an equal opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Entry Level positions start off at entry level salaries, but individuals who stand out above the crowd move up the ladder quickly.

Continue striving to improve even when

Great Place to work!

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to move career forward. Team is amazing and people are fun. Management is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

You have to be self motivated as many of the people are are friends also.

Great place to start and grow your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opal Financial Group is a great place to start and grow your career.
    Everyone in the company is very friendly and welcoming.
    If you work hard and give the job your all, you will be rewarded for doing so.
    There is an open-door policy throughout the whole office, making it easy to meet and talk with all of your co-workers.
    After the initial 90 day period, you are offered paid vacation/sick/personal time as well as the option to enroll into medical and dental benefits.
    Once you have established your clientele there is travel opportunity.
    After Memorial Day the company honors "Summer Friday" hours as an extra incentive to employees
    The location of the office is in Midtown Manhattan (awesome options during lunch hour and places to go after work)

Cons

Sales can be challenging, you have to be a self-starter and a go-getter. The first few months can be difficult, but with the right attitude and skill set you can set yourself up for success.

none

Not as bad as all these reviews make it seem

I have been working at Opal Financial Group full-time

Pros

-casual environment
    -young people, ability to make alot of friends and meet new people
    -work/life balance
    -working in manhattan is awesome
    -its a stepping stone into the real world

Cons

-the pay isnt great, but it is an entry-level position to get your foot in the door
    -the office could use some redecorating
    -the turnover rate is high
    -some of the managers are really lacking any type of managerial skills

-be more fair with your policies and procedures

Worked for Opal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!