Open Access Technology International

www.oati.com

Open Access Technology International Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Open Access Technology International – Minneapolis – “Minneapolis Campus. Building on 22 acres.”

Sasan Mokhtari

Pros
  • job security because their business is about providing energy solution (in 4 reviews)

• Since OATI is strict about working 8-5 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary and poor /No appraisals (in 6 reviews)

• You are expected in office before/at 8:00 am sharp and cannot leave before 5 pm (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company to Establish Yourself

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI have been working here for a little over 6 years now. After putting in a lot of hard work and long hours, I have a good position as the technical lead for my project. I get to see the software I work on making a difference in our customer's day to day business, and have gotten to interact with some really cool people. The job is never boring. There are always new things to learn and challenges to overcome, and I am pretty sure that I've been asked to do more in my first few years here than I would have at any other job. It is really the type of company where hard work pays off.

ConsThere are very high expectations, and the company asks a lot of its employees. It is definitely not for everyone. Most of the development that is done here is either enhancing, fixing, or maintaining legacy systems, which were not always built with the best software practices in mind. Also, the majority of changes we are asked to make are needed in a short amount of time, so there is often a feeling of being rushed. There are some real challenges as far as learning how to develop software in this type of environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a culture of doing whatever it takes to make the customer happy, although it is very feature oriented. The customer wants this new feature, so we need to build it; the customer can't use this feature because it is broken, so we need to fix it. There is not enough emphasis put on some of the more intangible things that are also needed to keep the customer happy, such as making sure the software is well designed and will not break under stress conditions.

No words to describe this company

Software Developer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNothing good just easy to get hired. Don't worry about experience, interviews and tests. You will get the job

ConsIt's horrible. Low compensation package. Low employees moral, office and desks are disgusting. Dirty as an office can get. Ridiculous policies, company demand too much from their employees. Worked weekends and over time without getting paid and when I needed time for a doctor appointment my manager told me that I have to make up the hours I missed.
    Had to take stairs every day because elevators are off limits for employees.
    The turn out is so big that this company ran enormous hiring fairs just to replace all of the employees that had quite.
    Last month more than 60 people started and no because they are expanding or growing it just to replace previous employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have all failed in everything

Don't drop the soap in this prison!

Junior Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsReally? Leaving was the pro...

ConsHorrible policies, 8-5 working hours, don't be late you will get a nasty email, outdated technology. No documentation, poor training. Expected to work extra hours . certain managers do not have people skills. The company overall does not value you in any way, you're about as important as an appendex.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the employees a favor, fix the problems instead of having admin assistants writing fake reviews

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard and it works out

Project Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI have found that if you work hard and prove yourself, you will get promoted and chances to work on more projects. This is how others moved up here as well. The projects are hard and need attention and with this comes the chance to prove you can do it.

Conssome policies are odd but they are not that big of a deal. the older bathrooms have been updated now. I read some other reviews and they are not fair, and seem to point to people who couldn't work hard and wanted things handed to them.

Piece of crap

Software Developer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNone. Really.... NONE !
    May be the fact that you start believing you are smart, but that's only because everyone here who is still here (including me) is extremely dumb

ConsPathetic work environment
    Weird (and strict) office hours
    Unhappy coworkers
    Underpaid ( significantly)
    Unfair..policies are different for different people because it depends on how much can you "appease" your manager ( note: good work does not do the trick for you)
    Very slow machines , very small computer screens.
    Cannot work from home... EVER !
    Expected to work from home without getting paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point. They just won't take it.

Awesome company!

ProsThere are only 6 toilets for 300+ men. People can be social and chat with each other about work while waiting to use the toilets.
    The salary is much lower than US standard. Employees get less paid but do decent contribution, this really helps American economics.

Consthere is really no flaws in this company.

Horrible

Software Developer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros1. Nothing great to say.

Cons1. You will became time machine.
    2. You will learn politics.
    3. You will lose your time.
    4. Low salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not a management. They are 'Yes Sir' people. Keep it up.

Fair experience for entry level sw dev

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood paid for internship. Nice manager (at least for the team I stayed).

ConsNo competition as a power solution company. Using old technology for implementation. You had to get company before 8 am and leave after 5 pm, strictly!! Otherwise one report will be generated.

Decent for recent grads.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty nice campus with secure parking, disc golf course, gym and decent trails for running. You get 1 hour lunch so there's plenty of time to grab food and do something active. I enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers and mgrs, at least in my dept. Young crowd, including many international workers(if you're into that). An alright entry level job. Free coffee all day, every day.

ConsPay is somewhat low for being based in Minneapolis. Pretty strict 8 hour work rule, there is usually a line of people at the doors waiting for the clock to strike 5. On-call is a pain and will definitely ruin your weekend. OATI was a small business and has transferred (fairly rapidly) to a medium sized business. It's somewhat apparent there are still issues with the adjustment. Most programs/applications you deal with are proprietary(webplus), so your transferable technical skills may be limited in that aspect. Also, most people know this going into the software industry, but you will be stuck in a cubical all day, 5 days a week with a very strict time policy...just really understand this and be content before applying.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould've rate a 2 if lower-level managers (in my dept) were into the whole micro-manage strategy, less laid back and less approachable.

Quality is constantly sacrificed for arbitrary and impossible deadlines.

Junior Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCompensation was good for an internship.

ConsThe work was very formulaic (Y2K-esque conversions). Upper management sets impossible deadlines and refuses to budge when changes are needed. There is no flexibility in work times (clock in a second after 8:00AM and you get flagged). The company's solution to project issues is to add more process overhead. I spent more time filling out change management documentation than I spent coding. The full time offer was abysmal.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering salaries 25% below the industry average will not keep talent around.

Worked for Open Access Technology International? Contribute to the Community!