Open Access Technology International

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
2.3

Sasan Mokhtari

Pros
  • job security because their business is about providing energy solution (in 4 reviews)

• Since OATI is strict about working 8-5 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary and poor /No appraisals (in 6 reviews)

• You are expected in office before/at 8:00 am sharp and cannot leave before 5 pm (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Entry-level job

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You have people around to help you when you get into the company, and a team works as a whole to do jobs.

Cons

The company uses old-fashion language, kinda difficult for new employee to figure out what the code is doing

Good for a first job, but get experience and get out fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Honestly the people there were what made it hard to leave.
    -I was lucky to be in a role where I kind of go to do what I wanted as long as it was beneficial for the company.
    -Pretty easy interview process, but going in I really had no idea what I was getting into, they pretty much just talk about the company the whole time and don’t give you a chance to ask questions. I had no idea it was a part time position when I interviewed, but took the job anyway. It was honestly super nice to able to transition into working full time.
    - I got a lot of experience fast and was able to build up my resume very quickly.
    -The people there are awesome. I really liked the upper management as people, it was just the way the company was run that wasnt working.
    -They will pretty much just tell you you're moving departments and it's not really an option. Which, in my case was fine, because I liked my second job better, but I didn’t have choice.

Cons

-VERY LOW PAY.
    - No room for growth, unless everyone above you quits (which is likely)..
    - Depending on your department, your title will never reflect the job..I was actually told that I wouldn’t be given the title of my position because then they would have to pay me more.
    -Pretty much all part time people start at the same pay. If you have a bachelor’s degree and you're an admin assistant, communications specialist, receptionist, or human resources assistant..doesn’t matter, you'll all be paid the same.
    -Also, those entry level developers can make, easily, 15-20k more almost anywhere

People aren’t just writing reviews because they have a chip on their shoulder and even if you ignore the reviews, it doesn’t mean they're not true. What the CEO doesn’t understand is that the people he is employing will always act like children if he treats them as such.
    Also, people aren’t going to be happy if they can never afford to move out their parents’ house while working there. Pay a little more and hire people that are talented and will stay because they want to! Loyalty is earned, you can’t demand it.

Please treat employees like an asset

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can get hired super easily
    Somewhat relaxed atmosphere
    Can refer your family or friends without any hassle
    Lot of diversity
    Clean environment

Cons

VERY VERY VERY LOW SALARIES
    Not flexible
    Micro management
    Outdated technologies
    You have to be there everyday from 8 to 5 no matter what (even if it a snow storm outside)
    You cannot work from home during work hours but you can work from home after 5 PM and that won't count as a "working hours"
    Wont get promoted for 4-6 years or your manager must move out
    No incentives for extra work (just some kind words)
    No such thing as bonus. Only few people knows about bonuses. Upper management will ask you to not talk about bonuses to other employees.
    Some good managers are there but their hands are tied cuz of some stupid rules

Please treat your employees as assets.
    Try to create a flexible environment for the employees. Not every employee will try to sneak out before he/she completes his 8 hour shift.
    It is really hard to stay positive about the future with such low salaries.
    Look at the completion of the task, not the attendance. Please let the employees work from home when it is bad outside.
    There is a reason for such negative comments on glassdoor. Try not to ignore everything.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Try not to lose your humanity.

Former Employee - Junior Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than a year

Pros

* You could get hired very easily.
    * Life is easy if only you can sit in front of the computer and sleep with your eyes wide open day by day.
    * You will not get fired by making mistakes.

Cons

* You get hired with the assumption that you are lazy and stupid. That's why they have such strict time rules, to chain you on the chair instead of assigning you well defined work.
    * Extremely low pay and no growth opportunity. Salary does not reflect work quality, and it still remains mystery how they price tag their developers.
    * Just a glimpse of their code you will find the project a timing bomb, wormhole, or simply put, a disaster. Every line of code is filled with anger and misery.
    * Your mind will be twisted, cos the management is trying so hard to brainwash you, to gain control of your mind.
    * You will start your career there believing you could get away from it in the future. But even if you do, the damage done is permanent.

Every step you take is wrong wrong wrong, and even blind could see that it is getting worse, and worse, and worse, and worse, and worse.

No words to describe this company

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing good just easy to get hired. Don't worry about experience, interviews and tests. You will get the job

Cons

It's horrible. Low compensation package. Low employees moral, office and desks are disgusting. Dirty as an office can get. Ridiculous policies, company demand too much from their employees. Worked weekends and over time without getting paid and when I needed time for a doctor appointment my manager told me that I have to make up the hours I missed.
    Had to take stairs every day because elevators are off limits for employees.
    The turn out is so big that this company ran enormous hiring fairs just to replace all of the employees that had quite.
    Last month more than 60 people started and no because they are expanding or growing it just to replace previous employees

You have all failed in everything

Good Company to Establish Yourself

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working here for a little over 6 years now. After putting in a lot of hard work and long hours, I have a good position as the technical lead for my project. I get to see the software I work on making a difference in our customer's day to day business, and have gotten to interact with some really cool people. The job is never boring. There are always new things to learn and challenges to overcome, and I am pretty sure that I've been asked to do more in my first few years here than I would have at any other job. It is really the type of company where hard work pays off.

Cons

There are very high expectations, and the company asks a lot of its employees. It is definitely not for everyone. Most of the development that is done here is either enhancing, fixing, or maintaining legacy systems, which were not always built with the best software practices in mind. Also, the majority of changes we are asked to make are needed in a short amount of time, so there is often a feeling of being rushed. There are some real challenges as far as learning how to develop software in this type of environment.

There is a culture of doing whatever it takes to make the customer happy, although it is very feature oriented. The customer wants this new feature, so we need to build it; the customer can't use this feature because it is broken, so we need to fix it. There is not enough emphasis put on some of the more intangible things that are also needed to keep the customer happy, such as making sure the software is well designed and will not break under stress conditions.

Work hard and it works out

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I have found that if you work hard and prove yourself, you will get promoted and chances to work on more projects. This is how others moved up here as well. The projects are hard and need attention and with this comes the chance to prove you can do it.

Cons

some policies are odd but they are not that big of a deal. the older bathrooms have been updated now. I read some other reviews and they are not fair, and seem to point to people who couldn't work hard and wanted things handed to them.

Don't drop the soap in this prison!

Former Employee - Junior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Junior Software Developer

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really? Leaving was the pro...

Cons

Horrible policies, 8-5 working hours, don't be late you will get a nasty email, outdated technology. No documentation, poor training. Expected to work extra hours . certain managers do not have people skills. The company overall does not value you in any way, you're about as important as an appendex.

Do the employees a favor, fix the problems instead of having admin assistants writing fake reviews

Piece of crap

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None. Really.... NONE !
    May be the fact that you start believing you are smart, but that's only because everyone here who is still here (including me) is extremely dumb

Cons

Pathetic work environment
    Weird (and strict) office hours
    Unhappy coworkers
    Underpaid ( significantly)
    Unfair..policies are different for different people because it depends on how much can you "appease" your manager ( note: good work does not do the trick for you)
    Very slow machines , very small computer screens.
    Cannot work from home... EVER !
    Expected to work from home without getting paid.

No point. They just won't take it.

Fair experience for entry level sw dev

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Good paid for internship. Nice manager (at least for the team I stayed).

Cons

No competition as a power solution company. Using old technology for implementation. You had to get company before 8 am and leave after 5 pm, strictly!! Otherwise one report will be generated.

Worked for Open Access Technology International? Contribute to the Community!