Open Access Technology International

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.3

Sasan Mokhtari

Pros
  • You will never get fired in your entire lifetime and will have excellent job security (in 5 reviews)

• Good Work Environment and nice company culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work from home after 5 PM and that won't count as a "working hours" (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary and poor /No appraisals (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A great intern experience

Former Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

For an intern, I got pretty good pay
    They taught me a lot about development in the professional world
    My managers were incredibly friendly to me

Cons

When first getting started, I was kind of left on my own with little instructions

Continue helping new employees get adjusted

You have to suckup a lot to higher management

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a decent start for pay

Cons

They will "promote" you with titles but not with salary.
    The approval process sucks
    It's kind of a demeaning job
    Micromanaging
    If you want to fail at life, this is a good place to start

i don't understand all the negative reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Access Technology International part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my time at OATI I had great coworkers and my managers were very accommodating of my scheduling needs. There is no reason why this place is rated so low on glassdoor when far worse employers (think some big box chains) have a higher rating. This company is very innovative and top management does care about their employees to a certain extent. Top management does seek feedback from employees and I have had issues I raised anonymously addressed by senior management,.
    Great location and working conditions.
    Company events are always fun.

Cons

Some of the work was monotonous.
    Pay could always be a bit better but that could be said about any job.

Easy Going

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Access Technology International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty easy to handle anything here. Need not have much knowledge about anything. You can learn if you are keen on learning and some training sessions are useful.

Cons

No particular training before starting the job. Very less salary even for full time. Much work was not given and I had to ask for work for most of the time.

Post OATI Review

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time

Pros

Leaving OATI has been one of the best decision I've made for my career. Now I see that OATI is stuck in a bubble. While the web developer community is advancing at lightning speed, OATI continues as if they are immune.

Cons

I heard things gotten even worst after I left.

Advice for existing employees: As you decide to take their talents elsewhere, keep in mind that OATI will use your NDA to threaten you, especially if you leave to join a company where former OATI employees have gone. Regardless if you violated the terms or not, they'll blindly send you cease and desist letters for the hell of it. OATI love burning bridges.

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was decent for part-time employees and there was job security as the company continued to expand. I guess a mandatory hour lunch break was okay, but if you don't take that whole hour you're in trouble.

Cons

Extremely unflexible; had to seek approval for the smallest requests which could take more than two weeks to hear back from the executives. Processes were outdated and there was little room for futuristic and modern work methods.

Horrible Bosses and Pathetic Management

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time

Pros

The only qualification you need to get a job here is "Typing". I mean, ability to type. That's all you need. If you don't have a college degree, you can still get a job here. If you a criminal record in the past, you can still get a job here because no one cares about your background. Yes, these are pros here.

Cons

If you have computer science degree, this is not the place for you. Absolutely not. Outdated technologies and languages. Your pay will be 40-42k and its is standard. All smart people left the company in past 2 years and continuing to leave. You have to be at work sharp 8 in the morning. Even if u r late by 1 second, you will be given a talking. You can't leave before 5 pm. There are many such stupid rules here. You see a lot of depressed faces in the office. Managers are mere puppets here. People here are just waiting for right time to leave.

People here are just waiting for right time to leave. Save yourself. You may hire new employees, but If an employee with 2 or 3 years of experience leaves, its a big loss to you. Improve you pay standards, your standards. Upgrade yourself.

Excellent Entry-level job

Former Employee - Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

You have people around to help you when you get into the company, and a team works as a whole to do jobs.

Cons

The company uses old-fashion language, kinda difficult for new employee to figure out what the code is doing

Good for a first job, but get experience and get out fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Honestly the people there were what made it hard to leave.
    -I was lucky to be in a role where I kind of go to do what I wanted as long as it was beneficial for the company.
    -Pretty easy interview process, but going in I really had no idea what I was getting into, they pretty much just talk about the company the whole time and don’t give you a chance to ask questions. I had no idea it was a part time position when I interviewed, but took the job anyway. It was honestly super nice to able to transition into working full time.
    - I got a lot of experience fast and was able to build up my resume very quickly.
    -The people there are awesome. I really liked the upper management as people, it was just the way the company was run that wasnt working.
    -They will pretty much just tell you you're moving departments and it's not really an option. Which, in my case was fine, because I liked my second job better, but I didn’t have choice.

Cons

-VERY LOW PAY.
    - No room for growth, unless everyone above you quits (which is likely)..
    - Depending on your department, your title will never reflect the job..I was actually told that I wouldn’t be given the title of my position because then they would have to pay me more.
    -Pretty much all part time people start at the same pay. If you have a bachelor’s degree and you're an admin assistant, communications specialist, receptionist, or human resources assistant..doesn’t matter, you'll all be paid the same.
    -Also, those entry level developers can make, easily, 15-20k more almost anywhere

People aren’t just writing reviews because they have a chip on their shoulder and even if you ignore the reviews, it doesn’t mean they're not true. What the CEO doesn’t understand is that the people he is employing will always act like children if he treats them as such.
    Also, people aren’t going to be happy if they can never afford to move out their parents’ house while working there. Pay a little more and hire people that are talented and will stay because they want to! Loyalty is earned, you can’t demand it.

Horribly oppressive, unprofessional regime

Former Employee - Software Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Access Technology International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

T-SQL experience.
    You'll learn to keep your mouth shut.
    A solid understanding of what you absolutely do not want in an employer.
    A new/renewed appreciation for the song "Take this job and shove it."
    If you hate your family, a job at this company will provide many opportunities to put them second to your work.
    It'll be fun to joke with your colleagues about how they should change the name of the company to "Open Access Training Institute."
    You will never get fired, no matter what.
    If you sign up for the in-house fitness class with the CEO, you'll get into the good ol' boy network (as long as you kiss his butt.)

Cons

The following is ALL based on personal experience:

You will report to un-trained, inadequate, powerless management.
    You'll be forced to sign a two-year, non-compete, non-solicitation agreement. Two year!! You will NOT be given an opportunity to have a personal attorney review said agreement.
    If they discover that you are mildly competent, you will quickly be saddled with more work than you can ever hope to accomplish within the given deadline.
    You will be doing mandatory overtime (with no compensation.)
    Project management is hostile at best, especially under pressure (so constantly.)
    You will quickly be added to an on-call after-hours (24 hr) support rotation, and handed a mandatory company cell phone that MUST be answered ANY time it rings, day or night, even when you're not on call. This cell phone is the crappy flip phone you get for free at any major carrier. You will not be allowed to make or receive personal calls on it.
    You will not be allowed to place or receive personal calls on your desk phone (if they give you one,) or your personal cell phone while at work.
    You will not be allowed to eat anything (whatsoever) at your desk.
    You will be required to badge through a turnstile prior to 07:59:59 each morning. Failure to do so will result in an email from the in-house legal department.
    You will not be allowed to badge through same said turnstile prior to 04:59:59 each evening. Leaving one second early will result in the same email.
    If either happens three times in a month, you will be disciplined. Doesn't matter if uou just worked the weekend or all night. You. Will. Be. Disciplined.
    There are recycling bins all over the campus; these are just for show as everything is just thrown into the same dumpster out back.
    You will be grouped in with others outside of your department, and will be graded collectively. This collective grade will determine your raise amount, if you get one at all. Worked every weekend last year? Doesn't matter. Bob didn't meet a deadline so no raise for your group.
    You will receive little to no training on outdated, half-baked technology (good luck putting WebPlus on a resume.)
    You will spend your days firefighting code that was written on a Saturday and put into production the following Monday, un-tested. When this happens, you will be working in the office until it is fixed. Then you will have a follow up meeting the next day in which you will be chastised.
    You will develop an eye-twitch (or other nervous tick) from the constant stress due to ridiculously unrealistic project timelines and incompetent "yes man" management.
    Everything you learned with regard to data modeling in school is null and void at this company. You will roll fully denormalized schemas to production systems constantly.
    In the event you receive a promotion (likely because the person(s) above you got sick of it and quit,) it will come with a 2% raise and a 90% increase in expectations.
    The CEO and his Chief General Counsel are a married couple. She weilds an enormous power, and does so like a bank robber in the lobby with an AK-47. If you sign on, stay out of her path as much as possible.

What good does it profit a man, to gain a fortune but lose his soul? Start treating your employees like human beings, not property.

Open Access Technology International Photos

Minneapolis Campus. Building on 22 acres.

+ Add Photo