Open Systems International

Bahman Hoveida

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Innovative, Growing Company with Great Facilities

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Medina, MN

Pros-Love the new building, very bright and open work place
    -Excellent subsidized cafe on site
    -OSI takes an innovative approach to an interesting field
    -Very committed to being socially responsible by being "Green"
    -Growing rapidly with lots of new hires and expansion

Cons-High learning curve, this is a huge system to get acquainted with
    -High expectations from employees(could be a pro)
    -Monthly pay cycle is a little strange at first

Advice to Senior Management-Make exception for first month's pay: a month is a long time to wait for that first check!

Great place to work!

Business (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsThe culture at OSI is alive! The work is fast-paced and the employees are full of energy. In my specific position I enjoy getting to work on a variety of tasks on a day-to-day basis, never a dull day. Casual work environment, flexible work hours, free soda, free snacks, lots of employee events throughout the year. The health insurance plan is unbeatable! I'm not sure why everyone complains about the pay, it seems to be in line with industry averages and the bonuses are great.

ConsLocation - Medina is definitely on the edge of the metro.
    While they do have flex time, I wish there was a work from home option

A company to get some experience, but don't expect longevity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsGood chance to get job as a new grad and a good place to get exposed to many learning opportunities. Since there is so much work, you get to do things that other companies would not let you touch.

ConsToo much work, sometimes disorganized, since it's a matrix organization and you get work from many people. The pay is quite dismal and they think they are doing you a favor by giving you other "benefits" such as a nice building and free soda, rather than giving you a decent salary for the work you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees better by giving them better salaries and having a less paternalistic philosophy. It may help change the trend of high turnover the company has had for years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot's to love!!

Engineer (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsThe building, exercise room, cutting edge technology, grwoth in sales, free sodas, the cafeteria, my boss, health insurance, staging area, great work experience, beer and wines days and lots of young, intelligent coworkers.

ConsTough projects, pay rates, some cynics, lack of push back on customers who are not fair, some favoritism and no tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Senior Managementloosen up on tuition reimbursement.

Some people should just "move on"

Staging (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsThis company is growing and very successful. It is clear that that growth has had a cost. It is a fast paced hard working environment with good work for technical minded people. Check out their Facebook page to get a sense of what it is really like. For someone with a two year degree this place rocks.

ConsSome people can't move on. They post and repost the same complaints. So this wasn't the place for you. get over it. The customers are demanding and they should be. Management can't make that any easier. This is not a place for cry babys.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all want higher pay. Make sure you are thinking abot that as it grows.

Really bad experience -- but at the time I had no better choice due to economic downturn

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Most software developers whom I work with in OSI were friendly and helpful
    - In case you are a soda drinker, they offer free soda
    - The new building and new facility make the work place a nice environment

Cons- Low compensation (salary); it is one of the lowest in Twin Cities area and interestingly they call it "competitive"
    - Micromanagement at the very top level (i.e., CEO)
    - Nothing in OSI resembles a high tech company and of course OSI is not high tech but the way they treat their software developers is really indecent, from salary, to pto, to starting work hour
    - Since it is not a good place to work for, most of OSI developers leave the company within 1-3 years of service.

Advice to Senior Management- Do not micromanage and adjust your employees salary with industry standards

Great work environment, includes revolving door for employees due to sub-standard wages.

Engineer (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsMany job 'perks' such as company outings and free soda.
    Lots of room for promotions due to high turnover rate.
    Opportunities for expense paid work travel around US and over seas.

ConsLow wages are the number one reason for the high employee turnover rate.
    Promotions are near impossible to come by, even with all goals exceeded for the year.
    HR has no power, the company CEO micromanages all important decisions away from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for their dedication and commitment. Compensation for going above and beyond should be given, not battled for.

Great starting place if you're looking to go into software/IT not Electronics Engineering.......

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

Pros- Hands on experience with various Operating Platforms
    - If you have't learned Command prompt, you will definitely take a dive head first at it (sink or swim)
    - Free pop (another incentive Management preaches about)
    - The environment is full of youth (recent college grads). It could be both good and bad as the turn over rate on Engineers are about two years

Cons- You don't really need an EE degree to do the work here
    - tribal knowledge is big here although the documentations are starting to improve
    - LOW-end EE entry level salary (don't expect to negotiate)

Advice to Senior Management- Pay your employees more and the turn-over rate wouldn't be so high! Stop trying to sell your performance/holiday bonuses & health benefits as a way to compensate the low pay..........

Some things to love and...

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Medina, MN

ProsI joined Open Systems after school got out this summer. I have to say the company has a nice building and the social activities are awesome. The cafeteria is too expensive but the nachos are the BEST! They say we are growing.

ConsOther than that it's a job. I used to work in a lab at school and its alot like that. There is more hardware and that can get to be to much - if you let it get to you.

Project Engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Free soda: they have free soda in the office which I don't know if it is good or bad. I have seen some developers drunk 25 + cans a day.
    - very self-driven work environment - New hires pretty much learn as they go on the jobs, but you do get a lot of supports from other engineers because they have been in the same shoes not long ago.
    - have opportunities to learn many different things

Cons- lack of standards
    - Upper management teams don't care about employees. Upper management team are really into micromanaging.
    - low pay high stress. Engineers average have about four to five projects at the same time. They work average 55 hours or up per weeks. They work even more when you are on site with the clients.
    - Upper managers don't really care about work and life balance. Example: Friend of mine traveled 3 weeks back to back to back straight. They will always fly you out on Sundays and fly you back on Fridays or Saturdays. You really don't get to pick your hotel because they will pick the cheapest hotel (sometime motels) for the business trip. You have to use your own credit cards to book flights and hotels for the trip upfront.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease care about the people.
    If you can't maintain the people, the company will not go far for long.

Worked for Open Systems International? Contribute to the Community!