Open Systems International

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Open Systems International President Bahman Hoveida

Bahman Hoveida

Good First Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with some really great co workers. They don't overload you with work that is impossible, especially at the beginning. Very nice work environment and a nice cafe. They put together some nice activities for their employees.

ConsNot the most competitive pay for a business position. There was not a lot of room for growth while I was with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees and think outside of the box

Lot's to love!!

Engineer (Current Employee)
Medina, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time for more than a year

ProsThe building, exercise room, cutting edge technology, grwoth in sales, free sodas, the cafeteria, my boss, health insurance, staging area, great work experience, beer and wines days and lots of young, intelligent coworkers.

ConsTough projects, pay rates, some cynics, lack of push back on customers who are not fair, some favoritism and no tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Senior Managementloosen up on tuition reimbursement.

Some people should just "move on"

Staging (Current Employee)
Medina, MN

ProsThis company is growing and very successful. It is clear that that growth has had a cost. It is a fast paced hard working environment with good work for technical minded people. Check out their Facebook page to get a sense of what it is really like. For someone with a two year degree this place rocks.

ConsSome people can't move on. They post and repost the same complaints. So this wasn't the place for you. get over it. The customers are demanding and they should be. Management can't make that any easier. This is not a place for cry babys.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all want higher pay. Make sure you are thinking abot that as it grows.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really bad experience -- but at the time I had no better choice due to economic downturn

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Most software developers whom I work with in OSI were friendly and helpful
- In case you are a soda drinker, they offer free soda
- The new building and new facility make the work place a nice environment

Cons- Low compensation (salary); it is one of the lowest in Twin Cities area and interestingly they call it "competitive"
- Micromanagement at the very top level (i.e., CEO)
- Nothing in OSI resembles a high tech company and of course OSI is not high tech but the way they treat their software developers is really indecent, from salary, to pto, to starting work hour
- Since it is not a good place to work for, most of OSI developers leave the company within 1-3 years of service.

Advice to Senior Management- Do not micromanage and adjust your employees salary with industry standards

Great work environment, includes revolving door for employees due to sub-standard wages.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Medina, MN

ProsMany job 'perks' such as company outings and free soda.
Lots of room for promotions due to high turnover rate.
Opportunities for expense paid work travel around US and over seas.

ConsLow wages are the number one reason for the high employee turnover rate.
Promotions are near impossible to come by, even with all goals exceeded for the year.
HR has no power, the company CEO micromanages all important decisions away from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for their dedication and commitment. Compensation for going above and beyond should be given, not battled for.

Great starting place if you're looking to go into software/IT not Electronics Engineering.......

Plymouth, MN

Pros- Hands on experience with various Operating Platforms
- If you have't learned Command prompt, you will definitely take a dive head first at it (sink or swim)
- Free pop (another incentive Management preaches about)
- The environment is full of youth (recent college grads). It could be both good and bad as the turn over rate on Engineers are about two years

Cons- You don't really need an EE degree to do the work here
- tribal knowledge is big here although the documentations are starting to improve
- LOW-end EE entry level salary (don't expect to negotiate)

Advice to Senior Management- Pay your employees more and the turn-over rate wouldn't be so high! Stop trying to sell your performance/holiday bonuses & health benefits as a way to compensate the low pay..........

Some things to love and...

Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
Medina, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time for less than a year

ProsI joined Open Systems after school got out this summer. I have to say the company has a nice building and the social activities are awesome. The cafeteria is too expensive but the nachos are the BEST! They say we are growing.

ConsOther than that it's a job. I used to work in a lab at school and its alot like that. There is more hardware and that can get to be to much - if you let it get to you.

Project Engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than a year

Pros- Free soda: they have free soda in the office which I don't know if it is good or bad. I have seen some developers drunk 25 + cans a day.
- very self-driven work environment - New hires pretty much learn as they go on the jobs, but you do get a lot of supports from other engineers because they have been in the same shoes not long ago.
- have opportunities to learn many different things

Cons- lack of standards
- Upper management teams don't care about employees. Upper management team are really into micromanaging.
- low pay high stress. Engineers average have about four to five projects at the same time. They work average 55 hours or up per weeks. They work even more when you are on site with the clients.
- Upper managers don't really care about work and life balance. Example: Friend of mine traveled 3 weeks back to back to back straight. They will always fly you out on Sundays and fly you back on Fridays or Saturdays. You really don't get to pick your hotel because they will pick the cheapest hotel (sometime motels) for the business trip. You have to use your own credit cards to book flights and hotels for the trip upfront.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease care about the people.
If you can't maintain the people, the company will not go far for long.

Above average employee events and no compalints so far

Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
Medina, MN

ProsThe company seems to like to have a good time. It give away sodas, The work is on the tough side but a technician can learn a lot. If you like travel you can get all you want. The company is growing and is in a new building.

ConsIf you do not like travel you might get pressed to travel anyway. New hires are getting really intense training I didn't when I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for all new hires.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional work environment
Organized and detailed plans for each process
Checks and balances throughout company
Extremely bright leadership
Opportunities to learn
Great PTO

*Free soft drinks and numerous corporate events.*

ConsIf you do not have a technical background, then it will take you a bit longer than others to fully understand our products and services.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring the first week or two weeks, it would be helpful for all new employees to watch product demonstrations, especially for those that do not have a technical background.

Worked for Open Systems International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Open Systems International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Open Systems International CEO Bahman Hoveida. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Open Systems International employees.