OpenDNS Reviews

Reset
4.6
OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch
David Ulevitch

OpenDNS is an excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

OpenDNS is a company that's truly innovating in a space that previously saw very little innovation. People here are very excited about the product and the opportunities ahead of us. The benefits are ample - work schedules are flexible and a healthy work/life balance is encouraged.

Cons

There really aren't any significant cons to working here. It's a start-up, which to some is seen as a downside, but OpenDNS ends up attracting top talent that wants to be involved in something great at an early stage.

Advice to Management

Capitalize on the opportunities ahead. Continue listening to employees and giving people what they want and need to be successful.

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's a startup with millions and millions of users. You get out of it what you put into it. The CEO is always open to talk to you and listen to feedback. Great coworkers and office environment. Also, it makes money so it's not going out of business. Very much NOT a Web-2.0 social networking or dating site.

Cons

It's not as well organized as it could be. Things are growing quickly, and they need to hire more people. Hard to hire some people since we aren't Twitter or Facebook.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, provide more direction. There are a couple people who need to be placed in better roles. In general, some people need to be held more accountable.

A Solid, Growing Start-Up with a Great Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company has solid VC backings with a great team of people across the organization. The environment is relaxed, yet everyone is focused on doing the right things to help the company grow. This company is not one for those who like politics. It's for those who are willing to roll-up their sleeves and get the job done.

Cons

Since OpenDNS is a semi start-up, the business processes are unstructured.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and keep up the great momentum you're building. There is a solid opportunity here to build something great!

OpenDNS is a great company to work for

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenDNS is a growing company with a lot of opportunity for growth. This gives employees who are willing to work hard a chance at learning a lot and growing within the company. Good location, good people, good product. OpenDNS has created a working environment that encourages communication and team work. This gives a feeling that everyone is working hard for the same goal and not just out for themselves. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Cons

No cons, great place to work. Can't complain :)

Excellent company, extremely smart people, sky is the limit.

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are extremely good at what they do. I work with some of the brightest and most motivated in the industry. There's a true sense that what the company is not only important, but that it be important that we specifically are the best at it. And though people are very busy, everyone is generally approachable, polite and helpful. The office is amazing. And it's in a perfect location in SOMA.

Cons

It's a startup, which includes culture and work pace. Pay might be slightly lower than other more established companies. But you're investing in opportunity and a very up and coming company.

Advice to Management

Keep David as CEO, and continue finding ways to keep momentum going.

Our work matters.

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenDNS is a stable, profitable company that provides a valuable and necessary service to the internet community. Working here makes you feel like what you're doing has a positive impact on the world because you're dealing with a fundamental aspect of what makes the internet work, and you're also working for a business that has very strong ethics such that they won't use their product to enable state censorship or repression. The people who work here are all great to work with, and the company happy hours and free lunches are a nice touch. This is far and away the best work environment I've been a part of.

Cons

No workplace is perfect, and while this one is no exception the cons are few and minor. You're given the space here to solve problems that arise and management makes it clear that their doors are always open, something I have personally found to be the case. In short, if you have a problem here then you're probably not being very assertive in addressing it.

8. A geeky startup with a sense of humor, scale, and a great momentum

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Geeky technologies and peoples - low-level network programming, big data, mobile, webdev. Operating at the scale that most startups don't see in their dreams, tens of billions queries per day The management is more transparent and honest to the employees than most companies I know The mobile security industry doesn't even really exist yet, but is already ripe for disruption The orange color - swag I can wear!!!

Cons

Not much, really... people already mentioned "more organization" but then again there is a lot of awesomeness in not having the kind of rigid structure that the bigger companies are known for, especially when the employees are competent.

Advice to Management

Keep at it!

9. Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the greatest things about working at OpenDNS is the people. Everyone wants the company to succeed and everyone puts in the time time and effort to reach that goal. We're always raising our own bar. All that said, it's not a stressful environment. I've never found myself feeling like someone wasn't pulling their weight or doing their part. The only constant at OpenDNS is growth. The company is always innovating. We're never happy with what we have; it can always be better.

Cons

Depending on where you work in the company some on-call work might be required. No one enjoys it, but it is a shared responsibility that we take seriously. While the is only one person on-call, everyone is available to help them if needed. Look at that, a con turned pro.

10. Fast moving, brilliant startup filled with smart, dedicated people.

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome office perks. Amazing people to work with, many of whom are so smart it's intimidating. And you get a wide range of projects and work to take on, with the ability to choose your focus if you ask for it.

Cons

Not many. Work/life balance can be demanding at times. But hard work is always recognized. HR is a small, over

11. Growing company with tons of potential in the online security space

Current Employee - MSP Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - MSP Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OpenDNS has a great environment to work in. Employees are friendly and management is great. The CEO and VP of Sales are awesome and the company is on a great path with their leadership. Information is always flowing around here and everyone is always very helpful. Since the company is still relatively small, it's easy to make change that are necessary quickly.

Cons

Typical pains for a company growing rapidly, but working quickly to overcome them as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed