www.olf.com

Updated February 22, 2015
1.5

OpenLink Financial President & CEO Dr. Mark N. Greene
Dr. Mark N. Greene

Pros
  • Work life balance was good considering most people who work here already have established family (in 5 reviews)

• A company where you can learn a lot, they have clients in variety of industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No training, favoritism rules the company not people's potential, most of the people working here are looking for other jobs (in 5 reviews)

• Bad bonus structure and little to no annual raises company wide (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Not exciting

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are very nice and easy to work with

Cons

The work wasn't intellectually stimulating

Develop a internship program

Once a good company now start to fall apart

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Arguably still the market leader in the energy sector
    Diversified customer base
    Reasonable time-off policies
    Talk the talk

Cons

Incompetent management. Short sighted decisions without any long term plan. Quarter after quarter year after year come up with unrealistic and laughable targets but have no idea how to grow or even sustain the business.
    Selfish management. Downsizing at the beginning of each year now becomes a company tradition. Destroying values and morale without even being able to boost revenues for the short term.
    Company culture is deteriorating. Bad influence from the top. Favoritism and bootlicking now is the new norm. You say it is all about survival of the fittest I say it is called adverse selection.
    Unfortunately, no walk the walk

H&F gave you enough rope

Do not work for OpenLInk

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, only seems that way in the beginning

Cons

Zero Training, coworkers constantly try to undercut you, managemnt plays favoriites and you have to fight to get on projects and bonus is promised but not paid. In additon, new consulting policy is skewed to management, where 70% only pays 50%.

Become objective, put the people first and quit adding to middle management

All the Cons from previous reviews are true and some more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their Endur software is top notch and highly sought out in the ETRM industry. Having it on your resume will easily put you through many doors. The earning potential with this skill is top tier. You will be working with some of the brightest people in the industry.

Cons

If you're not close with the higher up good luck. They only care about themselves and will easily throw anyone under the bus and will take other people's credit. They charge their clients full price but end up letting unskilled interns do the work, easily pushing back deadlines.

After their first week new employees are tossed into the fire and expect to learn and know everything without any structured training or guidance. If you are unable to keep up be prepared to be swarmed and blasted in front of the office if you make any mistake.

Managers have poor communication with the team. They expect you to respond to all their messages, but don't bother reading yours. They have little or no outside life from work and expect you to do the same. You will lose count on the number of days you will be staying late. Often times it could have been avoided if there was clear planning and communication from the start.

There are however a few very bright people who are the sole reason the office is still afloat. Often times they will be doing work outside the scope if their roles. It is unfortunate they could easily be getting paid almost 2x of their salary at another company.

Change the culture of the office. Have the leaders lead by example rather than stepping and replacing the people under them. Prioritized structure, organization, and training for new employees. Utilize their skills and strengths rather than viewing them as additional labor.

Worst experience ever, it was like high school all over again

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After working in the Houston office for over 2 years I have been desensitized to bad working environments. I can now work in bad work conditions and it will not affect me emotionally any more. I grew personally and emotionally, but this is not something I recommend for sensitive people. You will get your feelings hurt in this place.

Cons

No training, Bad management decisions. The people who are supposed to lead (e.i managers, seniors) only watch their backs, and throw you under the bus when they are cornered. I learned to watch my back because of these people. This happens everywhere, in the office and in client sites. There is a sort of back-stabbing culture that encourages seniors to get newbies kicked off client projects and rewards the same seniors because they were not kicked off. This only builds their ego and creates personalities that thrive in the misery of others. I really despise working at this place.

Get rid of this "superstars/rockstar" culture and encourage employees to work like a team instead of a group of divas. These divas are causing you to have a bad reputation and lose revenue because getting people kicked off benefits their personal ago and hurts the company. Also, look into favoritism among management with their friends and family, it is more widespread than it appears.

You will not get credit for the work you do unless you are in the top of the food chain

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours when not on projects
    Excellent health insurance and other benefits
    Energy Experience looks very good on resume
    Stable employment if you keep a low profile

Cons

Favoritism rules the company.
    I struggled to get hired as full time from intern after I graduated. They will use every trick in the handbook to keep you from being full time. (probationary period, manager reviews, peer reviews, code reviews)
    I have noticed how people in the inner circle move from regular to senior to lead in less than a year. I have been a regular for 3 years now.
    Long hours when working on projects and the seniors and leads take all the credit for success but blame all the failures on their subordinates.
    Managers and directors behave like divas once they have achieve a higher status. Most of them are unqualified for the job. Some do not even posses a bachelors degree or experience.

Pay close attention to your company structure in Houston, if OpenLink was a country, I would label it as corrupt. Pay especially close attention to positions given to friends and family without substance behind them. There are at least 4 cases in Upper Management and the offenses happen even more often in lower-level positions.

Its hard to be happy at OpenLink right now

Current Employee - Sales Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, very cool people, substantial opportunities

Cons

pathetic management, no leadership, no vision

let the adults and the people with experience lead

This is company is not run by the brightest and the best.....

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* The general staff of the company are top notch, you can see that by all the competitors who are poaching our staff.
    * The products are superior to anything on the market
    * Great growth potential

Cons

* If you aren't in the 'inner circle' of the CEO, you are underpaid, overworked and unappreciated.
    * No salary increase last year, none expected this year and dismal bonuses.

We need new management. The current management team is interested in their own financial benefit only, they make millions while the rest of us earn pennies.

Great place to work initially but the company has taken a turn for the worse under the new CEO

Former Intern - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at OpenLink Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Consultants and Sales team get along well. You learn a lot.

Cons

Favoritism. A consultant usually takes the fall for a problem at the client site.

It won't do any good.

Good place to build experience...then quit and start to make some real money

Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at OpenLink Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Great intro into ETRM
    *Build and learn as much as you can within the application and the industry
    *Talk and network with experienced BAs to understand every level of the application from a business perspective
    *Stay with them for 3-5 years and you WILL make over $100k working for someone else. Definitely not here. But this is a great stepping stone for your career

Cons

For me, the pay was horrible. At first it seems alright until you open your eyes and realize how much money is in ETRM. Anyone who stays with Openlink for more than 5 years is either institutionalized or stupid.

Stop living in this inner circle of connected people who only advance. Stop letting managers hire friends and family, that extremely unprofessional and just plain weird. No other company would let you do that.

OpenLink Financial Photos