OpenTable

OpenTable Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2014

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Sales is old and out of touch

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for less than a year

Pros- Fantastic co-workers, lots of great talent across most departments
- Decent benefits
- Potential to travel for the job

Cons- Culture is very stiff. This is by no means a hip tech company. They work at this though.
- Old technology. Staff laptops for sales are cheap PCs and old iPads (no 3G/4G). Technology is pretty dated on the customer side as well, the only thing that keeps the company at the top of the market is its network of users and restaurants.
- Constant change. Within a few months of bringing me on they essentially decided to restructure the sales org. Bonuses were slashed and the commission structure was changed for the worse.

Advice to Senior Management- Innovate, do something new and don't take so long to roll it out.
- Decide what you are going to do and stick to it.

Automation Engineer

Automation Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTill now the company was built on old fashioned tech...., never gave good incentives to Engineering. With new CTO things are changing quickly....trying new technology and building new team.

ConsTolerance of under performed employees is very high.....it gives bad impression to the people who work hard.

Micromanagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary and location. Company I growing fast and stock is recovering back.

ConsAll the managers and directors have been there for almost 8-10 years and have not updated their technology skill set. They don't let their employees think on their own, but they influence how to get the task done and micromanage them, line-by-line code review.

There is no recognition or encouragement for the hard work or for the innovation. The foody awards are only given to sales and marketing people and very rarely given to engineering team.

The CTO is trying to build his own empire by firing current employees who disagrees with him and bringing his own people from his ex-company, so on one wants to propose any changes or disagrees with him.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the middle management in Engineering. There are lot of people mentioned about Micromanagement, but you have not taken any action, please listen to your current employees and understand their issues.

Start Up Attitude

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are good as well as the salary.
Rewarding career if you can by pass the drama/negative environment.
Young company and well known.

ConsTraining is poor and unorganized.
Management is lacking in supporting their employees. Never available.
Rules/Procedures are made up as we go and are ever changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a productive and health environment for their employees. Include in depth HR training such as sexual harassment, ethics and sensitivity.

Good stable company, but a bit outdated

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable as an intern for less than a year

ProsConvenient downtown location, good benefits

ConsOld technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive, not reactive within the market

OpenTable offered a competitive benefits package and professional work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable

Pros- Very bright and competent people
- Competitive benefits package
- High degree of professionalism
- Open communication from management

ConsCompany culture is a bit stiff. OpenTable is trying to be a fun Silicon Valley company, but this isn't felt across all departments and at times feels like it's forced.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement across the board could have offered a greater degree of support and guidance, especially for new hires in the first few months.

Great experience, valued employees and an opportunity to make a difference

Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable

ProsStrong growth opportunity with a company that delivers a great product and service. The company is very customer centric and customer retention is extremely high.

ConsCompany going so quickly and changes are made on a frequent basis

Potentially great company if you don't consider engineering management

Engineering Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable

Pros* Location is good - close to BART
* The stock was high - it could go there again
* They don't seem to care if you don't work long hours
* Most of the employees are cool and competent
* The company has a great market niche

Cons* The engineering VP rules by fear
* One of the engineering directors is the most inaccurate yet condescending person you will ever meet (i.e. he is frequently wrong but talks down to you even when you are right - it's quite amazing)
* You won't be trusted to think and do a your job without being micromanaged
* Favoritism is frequent and out of control
* You will be sacrificed to 'the bus' and demoted if a manager needs to lay blame on someone else (even if said manager was micromanaging you)
* The technology is about 10 years behind current times and no one in management is in a hurry to change that

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at your engineering management. Talk with the employees... people are unhappy and your engineering department is on a collision course with disaster. It's not too late to fix this but it's getting there. I'd suggest firing the top two (maybe three) tiers of engineering management and bringing someone in from outside that can get things done the right way. You have capable engineers and they aren't being given a chance to do great things for you.

Engineers receive no recognition or reward

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenTable

ProsInteresting work, conveniently located. That's about where it ends.

ConsAre you an engineer? Are you looking to use your talents to build great products, and receive recognition and reward for your hard work? Then you'd better look elsewhere. Go to Google, Facebook, or countless other technology companies which value their engineers. These
are fundamentally technology driven companies, OpenTable is a sales/marketing driven organization. Engineers are simply cogs in the wheel, and are easily replaceable in the eyes of management.

They just don't do performance-based compensation at all. Sure, management has received about $20 million each in stock option based compensation, but the rules are different for everyone else within the company. Even for the engineers who actually create the product that is making management so extraordinarily wealthy.

There is no individual recognition whatsoever, unless you make a mistake which costs the company money. Then they will hold an all hands meeting to place blame on the engineer who made the mistake. If you create a product which generates millions in revenue, not a word is said. There is no bonus structure at all. Work as hard as you possibly can, still no bonus. There is absolutely no incentive at all for hard work within this organization. You work your butt off and management gets rich, that's pretty much how it works around here.

There is no opportunity to advance within the Engineering department either. All the team leads have been there 6+ years and aren't going anywhere. Promotions and even recognition are not lacking in any other department within the company, but they are an extreme rarity within Engineering.

I want to reiterate to any talented engineers out there -- if you want to see your talents appreciated and rewarded, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the example of so many other technology companies -- ie Google, Facebook, Microsoft. Reward your top talent. Create a bonus incentive for performance. Give recognition to employees who deserve it. Stop giving the company's money away to management in the form of massive stock option grants, investors and the media are starting to take notice. It's really becoming excessive.

Recognition Lacking

I have been working at OpenTable

ProsAwesome people; relaxed environment; great location; company is successful

ConsAlmost no recognition at all; senior management never visits the regular folks (not once in 3 years); people who do badly get to stay; people who are gifted and do well are held back; raises are anemic; efforts to bring in leaders from other companies to talk about technology are actively blocked; using advanced technology is only recently allowed after a near mutiny; bizarre priorities and guidance out of step with business needs

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people, they happen to be pretty good; show some real recognition, not the lame stuff once a quarter; give raises that are more meaningful; be more supportive of using new technologies; actively promote from within, as getting promoted at OpenTable is far too difficult presently.

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!

OpenTable Videos

OpenTable – Why Work for Us?

"I love OpenTable!" That's what we hear when people find out where we work. And guess what? We love OpenTable, too. We love connecting diners with restaurants - and our enthusiastic team has made OpenTable the world's… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenTable reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by OpenTable employees.