OpenTable

Updated January 21, 2015
4.3

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

• Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It makes a huge difference to work with a group of people who are friendly, engaged, and ready to collaborate.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It feels like everyone wants to work towards making the company and it's mission more effective. The people are super friendly and there is a big emphasis on making workplace culture a warm and inviting environment.

Cons

Some people work very long hours, and there can be the underlying expectation that you need to be available regardless of day or time.

Good work, good People and good times.

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data).
    The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming.
    The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments.
    Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too.
    Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours)
    401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.

solid organization

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boulder, CO

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

office culture, benefits, work-life balance

Cons

personal growth and time off polocies

great compayn

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great company, great comp, and culture

Cons

very little room for promotion. growing pains

Party Party Party

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

lots of party, lots of fun stuff

Cons

Too much fun to concentrate the core of business? no process design, no communication channel, confusing procedure, no guideline, bias and lack of team building from management. If you figure it out how to act like them, you should be survived.

find company benchmark and open up communication channel.

Massive Exodus

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We built OpenTable into what it became. We, being a team of Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, Sales, Support Staff, Office Staff, etc. We loved the company and did our best to make it successful. That was an incredible team that succeeded in a major way. We were so proud when the company went public and watched the stock soar. It was sweet.

Cons

Something happened a couple years ago where the old guard was summarily dismissed, or encouraged to move on by treating good people badly. Stress, bickering, and managers yelling at employees in public increased, and people fled. The new engineering regime brought over their dozen or so cronies and even set them up with their own office in Southern California, away from the mother ship in San Francisco. Rather than learn about the existing culture at OpenTable, they imposed their own set of rules, values and skewed militaristic sense of what makes a good team. The engineering team was constantly reminded that the company was moving fast, and to keep up or get left behind. Older workers were jettisoned for younger workers, a clear sign of ageism.

You brought in new culture, and a new fancy office space all while destroying the old. So many loyal long time employees have left and are continuing to leave, and the feeling of pride we all had is slowly evaporating. What people tend to forget or ignore is that a dead fish rots from the head down.

Was it worth it?

Pretty good

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is doing lots of cool stuff

Cons

Not a lot of experience releasing new products

Experience at OpenTable

Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was working in the finance department, and basically I coordinated with operation team and sales team. The work load was heavy, and the work duties were a little bit tedious. Anyway, I feel it really depends on the work department you are in. The marketing department at the OpenTable is very good.

Cons

The office is very cool and a lot of entertainment space in it. The company often organized party, DIY breakfast, and happy hour.

My direct manager at that time was an asian american. We barely have communication of my work, only when I have got problem with work, then we would talk.

Fantastic culture

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great culture at the company, with a nice overlap between working hard to bring wonderful products to the world of dining and also having fun, with lots of free food and drinks and fun times together.

Cons

Recently bought by Priceline, so wondering what that will mean for the company. But all seems great so far. I think Priceline understands the value of the Opentable culture and will let it continue to flourish.

Continue to focus on developing peoples careers.

Great product, so it's pretty hard to mess up everything else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work-life balance
    -If you're on the right team, lots of autonomy
    -Great brand on your resume.

Cons

-Low pay. Left for a startup that's paying 1.5x more.
    -Internal politics.
    -Lack of talent. Not attracting the best and brightest.

Fix the politics!