OpenTable Reviews

68 reviews filtered by
4.2
OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

• Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good work, good People and good times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data).
    The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming.
    The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments.
    Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too.
    Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours)
    401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

Advice to Management

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.

2. Fun, laid back, lots of growth!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OpenTable is a fast growing company with a lot of really smart and innovative employees. It's a great place to work with a well-respected product in both the consumer and b2b space. OpenTable has a strong company culture with a great work-life balance and a lot of flexibility. People work very hard, but the office still feels laid back.

Cons

For a tech company with so much growth in San Francisco, the perks aren't quite competitive, which is partially why we have trouble hiring engineers. Free lunch would be nice...

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open; provide more clarity on career growth opportunities, including opportunities to move around internally and find the best fit role for the employee.

A company for foodies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

Culture and environment, Work-life balance, and Location

Cons

Undergoing lots of restructuring internally
    Not very competitive for comp and benefits

Powering great dining experiences... Just not for our employees.

I have been working at OpenTable (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, interesting and challenging work, fair compensation.

Cons

If you see a recruiting blurb that says "well-stocked kitchen", don't believe it. It's definitely a trap.

Advice to Management

Unappetizing, depressing snacks that run out at 2pm every day implies several things about our culture:
    - we don't value our people
    - we're cheap
    - you don't need to sweat the details to work here
    - we are unable to properly estimate how many people work in our office, or we don't care

6. Great Job, Top company in the business, just sold for 2.6 billion to Priceline.

Current Employee - Administration - Post Install Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Using Salesforce software, Job security. communication and operations run smooth for 13 million reservations per month and 3o,ooo very different need active customers, hardware software and complicated systems made easy for the client. its expensive and they make a good margin.

Cons

its expensive and they make a good margin. they lose to cheaper competitor often.

Advice to Management

They are doin it right. Its alot to hold on to and they do a good job trying to not let issues slip thru the cracks. competent staff ,QA, and administration. Keep doin what your doin.

Best Career Decision I've Made

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Company is definitely on the rise and growing. Talented and personable people working for strong leadership. Individual growth of the employee is valued by the company. Very accommodating work-life balance and tons of small perks to keep every day interesting.

Cons

Company is only getting larger, so if big companies are not your thing this may not be the best fit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Smart people, fun culture, awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my view the best kind of people to work with are big brain, small ego people who like to get stuff done and have fun doing it. This is definitely the OpenTable culture. People are nice but like to go after opportunities and results. Work hard/play hard culture. Solid compensation and benefits. Meritocracy environment where ideas that get resourced and launched are based on data and testing versus hierarchical decisions. Awesome office space, location and parties.

Cons

Too many goals at times. Sometimes it is better to pick one high level goal for the year and nail it. Loose performance management is quickly being replaced by a much more well organized approach. Limited training and development.

Advice to Management

Although it isn't always sexy, it is often best to nail it on the fundamentals first before investing a ton of resources on product feature bells and whistles. Fundamentals include things like site structure and geography.

Fun Company with a clear vision

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OpenTable really seems to value its workforce and continually looks for new ways to engage staff. They have a clear-cut vision and set of goals for growth.

Cons

During my time and since my time, the CEO keeps breaking up the operations department. He breaks it into pieces shuffling each component under a different VP. Then when a decrease in morale and productivity is noticed, he combines them back. Then breaks them up again. Across the org, though, there seem to be several exec changes that make it difficult to keep up.

Advice to Management

Promote managers and executives based on true performance toward future goals of the company instead of simply tenure or popularity.

10. Great Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had a really great culture, fun parties and events, great for foodies, free food and drinks as perks. People are smart and hardworking, encourages personal growth.

Cons

Big company, hard to build close relationships with people outside your team

Advice to Management

management cared about your well being and lets you explore different areas

It makes a huge difference to work with a group of people who are friendly, engaged, and ready to collaborate.

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It feels like everyone wants to work towards making the company and it's mission more effective. The people are super friendly and there is a big emphasis on making workplace culture a warm and inviting environment.

Cons

Some people work very long hours, and there can be the underlying expectation that you need to be available regardless of day or time.