OpenTable Reviews

Reset
4.4
OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • OpenTable offers a great work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• A lot of great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is by no means a hip tech company (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good work, good People and good times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data).
    The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming.
    The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments.
    Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too.
    Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours)
    401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

Advice to Management

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.

Great Company, great culture

Current Employee - Restaurant Operations Consultant
    Current Employee - Restaurant Operations Consultant

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Main thing I like about OpenTable is the culture and the people that work there. With every job there are people who are not your "favorites" but I've found for the most part that's the exception to the rule. Most of the people who work for OpenTable come from the same industry (restaurants and hospitality) so there is that common bond of experience.

Cons

There are times I've found that some departments don't fully realize or utilize the wealth of knowledge. Over the past few months this has gotten better, but it still needs some work.

Advice to Management

With the amount of restaurant and operations knowledge they have at their disposal, I still feel they need to tap into that more effectively.

3. Great Culture, Great People!

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OpenTable's company culture is its biggest attribute. A lot of companies boast "great culture" but OpenTable really delivers. From offering amazing opportunities to connect with other employees and learn more about our industry (I've gotten to ride snow mobiles, attend VIP culinary events, and have enjoyed countless team dinners at top tier restaurants) to making sure great leadership is in place at every level, OpenTable really walks the walk as far as culture.

I really believe that great culture and success at every level trickles down from the top and we have the greatest CEO and executive staff. I am a mid-level employee and I've gotten to meet and talk with all of the company leaders. How many people can say that? They are all down-to-earth and don't see themselves as "above" anyone. It's very much a "we're-all-in-this-together" mentality. People are rewarded on performance, sure, but also for providing solid customer service and coming together to make great changes.

Cons

I work in a smaller office and though we've grown a lot over the past few years, I wish it would speed up even more and there would be more opportunities for career growth without having to move to another city.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We really have great management at OpenTable. No, really!

5. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

Great work environment, no micro managing, can self direct, flexible schedules, stocked kitchen, beer fridge, commission pay generally reflects your efforts, good benefits and FUN people. Our team generally enjoys being around each other and are friends in and out of the office. When you have fun at work, it shows in your work.

Cons

Base pay could be a little higher

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. A company you can stand behind

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

The biggest thing for me is that OpenTable is a company I can stand behind. I love the culture, the values and the fact that we do business with integrity. This company is really fun, it is definitely work hard play hard. There is a lot of opportunity in various departments for advancement and there are definitely perks to working at OpenTable like getting to rub elbows with amazing Chefs and Restaurateurs and incentive trips for high performers. Personal fan of the PTO schedule and the benefits plan.

Cons

The biggest con I can point out is that salary increases are few and far between. Great company but it is really difficult to work so hard and not feel like you are being paid what you are worth. I think if that issue was solved, there would be no reason to ever look outside for opportunities.

7. Fantastic place to work!

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

The people here are amazing. The culture is great. Management and peers are supportive and always willing to help. It is busy busy busy here at OT, and we are really in an exciting time of growth. It is an extremely collaborative environment where people really care about the work and about each other. Great location, great benefits, and P&C is pushing out a lot of new programs. There is a good balance of work and fun and the space is beautiful. There are a ton of opportunities to ask for and take on work you want, and a lot of room to grow professionally.

Cons

401k match is low but RSUs make up for it. There are three floors in the SF office and not everyone knows everyone. it would be great to see people on different floors.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and supporting people in this time of growth.

8. Love the engineering culture!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of hard interesting engineering problems here - they are working on Mesos infra (on AWS), Spark cluster. The web teams use node.js. Most of the backend stuff is in Java/Scala - play framework/node/Clojure. They have some legacy code in C# but they are moving away from it (no one is really "porting" the code), teams are building new products which is replacing old products over time.

Cons

None for now, enjoy working here. Scale is not as massive compared to other consumer web companies in social media or web in terms of user data or activity. But its still fun to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep aiming for ambitious products!

9. I keep hoping things improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely great work-life balance, and I'm almost shocked to read other's who wrote that as a con. Most of the employees in SF have families and tend to leave around 6pm every day.

Almost all my colleagues are super friendly and great to work with. Plus, we're all foodies! I've never found so many great places to eat in the city than during my time here at OpenTable.

There's a lot of passion for making the best restaurant experience. Everyone from the bottom of the company really believes in the mission.

Cons

With that said, where do I begin with the cons? First off, the CEO is hardly around and makes bizarre low-level decisions without entrusting of his direct reports.

Another exec is completely out of touch with their org other than a couple projects that interest them. This makes communication a gigantic hurdle and employee promotions a struggle.

Another team came in from an acquisition with an *extremely* toxic employee who insults everyone around them causing stress and damaging to the culture and still manages to get praised by the exec team.

We have a very tiny budget for anything that increases employee happiness. Only a few employees have standing desks, and there's only a couple boxes of fruit for 400+ employees, and we share low quality Costco sugar snacks. The office manager does care about this problem, but there's little they can do given the unreasonable constraint on budget.

Advice to Management

Every quarter there's some new mission that's completely different from the last quarter. So ultimately there's just no long-term planning for the company. A company like OpenTable needs a 3 to 5 year plan of action, but instead we're always so focused on the now.

Communication between all the levels of the company is also extremely poor. I'm always amazed at how in the dark people are about very important things.

10. Senior Account Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, environment and people. Work from home.

Cons

Work from home also has its disadvantages such as not seeing co-workers as much as you would like. 401k is also not good.

Advice to Management

Great company to work for. I would say a better 401k would be preferred. More room for growth within the company would be great.

11. Great Company!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I know it is cliche, but the people are the best part of the job. At OpenTable there is a work life balance and a creative culture that welcomes feedback. There are opportunities to travel and try new things. If you like to eat, drink and enjoy an ever changing field in technology, OpenTable is the company for you.

Cons

OpenTable is constantly growing and innovating so if fast paced environment isn't your thing, this may not be a good fit. There is usually travel required and depending on your position or region, you may go long periods of time without seeing other OpenTable employees. If you need a team atmosphere there are positions where that is possible, however for a lot of us there is a lot of solo time.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to advance.

RSS Feed </> Embed