OpenTable Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.8

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

• Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is doing lots of cool stuff

Cons

Not a lot of experience releasing new products

Massive Exodus

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We built OpenTable into what it became. We, being a team of Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, Sales, Support Staff, Office Staff, etc. We loved the company and did our best to make it successful. That was an incredible team that succeeded in a major way. We were so proud when the company went public and watched the stock soar. It was sweet.

Cons

Something happened a couple years ago where the old guard was summarily dismissed, or encouraged to move on by treating good people badly. Stress, bickering, and managers yelling at employees in public increased, and people fled. The new engineering regime brought over their dozen or so cronies and even set them up with their own office in Southern California, away from the mother ship in San Francisco. Rather than learn about the existing culture at OpenTable, they imposed their own set of rules, values and skewed militaristic sense of what makes a good team. The engineering team was constantly reminded that the company was moving fast, and to keep up or get left behind. Older workers were jettisoned for younger workers, a clear sign of ageism.

You brought in new culture, and a new fancy office space all while destroying the old. So many loyal long time employees have left and are continuing to leave, and the feeling of pride we all had is slowly evaporating. What people tend to forget or ignore is that a dead fish rots from the head down.

Was it worth it?

Experience at OpenTable

Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was working in the finance department, and basically I coordinated with operation team and sales team. The work load was heavy, and the work duties were a little bit tedious. Anyway, I feel it really depends on the work department you are in. The marketing department at the OpenTable is very good.

Cons

The office is very cool and a lot of entertainment space in it. The company often organized party, DIY breakfast, and happy hour.

My direct manager at that time was an asian american. We barely have communication of my work, only when I have got problem with work, then we would talk.

Fantastic culture

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great culture at the company, with a nice overlap between working hard to bring wonderful products to the world of dining and also having fun, with lots of free food and drinks and fun times together.

Cons

Recently bought by Priceline, so wondering what that will mean for the company. But all seems great so far. I think Priceline understands the value of the Opentable culture and will let it continue to flourish.

Continue to focus on developing peoples careers.

Junior

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people

Cons

Base pay too low

Increase base pay to meet the cost of living in SF

Great product, so it's pretty hard to mess up everything else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work-life balance
    -If you're on the right team, lots of autonomy
    -Great brand on your resume.

Cons

-Low pay. Left for a startup that's paying 1.5x more.
    -Internal politics.
    -Lack of talent. Not attracting the best and brightest.

Fix the politics!

Turnover is thy name

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Nice people, nice location, decent holidays/time-off, some decent leadership at times, some growth but not much.

Cons

Lost the culture from top to bottom, this is now a marginal service for most. Bad support in UK and Europe.

Stiff, uptight people who lack creativity, but excellent compensation plan.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation and benefit plan for sales people is excellent. If corporate culture is not a concern and you are strictly motivated by money, this is probably a good place for you to work.

The product is excellent. Nothing in the market compares to it.

Sales quota and targets are achievable.

Cons

Extremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity. If corporate culture is important to you and you value working in an environment where creativity is encouraged and appreciated, this is not the place for you.

Sales managers pit salespeople against one another and encourage them to say negative things about each other. Be careful who you befriend, these reports go into your employee file and will likely be used against you later. Everyone out for themselves type of environment. It was like working on Celeb Apprentice every single day. Very hostile working environment.

Very quick to fire, so hit your targets or be fired. I always hit my targets, so I wasn't fired, but I saw this happen to a lot of people.

Hire more mature sales managers and do exit interviews.

Amazing people and company culture. Have high hopes for the future of the company

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed and fun work environment, great morale, work/life balance is superb. Tons of vacation time, management is always extremely understanding.

Cons

Benefits/compensation/perks needs to be better for a Bay Area tech company that is doing extremely well. There needs to be more transparency and structure to positions/promotions/raises and more emphasis on employee progress and career goals. Most people tend to leave due to better pay elsewhere or lack of or slow progression/promotions.

Please try to retain current employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Internal growth also needs to be stressed so that employees feel like they have a career here and are compelled to stay.

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.