OpenTable Reviews

66 reviews filtered by
4.2
OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

• Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good work, good People and good times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data).
    The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming.
    The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments.
    Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too.
    Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours)
    401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.

2. Great Job, Top company in the business, just sold for 2.6 billion to Priceline.

Current Employee - Administration - Post Install Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Using Salesforce software, Job security. communication and operations run smooth for 13 million reservations per month and 3o,ooo very different need active customers, hardware software and complicated systems made easy for the client. its expensive and they make a good margin.

Cons

its expensive and they make a good margin. they lose to cheaper competitor often.

They are doin it right. Its alot to hold on to and they do a good job trying to not let issues slip thru the cracks. competent staff ,QA, and administration. Keep doin what your doin.

3. Smart people, fun culture, awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my view the best kind of people to work with are big brain, small ego people who like to get stuff done and have fun doing it. This is definitely the OpenTable culture. People are nice but like to go after opportunities and results. Work hard/play hard culture. Solid compensation and benefits. Meritocracy environment where ideas that get resourced and launched are based on data and testing versus hierarchical decisions. Awesome office space, location and parties.

Cons

Too many goals at times. Sometimes it is better to pick one high level goal for the year and nail it. Loose performance management is quickly being replaced by a much more well organized approach. Limited training and development.

Although it isn't always sexy, it is often best to nail it on the fundamentals first before investing a ton of resources on product feature bells and whistles. Fundamentals include things like site structure and geography.

Best Career Decision I've Made

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Company is definitely on the rise and growing. Talented and personable people working for strong leadership. Individual growth of the employee is valued by the company. Very accommodating work-life balance and tons of small perks to keep every day interesting.

Cons

Company is only getting larger, so if big companies are not your thing this may not be the best fit.

Keep up the good work.

6. If you have the opportunity to work for OpenTable, take it.

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good product, great people and a company that's always striving to improve. Solid selection of benefits. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Some growing pains as the company adjusts to accommodate expansion.

Continue to invest in acquiring and keeping the best talent.

It makes a huge difference to work with a group of people who are friendly, engaged, and ready to collaborate.

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It feels like everyone wants to work towards making the company and it's mission more effective. The people are super friendly and there is a big emphasis on making workplace culture a warm and inviting environment.

Cons

Some people work very long hours, and there can be the underlying expectation that you need to be available regardless of day or time.

8. Great hiring experience, fantastic culture and exciting growth plans

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

OpenTable has a great culture and the working environment is great fun working with really smart people every day. The technology is market-leading and with the recent acquisition by Priceline Group, OpenTable is benefiting from investment and strategy for growth which is really exciting. Work life balance is very good, time differences between London and San Francisco are never easy, however there is a genuine appreciation of people's personal time.

Cons

A few internal processes can be a bit clunky, however the business is still nimble enough to be able to influence and change anything that needs fixing.

Keep doing what you're doing to ensure the great OpenTable culture helps drive engagement and success as we grow and expand into new markets.

9. great compayn

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great company, great comp, and culture

Cons

very little room for promotion. growing pains

Very positive experience during my 3+ years there. Cares deeply about their employees, product, and clients.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at OT. A lot of great people to work with. I feel very strongly about the stability of OpenTable. Beautiful office in a great location for arriving, leaving, eating, drinking, and dining.

Cons

I can't name many cons. Compensation could be better, but I thought it was fair. There could be a little more transparent between departments.

Keep it up.

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.