OpenTable Reviews

Reset
4.5
OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • OpenTable offers a great work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• A lot of great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is by no means a hip tech company (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good work, good People and good times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data). The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming. The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments. Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too. Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours) 401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

Advice to Management

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.

2. Excellent place to work

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The culture is wonderful. Employees are respectful of one another and always willing to help out when needed. While we may not get free lunch, we do get an endless supply of snacks and soda (please don't take the soda away!). I don't mind not getting free lunch. This makes me go outside and try the delicious places around the Financial District.

Cons

Would be great to have benefits that align with our restaurants. Like vouchers to go out to eat!

Aug 31, 2015 – People & Culture

Thanks for your review. We’re happy to hear you love our collaborative culture. Our team is always looking into exciting perks so we appreciate your suggestion, and don’t worry – the soda isn’t going ... More

3. Engineering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast pace company, a lot of learnings

Cons

You can do many tasks and responsibilities but no title and compensation changing

5. Restaurant Relations Manager

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Benefits, equity, fair salary & bonus, work from home, monthly allowances/expenses (cell phone, internet, gas mileage, parking, etc.), build your own schedule.

Cons

Recognition from upper management, unclear goals in particular role at times

Advice to Management

Use feedback from employees to construct goals and company practices

6. Fun company!

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and great people.

Cons

Company is going through a lot of changes right now. Sometimes things feel disorganized.

Advice to Management

Improve communication across departments. Keep hiring great people, as we have a good team going.

Aug 23, 2015 – People & Culture

Thanks for leaving us a review. Our culture is one of the things we value most about our company so this is great to hear! We appreciate your advice to management and are working to create better ... More

7. The best career move I have ever made!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros to working for OpenTable. The opportunity to work with some of the best, talented, and knowledgeable hospitality professionals makes the workspace enjoyable and gratifying. In addition, OpenTable offers upward mobility, career growth, international expansion, all with a Team of people that serve the same purpose.

Cons

We are growing so fast, you have to dedicate a portion of your day to keep up!

Advice to Management

Listen to your field, we are your eyes and ears of the business.

Aug 25, 2015 – People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you are growing your career with us. We are definitely growing fast and know it can be hard to keep up! It’s great to hear the things you love about ... More

great culture, talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable (Less than a year)

Pros

I love telling people I work for OpenTable. Most people tell me they love OpenTable, and they use it all the time. I work with some extremely smart people who challenge me every day. There's plenty of opportunity for growth at this company, and even offer valuable tools to help guide you along your career path. I never feel left in the dark as communication and transparency at this company are highly valued. The people at this company are professional, easy-going, intelligent, innovative, and hilarious.

Cons

As far as I'm aware, our bonuses are in the form of RSU's. There are no extra bonuses on top of that. However, the RSU's are fair, in my opinion. In terms of salary, I can only speak to my own, but I believe for the amount of work I put in I should be compensated more than what I'm receiving as of now. This company pays based off of market salary (and they put in a whole lot of research in order to pay their employees fairly), but I believe going above and beyond and showing extreme dedication to your work should be honored.

9. Great people

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The group of people are some of the best you will come across. The job is not without challenges, but is fun (must dine out often to become a trusted expert) and the people make it all worth while.

Cons

Once the company became public, the dynamic changed a bit. There was considerably more pressure for results, and it became challenging to continue to expand at that pace. Good problems!

10. A great company to work for

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

The culture at OpenTable is one that other companies often try to imitate but fail to do so, OpenTable has an organic culture where employees are absolutely engaged, work hard are committed yet are rewarded and looked after extremely well. There really is a work hard, play hard ethic. Senior management share their vision with staff and engage them in the same philosophy - this transparent culture gets all staff motivated and hungry to contribute and succeed. Despite being part of the larger Priceline group and being 17 years old, OpenTable still maintains that hungry, .com start-up feel to it. It's exciting, fast paced and everybody feels they are part of something big.

Cons

Honestly? I can't think of any!

11. Great Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

Pros

Positive work environment, above average pay for London, great products and innovative, strong management team.

Cons

Holiday time could be improved. It seems below average for EU standards.

RSS Feed </> Embed