OpenTable

OpenTable Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2014

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Stiff, uptight people who lack creativity, but excellent compensation plan.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

ProsThe compensation and benefit plan for sales people is excellent. If corporate culture is not a concern and you are strictly motivated by money, this is probably a good place for you to work.

The product is excellent. Nothing in the market compares to it.

Sales quota and targets are achievable.

ConsExtremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity. If corporate culture is important to you and you value working in an environment where creativity is encouraged and appreciated, this is not the place for you.

Sales managers pit salespeople against one another and encourage them to say negative things about each other. Be careful who you befriend, these reports go into your employee file and will likely be used against you later. Everyone out for themselves type of environment. It was like working on Celeb Apprentice every single day. Very hostile working environment.

Very quick to fire, so hit your targets or be fired. I always hit my targets, so I wasn't fired, but I saw this happen to a lot of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more mature sales managers and do exit interviews.

Amazing people and company culture. Have high hopes for the future of the company

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelaxed and fun work environment, great morale, work/life balance is superb. Tons of vacation time, management is always extremely understanding.

ConsBenefits/compensation/perks needs to be better for a Bay Area tech company that is doing extremely well. There needs to be more transparency and structure to positions/promotions/raises and more emphasis on employee progress and career goals. Most people tend to leave due to better pay elsewhere or lack of or slow progression/promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to retain current employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Internal growth also needs to be stressed so that employees feel like they have a career here and are compelled to stay.

Interdepartmental Discord

I have been working at OpenTable

ProsDining and restaurants is fun; a lot of the people are great. There is momentum towards creating a better user experience (sorely needed).

ConsThe company is torn between competing priorities. Different departments have different objectives that are not in line with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolve the interdepartmental issues. Communicate an overarching product vision that drives the company.

Best people I've worked with

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat people; great culture; great work/life balance; great vision for innovation in the hospitality space

ConsCommunication from senior management could be improved, as well as comp/benefits

Very positive experience during my 3+ years there. Cares deeply about their employees, product, and clients.

Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI thoroughly enjoyed my time at OT. A lot of great people to work with. I feel very strongly about the stability of OpenTable. Beautiful office in a great location for arriving, leaving, eating, drinking, and dining.

ConsI can't name many cons. Compensation could be better, but I thought it was fair. There could be a little more transparent between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

ConsStill in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

The best place I have ever worked !

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable

ProsAmazing company culture. They care about their employees. They care about their customers. What else could you ask for?

ConsI can't think of one thing to complain about. I left the company for personal reasons.

Company on the way up

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

ProsGreat people, tons of improvements. getting better each quarter

ConsNot a lot of room for upward growth. Will hopefully change as company grows.

Previously resting on laurels, finally innovation is taking root

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 5 years

Prosno politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings

Conseverything is important so nothing takes priority

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat product, fantastic people to work with, strong executive team.

ConsNot competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company.

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!

OpenTable Videos

OpenTable – Why Work for Us?

"I love OpenTable!" That's what we hear when people find out where we work. And guess what? We love OpenTable, too. We love connecting diners with restaurants - and our enthusiastic team has made OpenTable the world's… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenTable reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by OpenTable employees.