OpenTable Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Passionate about food? Love building relationships?

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Come join our team! I've been an employee for over 10+ years now, and I've yet to have a dull moment at work. Even as a remote employee the communication level has been on par as to if I was work in corporate. We have a great culture, with a team dedicated from top-down in leading with innovation in internal and external products, employee development, and ideas sharing. Every year we have many social events that bring employees together from around the world were we learn, share, suggest on new ways to advance our organization into the future. Oh and we have lots of fun while doing so. On a daily basis I get to meet new restaurant people, and I think they are the glue to our economy and are probably the hardest working people in any industry. Come and be a part in a company that has great technology, great people and great food for an ultimate well rounded employee experience.

Cons

Career advancement for a remote employee could be quicker

2. OpenTable is Passionate and Inspired

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

I've never worked for a better company. The culture and people we work with, the industry we serve, and the constant forward motion makes OpenTable a special career opportunity. I believe I'm constantly growing and learning professionally, and the leadership, top down, is inspired and driven. The company has a strong ethos of doing what's right for employees, consumers, and our restaurant partners while making smart and focused business decisions. It's an amazing place to push your career. OpenTable is also a very fun place to work! Company parties, events, off-sites, competitions, and accolades keep us motivated and growing. Lastly, OpenTable is as interested in personal growth as my professional growth and respects the work-life balance which is important to me. I consider myself very fortunate to have landed at OpenTable!

Cons

Is a company that is too much fun a negative? :)

3. Great people, great products, but needs work

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The people here rock! Very intelligent people here who are always willing to share what they know with you. Some managers make an effort to and take pride in developing their direct reports. You get lots of opportunities to learn about and engage with different teams across the company (e.g., engineering, finance, marketing) and see how all these teams combined make OpenTable function. Great company culture - people are easy to get along with, which helps to forge great relationships.

Cons

Outdated & Old Systems: The company has grown rapidly over the past couple years. Management has prioritized growth on the front end, but has provided very little support to back end employees, who are critical to OpenTable's day to day function. The inefficiencies that old systems present make it hard for back end employees to do their jobs. Management does not seem to be sensitive of their needs.
    Compensation / Benefits / Perks: No cool perks compared to other tech companies. Compensation and benefits are not competitive to market or other tech companies, even though the company advertises itself as such. Bonuses are only given to certain teams when other teams equally deserve them. Only senior managers and executive staff members seem to get promotions. This makes a lot of hard working employees with great talent feel unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Keep the growth momentum going, but be sensitive of how this can negatively impact current employees (e.g., overloading employees with more work without providing the proper tools; not rewarding employees to take on more responsibilities as a result of company growth)

5. Review of sales

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Good perks, not micro managed. Hit your numbers and they leave you alone.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for growth. Management is clicky

6. Fun, laid back, lots of growth!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OpenTable is a fast growing company with a lot of really smart and innovative employees. It's a great place to work with a well-respected product in both the consumer and b2b space. OpenTable has a strong company culture with a great work-life balance and a lot of flexibility. People work very hard, but the office still feels laid back.

Cons

For a tech company with so much growth in San Francisco, the perks aren't quite competitive, which is partially why we have trouble hiring engineers. Free lunch would be nice...

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open; provide more clarity on career growth opportunities, including opportunities to move around internally and find the best fit role for the employee.

7. Sales

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Lots of wining & dining... Trips to headquarters in San Francisco & Boulder.

Cons

Difficult to bring in new business depending on the location. Money is ok.

A company for foodies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

Culture and environment, Work-life balance, and Location

Cons

Undergoing lots of restructuring internally
    Not very competitive for comp and benefits

Powering great dining experiences... Just not for our employees.

I have been working at OpenTable (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, interesting and challenging work, fair compensation.

Cons

If you see a recruiting blurb that says "well-stocked kitchen", don't believe it. It's definitely a trap.

Advice to Management

Unappetizing, depressing snacks that run out at 2pm every day implies several things about our culture:
    - we don't value our people
    - we're cheap
    - you don't need to sweat the details to work here
    - we are unable to properly estimate how many people work in our office, or we don't care

10. Great Job, Top company in the business, just sold for 2.6 billion to Priceline.

Current Employee - Administration - Post Install Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Using Salesforce software, Job security. communication and operations run smooth for 13 million reservations per month and 3o,ooo very different need active customers, hardware software and complicated systems made easy for the client. its expensive and they make a good margin.

Cons

its expensive and they make a good margin. they lose to cheaper competitor often.

Advice to Management

They are doin it right. Its alot to hold on to and they do a good job trying to not let issues slip thru the cracks. competent staff ,QA, and administration. Keep doin what your doin.

Best Career Decision I've Made

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Company is definitely on the rise and growing. Talented and personable people working for strong leadership. Individual growth of the employee is valued by the company. Very accommodating work-life balance and tons of small perks to keep every day interesting.

Cons

Company is only getting larger, so if big companies are not your thing this may not be the best fit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed