OpenTable

Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

• Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing people and company culture. Have high hopes for the future of the company

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed and fun work environment, great morale, work/life balance is superb. Tons of vacation time, management is always extremely understanding.

Cons

Benefits/compensation/perks needs to be better for a Bay Area tech company that is doing extremely well. There needs to be more transparency and structure to positions/promotions/raises and more emphasis on employee progress and career goals. Most people tend to leave due to better pay elsewhere or lack of or slow progression/promotions.

Please try to retain current employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Internal growth also needs to be stressed so that employees feel like they have a career here and are compelled to stay.

Stiff, uptight people who lack creativity, but excellent compensation plan.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation and benefit plan for sales people is excellent. If corporate culture is not a concern and you are strictly motivated by money, this is probably a good place for you to work.

The product is excellent. Nothing in the market compares to it.

Sales quota and targets are achievable.

Cons

Extremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity. If corporate culture is important to you and you value working in an environment where creativity is encouraged and appreciated, this is not the place for you.

Sales managers pit salespeople against one another and encourage them to say negative things about each other. Be careful who you befriend, these reports go into your employee file and will likely be used against you later. Everyone out for themselves type of environment. It was like working on Celeb Apprentice every single day. Very hostile working environment.

Very quick to fire, so hit your targets or be fired. I always hit my targets, so I wasn't fired, but I saw this happen to a lot of people.

Hire more mature sales managers and do exit interviews.

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

Best people I've worked with

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people; great culture; great work/life balance; great vision for innovation in the hospitality space

Cons

Communication from senior management could be improved, as well as comp/benefits

The best place I have ever worked !

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Amazing company culture. They care about their employees. They care about their customers. What else could you ask for?

Cons

I can't think of one thing to complain about. I left the company for personal reasons.

Very positive experience during my 3+ years there. Cares deeply about their employees, product, and clients.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at OT. A lot of great people to work with. I feel very strongly about the stability of OpenTable. Beautiful office in a great location for arriving, leaving, eating, drinking, and dining.

Cons

I can't name many cons. Compensation could be better, but I thought it was fair. There could be a little more transparent between departments.

Keep it up.

Interdepartmental Discord

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

Dining and restaurants is fun; a lot of the people are great. There is momentum towards creating a better user experience (sorely needed).

Cons

The company is torn between competing priorities. Different departments have different objectives that are not in line with each other.

Solve the interdepartmental issues. Communicate an overarching product vision that drives the company.

Company on the way up

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Great people, tons of improvements. getting better each quarter

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward growth. Will hopefully change as company grows.

Previously resting on laurels, finally innovation is taking root

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings

Cons

everything is important so nothing takes priority

Great changes this year

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the last 12 months. We're changing everything about how we build software, for the better IMO. It came at the right time for me, I'm being challenged much more than I used to be.

While not perfect, engineering concerns now take a much higher priority than before. We're moving away from a .net walled garden to a multi-platform distributed stack - some node.js, rails, also java in addition to C#. Also getting our build & deploy house in order, working towards continuous delivery.

Cons

Change doesn't come easy, I guess. We seem to make progress in waves, but still get held up with manual processes, particularly in ops. But it is getting better. Puppet and Chef are starting to make life easier there.

Overall things are going well. I'd say they should put more consistent energy in these changes.