OpenTable

Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

Pros
  • no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings (in 6 reviews)

• Public company, stock options, opportunity for growth, great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old technology base, undergoing lots of restructuring (in 3 reviews)

• Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product, fantastic people to work with, strong executive team.

Cons

Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company.

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at OpenTable

Pros

Great people, constant innovation, awesome office

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

Summer intern at Opentable London

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Travel + amazing opportunities, helpful mentors.

Cons

Not many to be honest.

wonderful!

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fun job, get to meet some fantastic Chef's, cool people to work with. Great benefits, received stock shares based on performance, got to travel domestically and internationally.

Cons

Some sales managers can be very intense, sales quota is raised consistently to the point where it sometimes feels impossible to reach, commission retraction for lost sales, a few people on leadership team can be a bit dramatic and have chip on shoulders. There definitely is a "in" crowd with upper management so if you are not in that "in" crowd you might as well forget about growing within the company. There is one female there that is based in Colorado that is awful to work with. The company use to be a great place to work at before they went public now the culture has changed.

The Question is where do you go now?

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun company, great tool for restaurant owners.

Cons

Has been around for over 10 years now and mainstream America still doesn't know it exists. Saturated markets. There are a finite amount of reservation taking restaurants.

You need to get into wait listing.

As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

Cons

Teams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Keep it up.

big changes within past year have put OPEN on track to become a top-tier software employer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent upper management, brand new custom-designed workspace at marquis address (1 Montgomery), diverse workforce ( age, gender, race ), relaxed attitude towards dress and working hours, close association with restaurant industry, good parties, technology stack rapidly being modernized, good cross-section of technologies ( .net , ruby , mobile/java , some open-source mongodb, node.js, devops ), positive optimistic culture and attitude towards future, stock has potential to meet or exceed old highs, company is generally liked on Wall Street.

Cons

Only average middle engineering management, somewhat below average salaries in current environment, no bonus structure other than standard stock grant vest over 4 years at onset of employment, poor pre-existing technology, somewhat cramped & noisy open workspace can be distracting at times, business side overemphasized in importance and has too much power ( a lot of their ideas are obvious - no geniuses on the b-side ), long hours necessary to meet management expectations.

Need to institute a real merit-based bonus-structure, need to offer new employees more opportunities for advancement, need to establish metrics to objectively rate employee performance ( Facebook style ) , too much emphasis on reviews by immediate manager, too much of prior status-quo remains, might need to further restructure middle management, techs continually told to move faster but murky as to where real issues originate.

Great working environment

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OpenTable offers a great work/life balance. The company also hires wonderful people who are a joy to work with. I've never felt so valued as I have at this company.

Cons

They are a bit behind on pay however that has been improving over the past year or two. The company also tends to move more slowly than what is needed to keep up with their competition. Hopefully that will improve as well.

Spend the money to take care of our existing customers as well as to create cloud-based technology that blows away the competition.

Good Company. Not the right fit.

Former Employee - Sales in Calif City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Calif City, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice environment and nice people. At the time I was there all of the management was accessible. Compensation was fair and they were continuing to grow.

Cons

It didn't seem like there was much of an opportunity for upward mobility because of the size of the company. They may have already addressed this but there also didn't seem to be a clear direction on marketing and account management.

Stuffy, Anti-Creative Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent earning potential, great base, great commission opportunities
    Advancement opportunities, they do promote from within
    Very competitive benefits and time-off package

Cons

I was in sales as an account executive.

This was the worst job of my life. I have worked for several tech companies (from start-ups to Fortune 500's); and with the exception of Opentable, they were all truly amazing experiences.

OpenTable claims to hire "challengers", but the people they actually hire are just plain rude. They're motto "If you're not being thrown out of a meeting at least once a week, you're not doing it right". While this type of attitude may work in some markets, it does not work in all parts of the country, sales styles need to be adjusted to to the corresponding market and to the person or people to whom you are presenting.

The company pits salespeople against each other. Healthy competition is a great thing in sales, but this is not what OpenTable does. They encourage sales people to say negative things about one another. This information then goes into the employee's file, to be used against them if necessary in the firing process.

Be prepared to hit your goals or be fired within 60 days. Period. They rule by fear and as opposed to working with team members to help them reach their full potential, OpenTable is very quick to fire.

Fortunately, I was not fired. I put in my year and got out as soon as I could.

Allow your sales team to use their creative, analytical and decision making skills to sell. You hired them because they have a proven track record of being top performers. Let them sell. And take that stick out of your butts.