OpenTable Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.9

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great product, so it's pretty hard to mess up everything else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great work-life balance
    -If you're on the right team, lots of autonomy
    -Great brand on your resume.

Cons

-Low pay. Left for a startup that's paying 1.5x more.
    -Internal politics.
    -Lack of talent. Not attracting the best and brightest.

Fix the politics!

Experience at OpenTable

Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Order Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was working in the finance department, and basically I coordinated with operation team and sales team. The work load was heavy, and the work duties were a little bit tedious. Anyway, I feel it really depends on the work department you are in. The marketing department at the OpenTable is very good.

Cons

The office is very cool and a lot of entertainment space in it. The company often organized party, DIY breakfast, and happy hour.

My direct manager at that time was an asian american. We barely have communication of my work, only when I have got problem with work, then we would talk.

Amazing people and company culture. Have high hopes for the future of the company

Current Employee - Finance  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed and fun work environment, great morale, work/life balance is superb. Tons of vacation time, management is always extremely understanding.

Cons

Benefits/compensation/perks needs to be better for a Bay Area tech company that is doing extremely well. There needs to be more transparency and structure to positions/promotions/raises and more emphasis on employee progress and career goals. Most people tend to leave due to better pay elsewhere or lack of or slow progression/promotions.

Please try to retain current employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Internal growth also needs to be stressed so that employees feel like they have a career here and are compelled to stay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

Best people I've worked with

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people; great culture; great work/life balance; great vision for innovation in the hospitality space

Cons

Communication from senior management could be improved, as well as comp/benefits

Previously resting on laurels, finally innovation is taking root

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

no politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings

Cons

everything is important so nothing takes priority

Great changes this year

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the last 12 months. We're changing everything about how we build software, for the better IMO. It came at the right time for me, I'm being challenged much more than I used to be.

While not perfect, engineering concerns now take a much higher priority than before. We're moving away from a .net walled garden to a multi-platform distributed stack - some node.js, rails, also java in addition to C#. Also getting our build & deploy house in order, working towards continuous delivery.

Cons

Change doesn't come easy, I guess. We seem to make progress in waves, but still get held up with manual processes, particularly in ops. But it is getting better. Puppet and Chef are starting to make life easier there.

Overall things are going well. I'd say they should put more consistent energy in these changes.

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, fantastic people to work with, strong executive team.

Cons

Not competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company.

big changes within past year have put OPEN on track to become a top-tier software employer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent upper management, brand new custom-designed workspace at marquis address (1 Montgomery), diverse workforce ( age, gender, race ), relaxed attitude towards dress and working hours, close association with restaurant industry, good parties, technology stack rapidly being modernized, good cross-section of technologies ( .net , ruby , mobile/java , some open-source mongodb, node.js, devops ), positive optimistic culture and attitude towards future, stock has potential to meet or exceed old highs, company is generally liked on Wall Street.

Cons

Only average middle engineering management, somewhat below average salaries in current environment, no bonus structure other than standard stock grant vest over 4 years at onset of employment, poor pre-existing technology, somewhat cramped & noisy open workspace can be distracting at times, business side overemphasized in importance and has too much power ( a lot of their ideas are obvious - no geniuses on the b-side ), long hours necessary to meet management expectations.

Need to institute a real merit-based bonus-structure, need to offer new employees more opportunities for advancement, need to establish metrics to objectively rate employee performance ( Facebook style ) , too much emphasis on reviews by immediate manager, too much of prior status-quo remains, might need to further restructure middle management, techs continually told to move faster but murky as to where real issues originate.

As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation

Current Employee - Automation Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

Cons

Teams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Keep it up.

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!