OpenTable

Updated May 26, 2014

OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great product, so it's pretty hard to mess up everything else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros-Great work-life balance
    -If you're on the right team, lots of autonomy
    -Great brand on your resume.

Cons-Low pay. Left for a startup that's paying 1.5x more.
    -Internal politics.
    -Lack of talent. Not attracting the best and brightest.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the politics!

Amazing people and company culture. Have high hopes for the future of the company

Finance (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsRelaxed and fun work environment, great morale, work/life balance is superb. Tons of vacation time, management is always extremely understanding.

ConsBenefits/compensation/perks needs to be better for a Bay Area tech company that is doing extremely well. There needs to be more transparency and structure to positions/promotions/raises and more emphasis on employee progress and career goals. Most people tend to leave due to better pay elsewhere or lack of or slow progression/promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to retain current employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Internal growth also needs to be stressed so that employees feel like they have a career here and are compelled to stay.

Great place to work and headed in a great direction

San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

ConsStill in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best people I've worked with

San Francisco, CA

Prosgreat people; great culture; great work/life balance; great vision for innovation in the hospitality space

ConsCommunication from senior management could be improved, as well as comp/benefits

Previously resting on laurels, finally innovation is taking root

San Francisco, CA

Prosno politics, great work/life balance, awesome potential for upcoming offerings

Conseverything is important so nothing takes priority

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat product, fantastic people to work with, strong executive team.

ConsNot competitive for comp and benefits for bay area tech company.

Great changes this year

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere have been a lot of changes in the last 12 months. We're changing everything about how we build software, for the better IMO. It came at the right time for me, I'm being challenged much more than I used to be.

While not perfect, engineering concerns now take a much higher priority than before. We're moving away from a .net walled garden to a multi-platform distributed stack - some node.js, rails, also java in addition to C#. Also getting our build & deploy house in order, working towards continuous delivery.

ConsChange doesn't come easy, I guess. We seem to make progress in waves, but still get held up with manual processes, particularly in ops. But it is getting better. Puppet and Chef are starting to make life easier there.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall things are going well. I'd say they should put more consistent energy in these changes.

big changes within past year have put OPEN on track to become a top-tier software employer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent upper management, brand new custom-designed workspace at marquis address (1 Montgomery), diverse workforce ( age, gender, race ), relaxed attitude towards dress and working hours, close association with restaurant industry, good parties, technology stack rapidly being modernized, good cross-section of technologies ( .net , ruby , mobile/java , some open-source mongodb, node.js, devops ), positive optimistic culture and attitude towards future, stock has potential to meet or exceed old highs, company is generally liked on Wall Street.

ConsOnly average middle engineering management, somewhat below average salaries in current environment, no bonus structure other than standard stock grant vest over 4 years at onset of employment, poor pre-existing technology, somewhat cramped & noisy open workspace can be distracting at times, business side overemphasized in importance and has too much power ( a lot of their ideas are obvious - no geniuses on the b-side ), long hours necessary to meet management expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to institute a real merit-based bonus-structure, need to offer new employees more opportunities for advancement, need to establish metrics to objectively rate employee performance ( Facebook style ) , too much emphasis on reviews by immediate manager, too much of prior status-quo remains, might need to further restructure middle management, techs continually told to move faster but murky as to where real issues originate.

As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation

Automation Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

ConsTeams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Stuffy, Anti-Creative Corporate Culture

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent earning potential, great base, great commission opportunities
    Advancement opportunities, they do promote from within
    Very competitive benefits and time-off package

ConsI was in sales as an account executive.

This was the worst job of my life. I have worked for several tech companies (from start-ups to Fortune 500's); and with the exception of Opentable, they were all truly amazing experiences.

OpenTable claims to hire "challengers", but the people they actually hire are just plain rude. They're motto "If you're not being thrown out of a meeting at least once a week, you're not doing it right". While this type of attitude may work in some markets, it does not work in all parts of the country, sales styles need to be adjusted to to the corresponding market and to the person or people to whom you are presenting.

The company pits salespeople against each other. Healthy competition is a great thing in sales, but this is not what OpenTable does. They encourage sales people to say negative things about one another. This information then goes into the employee's file, to be used against them if necessary in the firing process.

Be prepared to hit your goals or be fired within 60 days. Period. They rule by fear and as opposed to working with team members to help them reach their full potential, OpenTable is very quick to fire.

Fortunately, I was not fired. I put in my year and got out as soon as I could.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your sales team to use their creative, analytical and decision making skills to sell. You hired them because they have a proven track record of being top performers. Let them sell. And take that stick out of your butts.

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!

OpenTable Videos

OpenTable – Why Work for Us?

"I love OpenTable!" That's what we hear when people find out where we work. And guess what? We love OpenTable, too. We love connecting diners with restaurants - and our enthusiastic team has made OpenTable the world's… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenTable reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OpenTable CEO Matthew Roberts. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by OpenTable employees.