OpenText

OpenText Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea

Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues(in 45 reviews)

• The work environment is one of the best I have experienced(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management(in 13 reviews)

• Seeing some sudden change in direction from upper management(in 11 reviews)

Senior Account Executive

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood solutions, leader in the space, benefits, 3 weeks vacation, base pay, great customers, interesting solutions, great partnership with SAP,

ConsForecast calls twice a week on Thursday and Friday. No equity . Low growth organization with a start up comp plan. Harass you on you vacation day to join weekly forecast meetings. Leads non existent

Advice to Senior ManagementSix on-site meetings week is not enough. Perhaps we should shoot for 20 meetings. You just don't get it.

Good company so far

ProsWe were recently acquired by OT so I don't have a lot of details. The culture seems nice and the people I've worked with are very friendly.

ConsNone so far. The transitioning of systems is a bit of a challenge but I don't mind. It keeps my day to day interesting,

Advice to Senior ManagementFor now I would say I'm to new to this company to be giving management advice.

Good company - great colleagues

ProsDespite being a med-large company, you still get recognized with gifts and mementos for your work Anniversary, birthdays big personal events in your life. Additionally , most of the people I have worked with are smart, and passionate about making a contribution.

ConsOpentext is constantly buying companies, which makes it difficult to have a cohesive product strategy. Customers are confused about our offerings, and the employees are confused because the change is so rapid. It is difficult to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of integrating the companies/products that are underneath the Open Text umbrella. Cross train people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and a good work-life balance

ProsOpenText is a global corporation and most of the people you'll deal with day-to-day are competent, friendly, and helpful. Working from home is not an issue and schedules are flexible.

ConsUpper management does not seem to be willing to make investments in existing products, preferring to hire large numbers of junior developers offshore.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it's good for a software organization to hire young, fresh minds, there needs to be a balanced approach. The issues with the existing products, upon which ongoing revenue depends, are not going to be solved by just adding bandwidth.

Great people, good products

Director (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with many incredible people, all dedicated to delivering outstanding solutions and services.

ConsGrowth appears to be by acquisition only.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany feels top heavy; need workers, need good leaders, and need to communicate better to staff.

Sr Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Morgan Hill, CA

ProsGood work environment. Cutting edge technology

ConsScoping projects for future releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far

Overall Review

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWork Life Balance .. ... ...

ConsNot much.... .. .. ...

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Disconnected

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues

ConsUpper management strategy don't seem to take into consideration resources, time, and feasibility to execute and the ramifications of those decisions; too much managing up and too little communication and coordination with the people who have to implement objectives

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you want a firewall between you and those who do the day-to-day execution of strategy? Will the current management culture allow you to make the dramatic changes that you feel are necessary to move the company in the right direction?

Watch your back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFrontline people are terrific - the higher you go, be careful

ConsSr Mgt clueless to the point of embarrasing

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way of people who actually know how to do their job

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsDecent culture in Canada ,,decent benefits

ConsBecoming a mini CA focused more on renewal revenue than new license revenue

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the field. New license growth should be where you focus not on renewals.

Worked for OpenText? Contribute to the Community!