OpenText

OpenText Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea

Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues(in 45 reviews)

• The work environment is one of the best I have experienced(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management(in 13 reviews)

• Seeing some sudden change in direction from upper management(in 11 reviews)

Worked hard Nothing to in return

Sales (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsI worked with really great people

ConsToo numerous to put down.
    Micromanagement but, not real direction or help from management
    Acquires Products, gets rid of good sales managers and product developers and then lets products lag behind in the market
    Tries to concepts and not real software
    No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire and keep up on the actual products so that there is something that is worth selling
    Keep good sales management
    Less reorganization
    Less micromanagement and don't hire back the managers you fire.

Good Place to work

Account Development Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPeople are very nice to work with

ConsDisorganized, Hard to navigate the company resources

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp get the company more efficient

New CEO reorganization ignites innovation and discontent

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsAdopts modern SCRUM and IDP procedures
    Promotes employee education to keep skills current

ConsDue to its shear size, is not a nimble or innovative as startups

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making decisions from the ten thousand foot view level, they fail to see what is happening in the trenches.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The executives are not up to the job

RVP (Current Employee)

ProsMany employees are really quite good and you can learn from your peers. While the technology the company has acquired has not kept pace with competitors , because there are so many components it still remains possible to assemble compelling solutions.

ConsThe current CEO, his executive hires and their 2nd level management hires brought in over the past 18 months are surprisingly weak and unprepared to lead. Sadly, the culture has evolved such that all decisions are made by the CEO and his direct reports. The result is that they're making so many trifling decisions that the quality of the important decisions has declined. Put another way, the big, strategic decisions have been consistently poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. The Board should act now to preserve the value of the company. And the publicly announced cash dividend? Cancel it, take the stock price hit, and preserve the cash. The company will need the cash to ride through coming storm.

Knowledgeable coworkers willing to share.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with and the company recognizes you regularly.

ConsOverly complicated product. Poor on-boarding process.

Awful company in all regards

Regional Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs hard as I try to think of some pros, I really can't come up with any.

Cons- no innovation at all
    - all products are merely on life support to wring every last maintenance dollar from products that were innovative 10+ years ago
    - executive management is terrible
    - <10% of sales reps make quota
    - turnover is extremely high
    - anyone who was good has left (most right after their company was acquired into this mess

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating your employees with respect, invest of innovation, not maintenance renewals. This is the least customer-friendly organization I've seen in my 25+ year career. 95% of existing customers hate OpenText - they are just stuck on a particular product, and it's too costly to migrate off.

Doing OK but not leading edge

Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSolid company but far from leading edge.
    Stable management

ConsNot in a growing segment

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up

Meh

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsExtremely large, non-integrated bag of solutions to sell, huge customer base, some solutions are very mature, if you can find them...there are MANY very intelligent people buried within the employee base

ConsHuge % of unhappy or ignored customers across all solution silos, new senior management including new CEO come from Oracle/CA background, compensation and % of overachievers dropping steadily in new fiscal year, solution consultants not compensated on deals so they have no vested interest in going above and beyond, huge services quotas killing annual OTE

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the Canadian culture, focus on compensating very smart people to overachieve and take advantage of the very wide solution set, invest in your employees instead of slashing costs across all expense areas driving even more employee turnover

Awful company to be a sales rep

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSorry I cannot think of any.

ConsTerrible leadership, zero focus on product innovation or integrating all the legacy products in the stack via acquisition, and the EIM thing is not a vision but a pipe dream that is totally divorced from the reality of the company's product portfolio. Halfway through this fiscal year, over 2/3 of the sales reps had sold less than $100K in total revenue and less than 10 reps were on pace to make quota. Yet somehow, the company keeps reporting earnings growth. Virtually every rep in the entire company is currently interviewing elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease explain how the company continues to report record earnings while over 90% of the sales force is under quota.

I like the people and the company has been good to me and for me.

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood people who work hard and want to do the right thing. Financially, the company performs well and grows consistently year over year. The benefits are decent, including educational reimbursement and access to various internal professional develeopment resources.

ConsWe get compartmentalized sometimes, and disconnected. It can be challenging to complete tasks or projects that require strong coordination between departments or teams, especially when geographically dispersed. The Customer Support is always under tight budget constraints (just a fact of life, I think).

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what to say here.

Worked for OpenText? Contribute to the Community!