OpenText

OpenText Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jan 30, 2014

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea

Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues(in 45 reviews)

• The work environment is one of the best I have experienced(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management(in 13 reviews)

• Seeing some sudden change in direction from upper management(in 11 reviews)

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Long Term Opportunity

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompetitive People to work with
    Good Compensation and Top level Benefits
    Great Executive Leadership

ConsAcquisitions results in too many separate units within organization
    Slow progress due to formal performance review

Advice to Senior ManagementShould focus on unifying new products/organization as One

Only join if you don't expect to get paid your commission

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI honestly can't think of a single one. This has been the worst place to work, and I can't wait to find a new job! Good news is, they're hiring! I bet you can't wait to sign up! One more opening will be available soon.

ConsPeople are getting fired all over the place. Organic growth is non-existant. The products don't work. Support increases and acquisition are the only ways the company is increasing profits. I pity the Wall Street investors who can't see that this business is a house of cards that is about to topple.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Pay your top people fairly and maybe they will have some interest in not quitting. Management team is disconnected and doesn't care that the core of the company is rotten.

Awful company in all regards

Regional Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs hard as I try to think of some pros, I really can't come up with any.

Cons- no innovation at all
    - all products are merely on life support to wring every last maintenance dollar from products that were innovative 10+ years ago
    - executive management is terrible
    - <10% of sales reps make quota
    - turnover is extremely high
    - anyone who was good has left (most right after their company was acquired into this mess

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating your employees with respect, invest of innovation, not maintenance renewals. This is the least customer-friendly organization I've seen in my 25+ year career. 95% of existing customers hate OpenText - they are just stuck on a particular product, and it's too costly to migrate off.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Combine the excitement of working in software with the strength and benefits of a large company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsUnlike many software companies, Open Text has a Big Picture/Long Term view of the market and its offerings, and the treatment of its employees. Many of my peers have been promoted. Open Text provides an excellent work/ life balance for me. I believe that the strategies we have in place for our offerings will greatly benefit our customers and that Open Text actually understands the value of content - all content: documents, records, email, video, faxes, web content and wants to make it all search able and add on on real social networking and collaboration tools to the content - it's very exciting!

ConsIt's a big company, and sometimes it's difficult to navigate

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing forward. Our content experts strategy is the way to go.

Worked for OpenText? Contribute to the Community!