OpenText Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.8

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea
Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues (in 47 reviews)

• Customers are always happy, which in turn creates a more positive work environment (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management (in 13 reviews)

• Even when the budget isn't frozen good luck trying to squeeze a dime out of upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Large company with good career path options

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I thought the benefits and compensation were very competitive on a national scale and I was able to live remotely so long as I could access an airport. I really enjoyed my coworkers and direct management team.

Cons

I didn't find the culture to be as entrepreneurial as I would have liked and found it to be a little slavish to process. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not the culture that I enjoy. Also when I was employed there, there was little opportunity to work or meet others in our group in face to face settings. That may have changed.

Great place to start in the Enterprise software industry!

I have been working at OpenText full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Customers are always happy, which in turn creates a more positive work environment...... 2. Coworkers are smart, open minded and EXTREMELY helpful! Haven't come across a "bad attitude" yet and I actually like to come to work every day..... 3. Benefits are also great (especially compared to those of most US companies).... 4. Salary is ok.... 5. Management is always open to suggestions and is very "fair".... 6. I can go to dr's appointments, go on vacation, etc. without negative pressure from management. They actually encourage us to use our vacation, instead of making us feel bad about taking off.

Cons

1. Compensation could be better..... 2. Middle management doesn't seem too involved in growth sometimes...... 3. As someone else mentioned there wasn't a great process for performance review, however this has started changing in the past month or so.... 4. Also the company tends to acquire more than they produce native applications, but again this seems to be changing as we make a shift towards cloud offerings..... 5. On board training needs more structure.... 6. Doesn't seem like many opportunities exist to move up, at least from a sales perspective

Better training and performance review.

Good people, Good Products, Poor Management

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

-- Good people in the field that truly want to help each other and do the right things for their customers.
    -- OT is an acquisition driven company and has inherited good solutions from many of the organizations that they acquired.
    -- Depth and breadth of software suite can be a differentiator in a sales cycle

Cons

-- Mis-management of acquired companies - OT typically retains the product but underestimates the value of the people so deep, long-term knowledge of the solution set and client base walk out the door
    -- Executive / Upper Management make spreadsheet decisions without assessing / understanding the impact on the employee base
    -- Field management not empowered
    -- With leadership changes in the last 2 years, OT has a heavily CA-influenced culture
    -- A lot of talk about strong culture and values, being the best place to work, etc. -- but actions don't back this up (e.g., surveys sent to employees but then nothing comes of the results)
    -- Sales and Presales turn over has made it difficult to build and sustain momentum

-- Respect your teams and solicit input from your tenured employees. Don't go through the motions on this -- if you meet with them, actually listen to what they have to say and internalize how you, as leaders of this company, can address their concerns.
    -- Add some diversity to your leadership team -- for a company as large at OT is, this shouldn't be difficult and will not only introduce new perspectives to the ELT strategic conversations but will also provide role models for the field employees.
    -- Sincerely communicate. The emails sent with pictures of leadership in the header bar come across as a sales pitch. Lose the glitz and communicate both positive and negatives to rebuild your credibility with the team. They want to love the company and want a leader to follow -- but are tired of the marketing rhetoric.

Organized Chaos with Interesting People

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working from is great but that means lots of travel. The work changes often so there are constant new challenges; you never get comfortable and feel you can stay there. That can be either bad or good depending on your personality. Get to work with some really great people across the globe. Most colleagues are smart, competent, fun and engaged. Most everyone has a entrepreneurial attitude.

Cons

Never comfortable with employment status. Too many other companies purchased causes duplication of roles. Lack of quality communication causes uneasiness.

Work on better communication and provide stability in the workplace.

One big Ponzi scheme

I have been working at OpenText full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exec leadership team seems very optimistic.
    Company has a "soul" because they haven't laid off 18,000 people (all at once), nor have they shot down an airliner.
    This cash cow had higher net profit than Amazon.

Cons

Survival of the company is predicated solely on repeated acquisitions. Organic growth is not an option, either because management doesn't care or doesn't know how. Cycle goes: Acquire company, lay off as much staff as possible, write off whatever they can, collect legacy revenues, report record growth, then when revenues start to decline (which they will when you don't support and grow with your existing customers), do another acquisition.
    Employee culture is one of "the walking dead". Everyone is a survivor of a previous acquisition and operates under the specter of being laid off at any time. There is no motivation to excel, only fear. Everyone knows they are expendable and therefore allow themselves to be overworked. Human capital has become human cattle.
    Absolutely appalling level of micromanagement by CEO, which is understandable when you manage a house of cards like OpenText.
    No resources expended in either truly integrating all the acquisitions, or in developing a talented employee base.

Find a larger entity to acquire OpenText. One who will run it like a business instead of a revenue-laundering clearinghouse. Take your payouts. Leave.

stay far far away!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros at all. except that they are hiring. Worst place to work

Cons

Do yourself and your career a favor and do not join the Inside Sales division.

Very nice company to work for!

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

Some of the Pros of working at OpenText are:
    1. The Customers are GREAT! Rarely does anyone call in irate.
    2. Management is SUPER!
    3. Learning new platforms and services that we support.

Cons

Some cons for me are:
    1. THEY ARE NOT HIRING PERMANENT! I've been there are a while now as a temp and still haven't been hired.
    2. The pay is NOT on par with other jobs in the same field.

Hire and pay!

Good place to start, IT wise, but not for a long-term career.

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at OpenText full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers were among the most knowledgeable group of people and fun to work with

Cons

Any level of management has absolutely no clue on what they're doing. Most of them were granted their positions and there really was no EEOE for those roles.

Pay market value. OT has a high turn over rate because employees learn good job skills, but remain poorly paid, then find better paying jobs based on the skills they learned at OT.

Solid Company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great work environment. Using latest technologies in new projects.

Cons

Seeing some sudden change in direction from upper management. Not sure if all possible alternatives are being discussed or if it is being mandated.

Direction seems to be correct. I would like to see top level management discuss mandates with teams that are being impacted most by decision before it is made.

Time to leave

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people and some solid technologies, good benefits

Cons

New management is awful
    Company morphing to CA mentality might be good for stock price but not for employees
    Sales reps never ever make quota - don't even think about coming here.....you will be sorry as the OTE is horribly misleading

Get a clue on what to do with large existing customers who pay big $$$'s in maintenance every year but get little incremental value. I complete redo would fundamentally change the company but no one has the guts to take that risk