OpenText

Updated November 25, 2014
2.7

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea
Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues (in 50 reviews)

• Customers are always happy, which in turn creates a more positive work environment (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management (in 15 reviews)

• Even when the budget isn't frozen good luck trying to squeeze a dime out of upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Recently acquired by OpenText

Current Employee - Director, Product Development in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Director, Product Development in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company seems sincere to be employee friendly and do show they care. Good recognition programs and their culture seems to be entrepreneurial. Work-life balance is good. technology stack is exiting and I think is well positioned for the future

Cons

Career growth may be limited, OpenText is composed of many small acquisitions and most location are too small to offer localized career growth. Salaries in my opinion seem to lag its peers in my region. Very cost conscious company, almost to an extreme. Almost no money is spent of employee development. Extremely hierarchical and almost everything required CEO approval

Give more localize budgetary and approval control to Directors so that they can be more nimble and have more flexibility to meet their goals.

Not What It Use to Be

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My peers are often the very best part of my working day. Intelligent smart hardworking people who want to make a difference. Hard to do in a broken system.

Cons

There is little to no respect to those who have dedicated themselves in their areas of expertise - you are not rewarded for being a leader in your field. Promotions come from being a buddy with the CEO or someone else in his entourage vs merit based.

Look at the broken processes within the company itself - stop trying to buy an identify vs forging one yourself.

A terrible sales culture - getting worse every day

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at OpenText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you look hard, you can still find vestiges of the once-great OTX culture - one of teamwork and cooperation. If you are one of a small percentage of sales execs making their number, the money can be good.

Cons

The worst parts of old economy "revolving door/backstabbing/old boy..." sales culture are taking over quickly. These include:

- Constant scrutiny of every part of your day w/ calendar audits and expense analysis - now the #1 job of sales operations.
    - Management (not leadership) by KPI's and dashboards - "dash-boarding" is held up as the most important behaviors for managers.
    - Insistence that managers separate themselves from employees - you need to be feared rather than liked or respected.
    - Hiring ex-cronies who hang together like a college fraternity and use personal nicknames.
    - Absolute lack of diversity in the management ranks.
    - Mandatory office time w/ remote employees that cannot get budget approved to travel.
    - A minimum 18-month ramp time w/ little or no draw and no forgiveness from management.

Look to build a strong enduring culture that favors external competition over internal competition - one where values are DEMONSTRATED not jut posted on banners.

Large organization that loses its remote staff

I worked at OpenText full-time

Pros

Good compensation with some very talented staff and people who will often go the extra mile, just not enough of them

Cons

No career support or growth, you're on your own!
    Poor HR and internal support, they are only interested in the companies interests, not it's employees
    Ever changing staff
    Lack of strong middle management and guidance especially if you work remotely.

Invest more in the people that work there especially remote staff

What a waste of a once-great company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the people that made the place great are hanging on and continuing to go above-and-beyond. Legacy Canadian staff is hanging on despite constant jokes and demeaning remarks by US-based management.

Cons

New CA-led culture has devalued the work force, laying off people every couple of quarters. Sales and marketing in complete disarray and sales staff (including sales consultants) leaving in droves. Sales management is encouraged to use KPI's (multi-colored bubbles) to rate staff instead of engaging face-to-face. If you've never had a "calendar audit", it's when management sits down w/ you and reviews all entries in your Outlook calendar for the month. If you enjoy this level of oversight, scrutiny and invasion of privacy, I encourage you top join.

Quit talking about improvement and actually make changes to improve the culture and values of the company. Changing the HR VP will not improve employee morale. Publish results of employee survey and face up to results no matter how bad they are.

Just horrible...

I worked at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Good benefits
    - Some very nice people

Cons

- Management that smiles as they slowly push a knife in your back
    - Lack of transparency with management
    - No room to grow internally
    - Lack of integration with acquired technologies / 5 product pillars
    - Little work/life balance

The company once was great to work for, but went downhill quickly when new management was brought in to replace John Shackleton (CEO) and James Latham (CMO). In addition, they brought in a new person to head corporate communications that doesn't have a good grasp on marketing and is absolutely miserable to work with. Since the change of management, talented people have jumped ship at the first opportunity. It's time for the Board to take a long, hard look at the current management and to decide if this is what really works. Often it is better to make your employees happy in order to get the most of your revenues.

Organized Chaos with Interesting People

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working from is great but that means lots of travel. The work changes often so there are constant new challenges; you never get comfortable and feel you can stay there. That can be either bad or good depending on your personality. Get to work with some really great people across the globe. Most colleagues are smart, competent, fun and engaged. Most everyone has a entrepreneurial attitude.

Cons

Never comfortable with employment status. Too many other companies purchased causes duplication of roles. Lack of quality communication causes uneasiness.

Work on better communication and provide stability in the workplace.

Large company with good career path options

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I thought the benefits and compensation were very competitive on a national scale and I was able to live remotely so long as I could access an airport. I really enjoyed my coworkers and direct management team.

Cons

I didn't find the culture to be as entrepreneurial as I would have liked and found it to be a little slavish to process. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not the culture that I enjoy. Also when I was employed there, there was little opportunity to work or meet others in our group in face to face settings. That may have changed.

Good people, Good Products, Poor Management

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

-- Good people in the field that truly want to help each other and do the right things for their customers.
    -- OT is an acquisition driven company and has inherited good solutions from many of the organizations that they acquired.
    -- Depth and breadth of software suite can be a differentiator in a sales cycle

Cons

-- Mis-management of acquired companies - OT typically retains the product but underestimates the value of the people so deep, long-term knowledge of the solution set and client base walk out the door
    -- Executive / Upper Management make spreadsheet decisions without assessing / understanding the impact on the employee base
    -- Field management not empowered
    -- With leadership changes in the last 2 years, OT has a heavily CA-influenced culture
    -- A lot of talk about strong culture and values, being the best place to work, etc. -- but actions don't back this up (e.g., surveys sent to employees but then nothing comes of the results)
    -- Sales and Presales turn over has made it difficult to build and sustain momentum

-- Respect your teams and solicit input from your tenured employees. Don't go through the motions on this -- if you meet with them, actually listen to what they have to say and internalize how you, as leaders of this company, can address their concerns.
    -- Add some diversity to your leadership team -- for a company as large at OT is, this shouldn't be difficult and will not only introduce new perspectives to the ELT strategic conversations but will also provide role models for the field employees.
    -- Sincerely communicate. The emails sent with pictures of leadership in the header bar come across as a sales pitch. Lose the glitz and communicate both positive and negatives to rebuild your credibility with the team. They want to love the company and want a leader to follow -- but are tired of the marketing rhetoric.

Great place to start in the Enterprise software industry!

I have been working at OpenText full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Customers are always happy, which in turn creates a more positive work environment...... 2. Coworkers are smart, open minded and EXTREMELY helpful! Haven't come across a "bad attitude" yet and I actually like to come to work every day..... 3. Benefits are also great (especially compared to those of most US companies).... 4. Salary is ok.... 5. Management is always open to suggestions and is very "fair".... 6. I can go to dr's appointments, go on vacation, etc. without negative pressure from management. They actually encourage us to use our vacation, instead of making us feel bad about taking off.

Cons

1. Compensation could be better..... 2. Middle management doesn't seem too involved in growth sometimes...... 3. As someone else mentioned there wasn't a great process for performance review, however this has started changing in the past month or so.... 4. Also the company tends to acquire more than they produce native applications, but again this seems to be changing as we make a shift towards cloud offerings..... 5. On board training needs more structure.... 6. Doesn't seem like many opportunities exist to move up, at least from a sales perspective

Better training and performance review.