OpenText

OpenText Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea

Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues (in 45 reviews)

• The work environment is one of the best I have experienced (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management (in 13 reviews)

• Seeing some sudden change in direction from upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsDecent culture in Canada ,,decent benefits

ConsBecoming a mini CA focused more on renewal revenue than new license revenue

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the field. New license growth should be where you focus not on renewals.

Getting the help you need to succeed take too much effort

Senior Solution Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompletely virtual work environment and if you thrive in an environment where you can be anonymous, then this works well.

ConsManagement has not gotten the sales organization into the same room for more than 18 months. The relationships between technical pre-sales and the sales organization is dead. High turn-over leads to constant re-training. The products are aging and sales cycles are long.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring people together, build relationships and stop trying to do everything virtual. Fix your support system and give people help to win big opportunities instead of leaving them on an island to fend for themselves.

Lack of vision for new, cutting edge products, growth mainly accomplished by gobbling up small companies.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsAt my local site, management and co-workers are a good bunch of people. Friendly and professional work environment. Benefits are decent (for these days and times). I was very well treated. I was not there long enough to form an opinion of higher up in OpenText.

ConsI worked in the technical support section for a major software application -- basically, a support call center. Mostly telephone work, a bit done by email. Analysts are on a time clock every minute of the day, all day -- rather oppressive in my opinion. The productivity metric is how many calls are processed during a given shift. Very difficult to get a merit raise in OpenText, at least in my part of it. Formal, training to do the job and provide quality support to the customers is almost nonexistent. Everyone learns the job by getting on the phone with a customer, pretending he knows more than he really does, and hopes he can fly by the seat of his pants enough to learn as much as possible from each call to better support the next customer with a similar problem. The old-timers told me it takes at least one year before feeling comfortable in the job. Last, pay is on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink "outside the box". Emphasize better training for new employees in jobs that require such training. Pay your people better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You could do much better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople who have been with OpenText for a while are smart and caring. Nice offices and decent benefits.

ConsI worked for OpenText for five years as part of the marketing group, coming onboard as part of one of the company's many acquisitions. The first few years were great, but as soon as the company took on a new CEO, and then replaced it's CMO, the environment at the company changed dramatically. It went from a company where everyone cared for each other in a team environment, to one in which there was back-stabbing and everyone was on edge about losing their jobs. The new management has brought in their cronies from past jobs who are inexperienced in enterprise software and often take credit for work done by people who report into them. There are very few opportunities to advance your career internally. For a leader in Enterprise Content Management, this company still has its employees submit expense reports via mail with original receipts scotch taped to a paper form. That should tell you a lot right there.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and drop the superior attitude... We're all intelligent people and many great ideas start from those below you. Try conducting anonymous 360-degree reviews so that you can learn from your own mistakes and not just report downstream. Give your employees a break and let them work on successfully integrating technologies instead of acquiring another new company every three months.

Poor leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVacation time is very generous

ConsCan't trust mgt they don't understand their roles

Advice to Senior Managementbe qualified for your job

Could be better, Could be worse

Professional Services (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company with good benefits. Attempts to maintain open communications.

ConsFragmented product strategy due to acquisitions. If you are part of an acquisition you will be lost in the shuffle eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acquiring more products and then stranding their customers.

Only join if you don't expect to get paid your commission

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI honestly can't think of a single one. This has been the worst place to work, and I can't wait to find a new job! Good news is, they're hiring! I bet you can't wait to sign up! One more opening will be available soon.

ConsPeople are getting fired all over the place. Organic growth is non-existant. The products don't work. Support increases and acquisition are the only ways the company is increasing profits. I pity the Wall Street investors who can't see that this business is a house of cards that is about to topple.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Pay your top people fairly and maybe they will have some interest in not quitting. Management team is disconnected and doesn't care that the core of the company is rotten.

Former employee of Vignette

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat work environment, smart, talented, loyal people who owned the company vision. Management was great, they promoted from within, whenever possible. Friends who now work at OpenText are happy.

ConsThe product was extremely technical

Stay away ...

R&D (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of good people that still work for the company, but unfortunately I don't see any in my reporting structure

ConsVery poor communication, little consideration for employees, poor management decisions, low pay, decent vision but the day to day isn't attached to reality, micro-managing from on high, constant change/disruption with expectations that the employees will pick up the pieces and work overtime to achieve what is then required with little information but many demands.

Ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowing through acquisition. Vision for company direction. A lot of potential if strategy can be executed. Company has maintained profitability.

ConsChallenges getting products to match direction. Little commitment to employees of acquired companies. Businesses spread across many products and locations. Limited organic growth.

Worked for OpenText? Contribute to the Community!